Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
I would leave negative/neutral feedback and state these problems, because the listings do state that the wear and tear was going to be normal and nothing like what people are posting here.
I disagree. These things are 9 to 10 years old and sold for $46 delivered. Any rational person would find the condition of these systems to be reasonable condition given their age and the price paid.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I disagree. These things are 9 to 10 years old and sold for $46 delivered. Any rational person would find the condition of these systems to be reasonable condition given their age and the price paid.
My feelings also, and even though mine, when it finally arrives will have cost me $80 and change what with shipping and the Canadian dollar difference, I'm not expecting too much.
Worst case, I could part it out and more then make my money back.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
He did not request the cleanest one. He stated he wished he messaged the seller and asked for the cleanest one.

I am choosing to not be on here for a while, as I have stated, but I will add some last info about the PowerBook, since I just got this thing...

They said I could return the PowerBook for a full refund, or keep it with a $5 "partial" refund... seems pretty weak. I really like this machine and would like to keep it, but $5 is NOT enough. Considering this is how I am left, before I take a long break from my hobby, I am pretty disappointed :(.

The thing is, it's not easy to find a 46-dollar PowerBook. It's not like I can send it back and use the money on another one. Then again, I cannot believe I got the worst luck of the draw and they are only gonna give me $5 back for it. I would like to encourage other buyers here to PLEASE notify the sellers if you did not get what was described. Maybe they will understand that there are multiple unsatisfied buyers, and perhaps they will take better action.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
They said I could return the PowerBook for a full refund, or keep it with a $5 "partial" refund... seems pretty weak. I really like this machine and would like to keep it, but $5 is NOT enough. Considering this is how I am left, before I take a long break from my hobby, I am pretty disappointed :(.
Send it back and you'll be no worse off than you were prior to buying the laptop.

The thing is, it's not easy to find a 46-dollar PowerBook. It's not like I can send it back and use the money on another one. Then again, I cannot believe I got the worst luck of the draw and they are only gonna give me $5 back for it. I would like to encourage other buyers here to PLEASE notify the sellers if you did not get what was described. Maybe they will understand that there are multiple unsatisfied buyers, and perhaps they will take better action.

It's not a $46 PowerBook. It's a $46 sale of which a portion of that was shipping. The price you paid for the PowerBook was less than $46.

The seller has offered you a partial refund. If the amount is unsatisfactory you have the option to return it for a full refund. As you said: Where can you find such a system for $41?

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago

I agree. If PowerMac MDD's Powerbook fully works then it is in good condition, even if the bottom finish has worn off. It's an old machine, it wasn't advertised as mint. It's not smashed or bent, it's just the finish on the bottom of the machine that you do not look at is worn. Also, when a seller has more than 1 used or refurbished items they cannot picture all of them. There are bound to be ones that are in worse shape than others. Some people want to see the machine they are buying, myself included. But the other machine pictured that has the backlight leak, the cosmetic appearance of the machine is far better than just good. It's luck of the draw, but I don't think from the two machines we've seen anyone should be disappointed for $46 shipped. Proper shipping has to cost $12-16 per machine, (more like $16 once insurance is paid) so the actual cost was around $30. Anyone not happy will have to pay that $12-16 to ship it back, so the choice becomes, ship it back and lose $12-16 or pay $30 and have a decent old Mac.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
I agree. If PowerMac MDD's Powerbook fully works then it is in good condition, even if the bottom finish has worn off. It's an old machine, it wasn't advertised as mint. It's not smashed or bent, it's just the finish on the bottom of the machine that you do not look at is worn. Also, when a seller has more than 1 used or refurbished items they cannot picture all of them. There are bound to be ones that are in worse shape than others. Some people want to see the machine they are buying, myself included. But the other machine pictured that has the backlight leak, the cosmetic appearance of the machine is far better than just good. It's luck of the draw, but I don't think from the two machines we've seen anyone should be disappointed for $46 shipped. Proper shipping has to cost $12-16 per machine, (more like $16 once insurance is paid) so the actual cost was around $30. Anyone not happy will have to pay that $12-16 to ship it back, so the choice becomes, ship it back and lose $12-16 or pay $30 and have a decent old Mac.
I agree with you regarding the cost of shipping. If the seller is going to pay the return shipping (not sure he will in this case however I am returning an item and the seller is paying for the return shipping) MDD might be able to use this to his advantage. He could propose a $10 - $15 discount under the rational the seller will be out this amount of money due to return shipping costs and it would be easier for both parties to just discount the system by the same amount and be done with it.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I am choosing to not be on here for a while, as I have stated, but I will add some last info about the PowerBook, since I just got this thing...

