Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
I have a Verizon 5s and just got an alert for Carrier Update 18.1
I did it. No problems. But what was it. Does anyone have any idea?
I'm hoping it was a fix for data usage
This month I picked up on the fact that at 2am while I was asleep and connected to wifi at home my phone logged over 200mb data usage???!!!!
Haven't spoke with them yet but hoped it might have been a fix

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Carrier update has nothing to do with what you think.
Go to settings, cellular and you will see what apps used what amount of carrier data.
Go all the way down and reset the counter to keep an eye out.
Verizon and many carriers batch and post your daily data usage from various towers thru your total days use late at night all at once.
It does not mean you used that data at that exact moment.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Carrier update has nothing to do with what you think.
Go to settings, cellular and you will see what apps used what amount of carrier data.
Go all the way down and reset the counter to keep an eye out.
Verizon and many carriers batch and post your daily data usage from various towers thru your total days use late at night all at once.
It does not mean you used that data at that exact moment.

Gotcha. Still curious what update was about though

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
What changes is the way the phone communicates to your carriers towers and other similar settings that don't make any difference on the customers end. It's just for better connectivity and reliability. That's what carrier updates are and should be done when available to keep up with network changes, updates and such.

ssvsgod

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
Denver and just got it. Hopefully it brings down some of data usage while my phone is idle at work

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Just got mine, I wonder how often these updates come out?

usually get a few a year, maybe 2-3 updates as needed i think. sometimes new updates come packaged with OS updates, others are pushed from the carrier. it all depends on network updates/upgrades or if they tie in with new OS features, they bundle it.

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Got it Sunday morning in Los angeles area. Really wish I knew what was different.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Lol :D
Yep, hopefully this carrier update lets me view youtube all day but brings down my data usage.
People keep blaming the carrier or the phone when every single carrier KB used is displayed there in settings.

This isn't that far-fetched. I remember when the iPhone 5 came out there were problems with people going over there data usage and it was because the iPhone was going to cellular data when the Wi-Fi signal was weak or even just at random. I read that all of this was blamed on a carrier software. When the fix came through it was via A carrier update.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
This isn't that far-fetched. I remember when the iPhone 5 came out there were problems with people going over there data usage and it was because the iPhone was going to cellular data when the Wi-Fi signal was weak or even just at random. I read that all of this was blamed on a carrier software. When the fix came through it was via A carrier update.

Its not far fetched but it happened over 2 years ago and was fixed promptly.
What is also not far fetched is people rack up data charges without noticing or understanding what and how and will always keep blaming the carrier or the phone.
I dont think that will ever stop,people tend to blame everyone else but themselves of course:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.