Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So the current forecasts have the northeast bracing for a historic blizzard, 20 - 30 inches from NYC to Boston. Time to grab bread, milk, and most importantly beer.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
So the current forecasts have the northeast bracing for a historic blizzard, 20 - 30 inches from NYC to Boston. Time to grab bread, milk, and most importantly beer.

Well, we are bracing ourselves too... It is 78 degrees today, but the water at the beach is way to cold..... :D

On a serious note, best of luck and make sure you are hunkered down with lots of beer!!!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Well, we are bracing ourselves too... It is 78 degrees today, but the water at the beach is way to cold..... :D

On a serious note, best of luck and make sure you are hunkered down with lots of beer!!!
The stores will be havoc, bread will be non existent. Fights will break out in the isles. But most importantly, will you have enough beer on hand.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
We'll get up to a foot, though if it tracks 15-20 more miles West we'll get even more. The AWD is gassed up, fresh oil in the crankcase and did food shopping on Saturday.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Wish we got that in Minnesota. All we get are maybe 5-6 feet for the whole winter and -25 to -40 F windchills for most of January. It's usually too cold to snow here.

When it's snowing, you know it's warm outside. That may sound funny, but it's true - it never snows when it's below 0.

That said, we have been having obscene 40 degree days this month - had the car windows half down on the way home from work friday since it was 38 outside.

In general it would be nice to trade the extreme brutal cold for more blizzards.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
We've not had much snow in the Catskills this winter either, so far. Only supposed to get aorund 6 or 7 inches from this nor'easter and only got around 10 from the last one. What we've had is a bunch of wild temperature swings: a series of cold snaps (5 above in the daytime, -10 to -15 overnight), broken up by a day that gets way up into the mid-30s, maybe a snow flurry or two, then clearing off before nightfall and plunging to below zero again. Not great for perennial plants unless they're really mulched down. I'd welcome a foot of snow. It's better for plants and keeps the house warmer. But I'm happy not to be looking at a forecast of 3 feet of the stuff!

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I hope it's not nearly as bad as they're saying. That said, I've got my snow blower and generator gassed up and ready to go. Also got 15 gallons of fuel to hold me over for a while if we lose power..

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Wish we got that in Minnesota. All we get are maybe 5-6 feet for the whole winter and -25 to -40 F windchills for most of January. It's usually too cold to snow here.

When it's snowing, you know it's warm outside. That may sound funny, but it's true - it never snows when it's below 0.

That said, we have been having obscene 40 degree days this month - had the car windows half down on the way home from work friday since it was 38 outside.

In general it would be nice to trade the extreme brutal cold for more blizzards.

We can use the snow. We've had barely a foot of snow here in Brainerd. My daughter is on the Nordic ski team in high school, and they've had trouble finding places to practice. At least this January is a lot warmer than last year.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
We can use the snow. We've had barely a foot of snow here in Brainerd. My daughter is on the Nordic ski team in high school, and they've had trouble finding places to practice. At least this January is a lot warmer than last year.

I bet as usual we will get most of our snow in Feb/March like usual, when most people are looking forward to spring. I'm all for huge blizzards before christmas, but after that, may as well not snow at all

BlueSpruce

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
NY
We've not had much snow in the Catskills this winter either, so far. Only supposed to get aorund 6 or 7 inches from this nor'easter and only got around 10 from the last one. What we've had is a bunch of wild temperature swings: a series of cold snaps (5 above in the daytime, -10 to -15 overnight), broken up by a day that gets way up into the mid-30s, maybe a snow flurry or two, then clearing off before nightfall and plunging to below zero again. Not great for perennial plants unless they're really mulched down. I'd welcome a foot of snow. It's better for plants and keeps the house warmer. But I'm happy not to be looking at a forecast of 3 feet of the stuff!

I grew up in the Hudson Valley, and my Mom follows this site all the time. The guy has been pretty accurate with his predictions the past couple of years.

We're ready. We're not getting as much as everyone else, but we're looking forward to it. The kids and I have a backyard igloo to finish. :D

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
And right as this blizzard begins it seems that I've caught the flu too. Got that scratchy throat feeling which will probably be worse when I wake up in the morning. These next couple of days should be fun.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

As someone who spent a fair amount of time in far northern NY you are absolutely correct. People thought we were crazy for getting into shorts above 35 degrees but if you figure that we'd just spent weeks/months and 50 to 70 degrees below that it's not so bad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I saw the word historic being bandied around. I'm a doubting Thomas. I think the weathermen hype these storms up beyond what they'll be and boom, its a bust.

With only one winter storm so far (Saturday) I think this driving them even crazier. We'll see, I'm sure my kids will have off tomorrow.

I went to the store to get some supplies and it was crazy, I mean all I was trying to do is get my 50 loaves of bread and 20 gallons of milk and the crazies were out :p

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Subaru all-wheel-drive vehicles have been selling like crazy in the Northeast. They are great in the snow.

More sensible to buy a genny and stay off the roads when a nor'easter heads in. But trying to buy a generator in front of a storm is about the same as showing up at noon to buy bread when the first snowflakes fell at dawn. No dice.

Still I'd love to have a Subaru. One of my bros has one so I cop a ride when I think my ol' clunker can't hack the drifts to somewhere.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Subaru all-wheel-drive vehicles have been selling like crazy in the Northeast. They are great in the snow.

AWD helps you start moving. It doesn't help you stop.

I have a Subaru, I still wouldn't take it out in heavy snow. Plus I don't trust all the other morons on the road who are trying to drive a RWD vehicle with summer tires to not crash into me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Blizzards are fun as long as you don't have to go any where, you don't lose your power and have a handy snow blower. ;)

Funny that I spent 20+ years in Minnesota, but now brace myself when the temp gos below 40 deg f, but it's locational. When I visit Mn in the winter, my cold circuits seem to kick back in.

The stores will be havoc, bread will be non existent. Fights will break out in the isles. But most importantly, will you have enough beer on hand.

If snow is mentioned there is havoc and runs on the store and the next day it's 60. :)

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles

Hey! It's going to rain here today.....we will survive! :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I saw online that Logan airport is shutting down at 7:00pm.

No flights will depart from Boston's Logan International Airport after 7 p.m. Monday, Massport announced. There will be no flights in or out of the airport on Tuesday. Service is expected to resume late Wednesday.

My wife is really hoping they call work for her - I'm hoping for the same thing (they call her work), otherwise my kids will be home with me, while I work.

I work for a hospital, and so for obivous reasons, they don't close :) Luckily for me, I can work from home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.