Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's earnings call covering the first fiscal quarter of 2015, Apple CEO Tim Cook shared some new details on the prospective launch date of the Apple Watch. According to Cook, Apple Watch development is currently on schedule, and the company is planning to ship the device in April.

applewatch11.jpg
Development for Apple Watch is right on schedule, and we expect to begin shipping in April.
When the Apple Watch was announced, Apple gave a vague "early 2015" launch date for the device, making it unclear when it would actually ship. Several rumors recently pointed towards a March launch date for the device, but it appears it will actually begin shipping out to consumers a month later, in April.

Cook confirmed that the Apple Watch's April shipping date was within the expected range of early 2015, which Apple considers to be the first four months of the year. Cook also said there are some amazing apps in the works for the device, and he mentioned that he couldn't live without the Apple Watch.
My expectations are very high on it. I'm using it every day and love it and can't live without it.
Now that we know when the Apple Watch is expected to launch, the only unknowns about the device are battery life and its cost. Rumors have suggested that battery life will be somewhat disappointing, lasting approximately 19 hours during "mixed use."

Cost is also up in the air, aside from a known starting price of $349 for the lower-end device. Pricing on the middle tier version is unclear, as is pricing for the high-end gold Apple Watch, which rumors suggest could sell for thousands of dollars.

Article Link: Tim Cook: Apple Watch on Schedule to Ship in April

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I though most rumors suggested March...I guess that's why they're rumors.

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
I have to wonder if they announced it too early and gave the competition time to take what  has and "improve" on it. Will be interesting to see what Samsung announces along with the Galaxy S6.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
April??? You mean I have to wait till the snow melts till I am able to throw cash at my computer and get a goddam :apple: Watch on my wrist?!!?! I am outraged!! I hereby forecast the doom of Apple! :mad:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I'm thinking 350$ for the small entry level model and another 50-100$ for the larger entry level model.

It remains to be seen if that price includes a band or if that is a 25-50$ accessory. If it is I think there will be a number of negatively surprised people.

I also imagine that the watch box will ship without the wristband inside so that color could be specified at the point of sale.

It would be nice if the 350$ price includes the base band, but a customer could get a 25$ credit toward an upgrade to a more expensive band. (To force a customer to take the base band and abandon it in a drawer at home while the upgrade band is being used would be wasteful and anti customer gouging.

It will be interesting to see which of these musings comes to pass.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
i don't know if I am more excited about the Watch shipping or simply knowing the full specs. :eek:

And with traditional time pieces typically being more of a personal accessory, I am wondering if they will consider putting them in stores in March to allow customers to try on, mix, match bands/faces, etc.? While I rank that highly unlikely (and completely unlike any product launch roll out ever), I do see some value in that approach. Pros & cons.

----------

april 3, 10, 17, and 24 are the fridays in the month. Place your bets folks.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I'm putting my money on April 17th being the launch date, about 1 week before Q2 results go live, they can announce the first weekend numbers then.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
I'm thinking 350$ for the small entry level model and another 50-100$ for the larger entry level model.

It remains to be seen if that price includes a band or if that is a 25-50$ accessory. If it is I think there will be a number of negatively surprised people.

I also imagine that the watch box will ship without the wristband inside so that color could be specified at the point of sale.

It would be nice if the 350$ price includes the base band, but a customer could get a 25$ credit toward an upgrade to a more expensive band. (To force a customer to take the base band and abandon it in a drawer at home while the upgrade band is being used would be wasteful and anti customer gouging.

It will be interesting to see which of these musings comes to pass.

I guarantee the watch will ship in boxes with bands in the configurations shown on apple.com at $350

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
On schedule ?? April is not begin of 2015 anymore

They did not say beginning of 2015, they said early 2015. April still counts as early 2015, anything up to June could count really, as it's still in the first half.

I though most rumors suggested March...I guess that's why they're rumors.

I suspect the rumours of March are wrong for release, but right for launch event, show it off, announce pre-order date and ship date.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area

No one said "beginning" of 2015, Apple said "Early 2015" :)

To be honest I do wonder if Apple would have been better off waiting til October or Janury to announce it. September's haphazard presentation, and the placeholder software running on it, was not exactly the best foot forward. I have a feeling that in a few years, the behind the scenes story will be similar to the iPhone, where everything is basically held together with scotch tape.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

During today's earnings call covering the first fiscal quarter of 2015, Apple CEO Tim Cook shared some new details on the prospective launch date of the Apple Watch. According to Cook, Apple Watch development is currently on schedule, and the company is planning to ship the device in April.

When the Apple Watch was announced, Apple gave a vague "Early 2015" launch date for the device, making it unclear when it would actually ship. Several rumors recently pointed towards a March launch date for the device, but it appears it will actually begin shipping out to consumers a month later, in April.

Cook confirmed that the Apple Watch's April shipping date was within the expected range of early 2015, which Apple considers to be the first four years of the month. Cook also said there are some amazing apps in the works for the device, and he mentioned that he couldn't live without the Apple Watch.Now that we know when the Apple Watch is expected to launch, the only unknowns about the device are battery life and its cost. Rumors have suggested that battery life will be somewhat disappointing, lasting approximately 19 hours during "mixed use."

Cost is also up in the air, aside from a known starting price of $349 for the lower-end device. Pricing on the middle tier version is unclear, as is pricing for the high-end gold Apple Watch, which rumors suggest could sell for thousands of dollars.

Article Link: Tim Cook: Apple Watch on Schedule to Ship in April

Longest month ever if we have to wait that long in early 2015 :p

chekk

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
I live in SF and saw an apple watch in the wild yesterday--on the wrist of a guy in the car next to mine while stopped at a light. I was on a commute route headed south to the peninsula so assume it was an Apple employee doing some field testing. It had a polished metal case and a blue leather band. Clearly an Apple Watch due to the rounded case and crown. Looked good in person; well proportioned on the wrist. I have a Pebble Steel and it seemed about the same proportions.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
Cook: "Early as first four months, mid is middle four months and late is final four months."

so for them, up till the end of April is early 2015.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

All they said was "early 2015." It's still the first half of 2015. And it's the "spring" as Angela Ahrendts said in the training video.

I'd like it if the shipping date is April 3. In any case, expect a media invitation for March. 12" MacBooks, anyone?

----------

I am guessing it will be released in the US only at first?
(not that I want one)

Probably US and China, and the usual suspects (UK, Canada, Australia, France). Remember, that its first publicity spread was in Vogue China, and its second appearance was at Colette's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.