Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
For most of us, our machines don't come in until tomorrow or early next week. Mine comes in friday but I know that redheeler has received his.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
12" PowerBook G4 pics

Here's the first one, in stunning 6000x4000 resolution.

Attachments

• PowerBook G4.jpg
    PowerBook G4.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,472

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Attention friends:

I have decided recently that I am taking a break from my entire hobby until the end of this school year. I have a lot to focus on and I just need to relax from my on-going hobby, which I have had for ~5 years now. That means that I will NOT be using MacRumors, I will not be posting to my beloved YouTube channel, maccollectorZ, and I am not going to be finding deals on old Macs.

As a last note, until the end of this school year, I'd like to say that I received my PowerBook G4 yesterday, Jan. 21st; I had ordered it on Monday or so. Overall, it's okay, but I was disappointed with some wear on it. Underneath the machine, there are spots of wear that are so bad, the bare aluminum is visible... three keys have smudged wear on them, and there is a small, bent part of the aluminum, right over the screen latch button. The charger it came with (the BRICK itself) was still factory-wrapped. I hadn't realized that until after I had peeled it off. The brick itself is brand new underneath. I wish I had left it, had I known that it was Apple's seal on it. Lastly, the battery holds up to 21 minutes of charge.

$46 is a good price, and it's running nicely, but I was a bit annoyed that these were advertised as being in good condition. I know it's just the underside of the laptop, but it annoyed me nonetheless. My PBG4 15" has some worn keys, so the fact that I couldn't escape that with my 12" model was another let-down. Since I am taking a break from everything, I don't have the time to complain or get my money back; granted, I am still happy with the machine.......

I just wish I had been able to message the seller in advance and state that I specifically wanted the cleanest model they had in stock. It seems like another so far has had a better deal than I have. But who knows, maybe someone could have worse! I hope the other buyers will be receiving nice-nice ones.

That is all, and I bid everyone here farewell, until my return this summer.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 195
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    791.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 249

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Attention friends:

I have decided recently that I am taking a break from my entire hobby until the end of this school year. I have a lot to focus on and I just need to relax from my on-going hobby, which I have had for ~5 years now. That means that I will NOT be using MacRumors, I will not be posting to my beloved YouTube channel, maccollectorZ, and I am not going to be finding deals on old Macs.

As a last note, until the end of this school year, I'd like to say that I received my PowerBook G4 yesterday, Jan. 21st; I had ordered it on Monday or so. Overall, it's okay, but I was disappointed with some wear on it. Underneath the machine, there are spots of wear that are so bad, the bare aluminum is visible... three keys have smudged wear on them, and there is a small, bent part of the aluminum, right over the screen latch button. The charger it came with (the BRICK itself) was still factory-wrapped. I hadn't realized that until after I had peeled it off. The brick itself is brand new underneath. I wish I had left it, had I known that it was Apple's seal on it. Lastly, the battery holds up to 21 minutes of charge.

$46 is a good price, and it's running nicely, but I was a bit annoyed that these were advertised as being in good condition. I know it's just the underside of the laptop, but it annoyed me nonetheless. My PBG4 15" has some worn keys, so the fact that I couldn't escape that with my 12" model was another let-down. Since I am taking a break from everything, I don't have the time to complain or get my money back; granted, I am still happy with the machine.......

I just wish I had been able to message the seller in advance and state that I specifically wanted the cleanest model they had in stock. It seems like another so far has had a better deal than I have. But who knows, maybe someone could have worse! I hope the other buyers will be receiving nice-nice ones.

That is all, and I bid everyone here farewell, until my return this summer.

I'm thinking of returning mine because of the backlight bleed, actually. It has a bit of case separation and some scratching on the bottom as well, unfortunately. At least the keyboard isn't worn that much (or at all), but the battery holds no charge.

Your charger was factory wrapped? Mine came used, but it is still an Apple one. Really want to keep it for my iBook G4, the battery on it does hold a decent charge.

Enjoy your break. The MR PowerPC community will miss you during that time.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Alright, I know this is for the ebay thread but I'm in a similar boat!

My 1GHz 12" that I just bought has issues and a parts 1.5GHz 12" is being sent to me. In total, I am $45 into it but it'll soon be a 1.5, does this count :D

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Perhaps people who are dissatisfied can ask for a partial refund from the seller rather than return the machines?

Good idea. Mine isn't quite as bad as the pics PowerMac G4 MDD showed, but the backlight bleed and case separation are both very annoying issues. The seller certainly didn't mention anything about backlight bleed in the listing.

Where did you guys get the 12 inch powerbooks for $46?

eBay. There is another thread about the initial purchase:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1839022/

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Good idea. Mine isn't quite as bad as the pics PowerMac G4 MDD showed, but the backlight bleed and case separation are both very annoying issues. The seller certainly didn't mention anything about backlight bleed in the listing.

I do not think that the seller was dishonest especially since he or she was selling a whole bunch but I also believe that they should have disclosed larger issues like on PowerMac G4 MDD's PowerBook in a separate auction. If they offer a partial refund perhaps you can re-sell the machines later.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I do not think that the seller was dishonest especially since he or she was selling a whole bunch but I also believe that they should have disclosed larger issues like on PowerMac G4 MDD's PowerBook in a separate auction. If they offer a partial refund perhaps you can re-sell the machines later.

Agreed. Comparing his pics to mine the difference is huge, mine has almost no wear and the bottom is nearly completely clean with the exception of some scratching on the battery. I'm still debating what to do about the backlight bleed.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Agreed. Comparing his pics to mine the difference is huge, mine has almost no wear and the bottom is nearly completely clean with the exception of some scratching on the battery. I'm still debating what to do about the backlight bleed.

Can you post a picture of the issues with yours?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.