Is it possible to give just buying new Macs a break and not leave MacRumors? All of us bring info to the table for others and you often post great information.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

I have messaged the seller with the issues mine has (severe backlight bleed and dead battery). At least they will know that more than one buyer is disappointed.

Is it possible to give just buying new Macs a break and not leave MacRumors? All of us bring info to the table for others and you often post great information.

If he's like me then MacRumors is part of the problem. I spend way too much time on here and am not afraid to admit it :)

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm enjoying this thread and will also post photos when mine arrives.
I'm pretty sure I'll be "tail end charlie" as expected delivery is Jan 29-Feb 09.
Come to think of it, this thread might be dead long before I even get mine.:eek:

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
Can't find anything wrong with the one I received. Looks to be in cherry condition. Very happy with screen quality.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
One more. Will post pictures of the screen tonight. Battery has been tested and lasted longer than the 30 min I had to test it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm patiently awaiting the delivery of mine. Hopefully I'll be able to get pictures posted this evening.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 4.26.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 4.26.37 PM.png
    72 KB · Views: 92

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Mine just got here.

Overall, I don't have a bad impression of it, although there's a very serious ding in one corner and some slight backlight bleed along the bottom.

I'll report back when I've had a chance to use it.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Can't find anything wrong with the one I received. Looks to be in cherry condition. Very happy with screen quality.

Wow, that one looks great, may even have fewer scratches than mine. Glad to see at least one success story.

Haven't heard back from the seller yet. May be looking at a return here. That backlight bleed is just as bad in person as the photo I posted showed.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

I am flattered that others enjoy my presence here on the forum! :) I enjoy hearing from all of you as well; I am sorry that I will not be participating for the next 5-or-so months.

However, the 'break' I am taking is going for my entire hobby. This year, I really have to buckle down and focus on college and activities that have to do with my future career interests. I could be considered a little bit TOO interested in computers, for someone who isn't necessarily looking for a career in computer tech. Who knows, maybe my interests could shift and could fall into programming, along with my design interests... but for now, I have been advised to take a break from my strong interests in my hobby. In no way has the PowerBook situation prompted this, but it sort of WAS a disappointing start to this venture of mine.

After a little time and mental/physical break from all of this, I'll be back! I need to take a moment in order to make time for figuring other things out. I am not forfeiting my hobby. In addition to helping me push more of my time into school and career interests, perhaps this 'break' could let me return to my hobby with a whole new perspective upon things.

Come summer, I'll be back! I WILL still be better-managing my hobby by then, and regulate the amount I collect and time I spend on it, but know that I will be back here soon--hopefully with a new perspective on my hobby, a fresh start, and my career interests having been focussed-upon and figured out. After all, this 'break' is prompted by school and other things I have to focus on for when I get to college. Thanks for your understanding, and see you all in the near future!

-Lucas (maccollectorZ)

(P.S. This PowerBook thread is my last before I take my 'break'. Any current info I am posting is regarding the current situation I am in with my PowerBook. I am not sure how things will be, but I might consider just keeping the PowerBook... starting my 'break' as early as possible, and not having this interfere, may be worth more than the $46 I payed... besides, I am otherwise pretty content with the laptop. It may be better for me to not worry about it).

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Okay, here's mine. Sorry about the crummy iPhone photos.

Overall, it's nice save for the corner ding. Once I get brave enough to take it apart, I think I can probably work that out.

Also, someone yanked the power cord at an angle.

I'll bang on it for a while this evening and see how long the battery lasts.

Overall, though, I'm happy with it for the price I paid.

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Okay, here's mine. Sorry about the crummy iPhone photos.

Overall, it's nice save for the corner ding. Once I get brave enough to take it apart, I think I can probably work that out.

Also, someone yanked the power cord at an angle.

I'll bang on it for a while this evening and see how long the battery lasts.

Overall, though, I'm happy with it for the price I paid.

Yours looks very similar to mine, except the bent corners on mine aren't quite as severe. Bent corners are something I can live with.

That backlight bleed though. Do you plan to keep yours despite?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Yours looks very similar to mine, except the bent corners on mine aren't quite as severe. Bent corners are something I can live with.

That backlight bleed though. Do you plan to keep yours despite?

Honestly, the backlight bleed is(to me) not noticeable in use-it's really only noticeable when looking at a blank screen like the startup screen.

I'm probably going to just live with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.