Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hbk48942

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
i hope that i will be working in the ICT or the Administration field in the next 5 years.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
6 feet under. :)
I don't think i'll live another 5 years.

Bravo!

To the OP: This is ominously reminiscent of one of of those 'By The Book' interview questions asked by witless unimaginative morons clutching a clipboard (and not remotely interested in the answer unless that resonates with another desired clipboard response…)…….on an interview board…..

Now, really. Seriously.

Do you expect anyone - even cloaked by the anonymity afforded by the online universe - to offer an answer to such an open-ended question? An unfathomable query? One that you - most likely - don't even know - or can't begin to articulate - the answer to, yourself….

There are answers given to an interview board, there are answers given to pals in the pub, and there are the answers that only the deepest darkest recesses of your mind might even begin to comprehend…..and there is the bleak acknowledgement that hardly anybody (sane) in the known universe can give a comprehensive answer to such a senseless question……I mean, who on earth knows themselves in five years time?

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA
Bravo!

To the OP: This is ominously reminiscent of one of of those 'By The Book' interview questions asked by witless unimaginative morons clutching a clipboard (and not remotely interested in the answer unless that resonates with another desired clipboard response…)…….on an interview board…..

Now, really. Seriously.

Do you expect anyone - even cloaked by the anonymity afforded by the online universe - to offer an answer to such an open-ended question? An unfathomable query? One that you - most likely - don't even know - or can't begin to articulate - the answer to, yourself….

There are answers given to an interview board, there are answers given to pals in the pub, and there are the answers that only the deepest darkest recesses of your mind might even begin to comprehend…..and there is the bleak acknowledgement that hardly anybody (sane) in the known universe can give a comprehensive answer to such a senseless question……I mean, who on earth knows themselves in five years time?

That was a good question to ask 20 years ago. Today it should be "Where do you think you'll be this time next year?"

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I'm very confident I will be closing in on being elected president of my state's professional organization in my field. In 15 years I will be retiring and traveling 6 months per year. Summers will be at my fishing house in northern Idaho. Life is beautiful.

tzhu07

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
This is a very typical interview question.

When I got interviewed for my current job, my manager asked me this and my response was "I don't plan that far ahead."

kendall69

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Bravo!

Now, really. Seriously.

For someone as "intelligent" as you think you are, you obviously didn't understand the question. The question is WHERE DO YOU "SEE" yourself. The OP is asking WHERE DO YOU "THINK" you will be - NOT where definitely, absolutely, without a doubt will you be.

The OP is asking where do you "wish", "think" "hope" "wannabe" in five years.

----------

This is a very typical interview question.

When I got interviewed for my current job, my manager asked me this and my response was "I don't plan that far ahead."

....and I'll bet you didn't get the job either. I can GUARANTEE if you answered that question with me like that, the very next thing you would here is " thanks for applying we'll call you if we decide to move forward" TRANSLATION: Buh Bye you didn't get the job.

Seriously, how ignorant of an answer is that. Even if you're applying to flip burgers the guy hiring you wants to "think" you want to be a "burger flipper supervisor"

Anyone who hires a person wants to know they are not wasting their time training you, if they think you won't be around, and they need to do it all over again with someone else six months down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
It's a nonsensical question devoid of context. There's no magic answer. You have to recognize that fact and approach it honestly and tactfully.

If you do that, and still don't get the job, then you probably wouldn't have fitted in anyway. Remember, an interview is just as much for the candidate's benefit as the interviewer's (although, obviously, don't get all cocky and be a jerk about it).

Me? In five years time? Still hungry and unable to decide what's for lunch! :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
[/COLOR]

....and I'll bet you didn't get the job either. I can GUARANTEE if you answered that question with me like that, the very next thing you would here is " thanks for applying we'll call you if we decide to move forward" TRANSLATION: Buh Bye you didn't get the job.

Far be it for me to point out your error, as your obviously very intelligent, but you did notice tzhu07 said when he got interviewed for his current job.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

Based on the fact that he said it was his current job he did get the job.

I'm guessing you don't do anything related to hiring at all...
And if you do I'm guessing you have to hire a lot of people since if your attitude is anything like it is in this post I don't see many of them sticking around for too long.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
For someone as "intelligent" as you think you are, you obviously didn't understand the question. The question is WHERE DO YOU "SEE" yourself. The OP is asking WHERE DO YOU "THINK" you will be - NOT where definitely, absolutely, without a doubt will you be.

The OP is asking where do you "wish", "think" "hope" "wannabe" in five years.

----------

Seriously, how ignorant of an answer is that. Even if you're applying to flip burgers the guy hiring you wants to "think" you want to be a "burger flipper supervisor"

Anyone who hires a person wants to know they are not wasting their time training you, if they think you won't be around, and they need to do it all over again with someone else six months down the road.

Would you like to talk that anger out?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I take the view that anyone who addresses me (or anyone else who comprises our online audience) in screaming capital letters is best put on the online equivalent of the 'mute' or the 'reduce volume' button.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422133969.692978.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
5 years from now, I will rule the earth with an iron fist.

Even in jest, I am surprised by those who claim to want to rule the earth - with or without an iron fist. Such a source of endless stress…..and even if you did succeed in getting to rule it, what on earth would you do with it? Govern for the good of the many or the few?

In any case, I would have thought that rather than seeking to rule others, the key - or goal - or aspiration - is to ensure that in five (or fifty) years nobody rules you with an iron fist, kid glove, or a satisfyingly solid pair of gauntlets.

Use titanium; it's lighter and more corrosion resistant. Iron is so, uh, Iron Age.

Excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.