Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I'm wondering if this is a data play. Not phone service, but more to fixed cell data for homes, businesses, etc.

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
This is awesome. Google will drive competition; hardcore. They'll introduce features others such as StraightTalk, Boost Mobile, etc. do not offer. With competitive pricing!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!
I may not change from ATT right away but it will be nice to see better prices from ATT / VZ.

mattdocs12345

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
Well this is a good news. The more competition for ATT/Verizone monopoly the better. Hope apple will get into the business too.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Google bought into the two carriers that have the worst U.S. coverage. I wonder if part of their deal will be to use their technology to expand their coverage (whether its floating balloons or whatever). Obviously, Sprint and T-Mobile haven't built out as many towers as AT&T and Verizon. Maybe this is one way to fix that in a more innovative way.

T-Mobile has been adding more and more customers each quarter, and they are definitely ramping up on tower upgrades , 700 and 1900 bands showing up in a few different states by the end of 2015 I see them covering more customers, they are the only one that seems t gain customers and create a buzz lately

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
"Roll out in limited cities like Google Fiber".

If they follow the same roll out speed as Google fiber. Good luck getting it anytime soon. More like never.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
I always feel like the only Sprint subscriber here but what the heck. If you live in an area that has LTE or better yet SPARK then sprint really is a good option for the money. I have rarely had service issues or dropped call issues. The only problem was the SLOW 3G service but Sprint has been aggressively building out the LTE network and SPARK is very fast.

I wonder if you will be able to leverage both networks, if so this will be very enticing.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
There must be some endgame goal here for Google. What are they trying to ultimately achieve. It's like a master chess player making seemingly random and unconnected moves that manifest their brilliance in the end.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
There must be some endgame goal here for Google. What are they trying to ultimately achieve. It's like a master chess player making seemingly random and unconnected moves that manifest their brilliance in the end.

Maybe they will end up making a bid for one of the carriers in the future.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Google bought into the two carriers that have the worst U.S. coverage. I wonder if part of their deal will be to use their technology to expand their coverage (whether its floating balloons or whatever). Obviously, Sprint and T-Mobile haven't built out as many towers as AT&T and Verizon. Maybe this is one way to fix that in a more innovative way.

Deutsche Telekom admitted that T-Mobile can't be the "UnCarrier" forever since they need to make money sooner or later. Perhaps this is part of the strategy. Get Google to bring in customers and perhaps they will take an interest in making an investment.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

One of the biggest irritations for both Google and Apple have been wireless carriers such as Verizon and AT&T. Now, Google is trying to do something about it and this move could just be a way of getting their foot in the door. A first step to something more ambitious.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So Google's bringing their deep pockets to the realm of carrier competition?

Even if I never become a Google carrier customer, it sounds more likely to good (or nothing) than harm!

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I'm wondering if this is a data play. Not phone service, but more to fixed cell data for homes, businesses, etc.

Going out on a limb, I'll say, very likely. ;)

----------

See above post. ;)

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
One of the biggest irritations for both Google and Apple have been wireless carriers such as Verizon and AT&T. Now, Google is trying to do something about it and this move could just be a way of getting their foot in the door. A first step to something more ambitious.

Apple shouldve done this. Apple is playing it safe and it sucks.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Come to canada!

I have a lot of friends and family in Canada and all they have nothing but bad things to say about their carriers. I'm guessing you share their thoughts!

I think one of my family members pays something around $80/mo for 200MB of data.

Funny, I'm on T-Mobile and when I go to Canada I get unlimited data for free!

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009

I also wonder what is behind the G's move. We know that ultimately they sucked in hardware; Motorola being sold, Google glass is a flop. Chromebooks are OK, I guess it drives traffic to Google services such as Gmail where G puts their ads.

However internet provider?

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Yes, I'll take monopoly with a side of world domination, please.

And for desert, a big helping of NSA data sniffing with a dollop of back door.

Mmmmmm....yummy. Just break my front door down now please!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

That's exactly what it is.

I have mixed feelings about it.

I knew that it was coming soon, but I was expecting multiple carriers to be fighting over the customers. That way there would be competition, unlike right now where we have regional monopolies for broadband (either Time Warner or Comcast or Verizon covers you. Maybe you live in a fringe area where two of their regional monopolies overlap so you actually have a choice, but most people have none. You either get screwed over by your only broadband option or you get nothing.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.