Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Today I picked up a Nextbook 10.1 2-in-1 tablet. It comes with a keyboard with a built in trackpad. It runs full Windows 8.1 and actually has a very crisp and responsive touch screen. This baby packs 32GB of built in storage, microsd slot, and 1GB RAM which you would think is slow but is not. Grand total for this tablet? $179!!!!! I bought it at Walmart but it's also available on Amazon. This is comparable in specs to other convertible tablets on the market that costs $100 more. I don't think there is a better deal than this on the market at the moment.

One big advantage with this over a Surface is that you can actually use it on your lap! It doesn't require a kickstand to stand up because the keyboard has a strong hinge mechanism that you attach the tablet to.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    680.1 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nice, but with only a gig of ram, that's too meager for my needs.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Can you replace the RAM sticks for at least 2GB RAM or more?
I don't think so, pretty sure it's soldered.

Nice, but with only a gig of ram, that's too meager for my needs.

You would think. But the performance is actually surprising. I'm impressed with these new Intel atom chips. I just can't believe you can get a full computer for this price; my mind is blown. I'm hoping that Windows 10 will be even less resource intensive and this thing will work even better.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm running Lightroom, photoshop and some apps at work that really do need more ram then a gig.

While I'm sure you're fine with the gig, I do not even want to try.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
How much does Windows use from that 1GB? Even with optimization I can't imagine much left except for maybe a browser or simple app. Would feel more unrestricted and future proof with $419 Thinkpad 10 with 4GB DRAM, 128GB storage, 1080p 10", Wacom pen, Lenovo quality and long term driver support.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/thinkpad/thinkpad-10/?menu-id=thinkpad_10&AID=10499647&PID=5146289&SID=skim525X697551X0d290156f4ad3ec509fd1f263bcb2538&CJURL=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.lenovo.com%2Fus%2Fen%2Ftablets%2Fthinkpad%2Fthinkpad-10%2F%3Fmenu-id%3Dthinkpad_10&PUBNAME=Skimlinks&NID=CJ

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
How much does Windows use from that 1GB? Even with optimization I can't imagine much left except for maybe a browser or simple app. Would feel more unrestricted and future proof with $419 Thinkpad 10 with 4GB DRAM, 128GB storage, 1080p 10", Wacom pen, Lenovo quality and long term driver support.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/thinkpad/thinkpad-10/?menu-id=thinkpad_10&AID=10499647&PID=5146289&SID=skim525X697551X0d290156f4ad3ec509fd1f263bcb2538&CJURL=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.lenovo.com%2Fus%2Fen%2Ftablets%2Fthinkpad%2Fthinkpad-10%2F%3Fmenu-id%3Dthinkpad_10&PUBNAME=Skimlinks&NID=CJ
Absolutely that would be more future proof and higher end, and still a better value than Surface. However, this nextbook is in a completely different price range and fulfills a different need, it's not made to be future proof although it will see Windows 10.

----------

I'm running Lightroom, photoshop and some apps at work that really do need more ram then a gig.

While I'm sure you're fine with the gig, I do not even want to try.

That's exactly it, I don't run any of that type of stuff. And I have a 2013 MBA that would have no problem running it! :eek:

Makes you realize how little computing power you can really get along with! Many people can anyway.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Spend a bit more and get the Lenovo Thinkpad tablet. For $359 you get Wacom digitizer, 2gb ram, 64gb hard drive and probably one of the best built windows tablets on the market. This is for the newest version that came out last year with the Baytrail processor.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Spend a bit more and get the Lenovo Thinkpad tablet. For $359 you get Wacom digitizer, 2gb ram, 64gb hard drive and probably one of the best built windows tablets on the market. This is for the newest version that came out last year with the Baytrail processor.

If it were my main computer I absolutely would. This is just a beater computer.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

I think OP is trying to point out the price. The thinkpad 10 is twice the price and I don't think it includes the keyboard. It's clearly the better device (and quite tempting I might add), but this thing here is a nice bit of kit for $180.

I suspect it'll run better on Windows 10. 1GB of RAM isn't all that much, but we've been forever told by Apple fanatics that it's more than plenty (even on devices that are north of $400).

This kind of pricing sure is attractive.

Edit: looks like there are a lot of reviews claiming that it is plagued by issues. Hopefully not the case (though it wouldn't be shocking at this price) but something to research before you buy.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
I suspect it'll run better on Windows 10. 1GB of RAM isn't all that much, but we've been forever told by Apple fanatics that it's more than plenty (even on devices that are north of $400).

For iDevices maybe, and then only barely. This machine is pretty decent for the price, but that 1GB hurts it badly. It'll work alright for Metro apps, but it'll start swapping pretty badly once you have even a modest amount of desktops apps open.

I feel kinda bad shooting it down, because Blazed is obviously pretty stoked about getting it. But it's true. 1GB isn't NEARLY enough.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Edit: looks like there are a lot of reviews claiming that it is plagued by issues. Hopefully not the case (though it wouldn't be shocking at this price) but something to research before you buy.

Where are those reviews? I would like to read them while I'm still within my return period...

Most of the reviews I read were on Amazon and a majority were positive, although there were a couple of negatives.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I wonder how much an extra GB of RAM would cost them. With 2gb RAM and a $199 price point I'd be much more impressed. With a microSD card to beef up the hard drive I think it would be an impressive package for the price.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Today I picked up a Nextbook 10.1 2-in-1 tablet. It comes with a keyboard with a built in trackpad. It runs full Windows 8.1 and actually has a very crisp and responsive touch screen. This baby packs 32GB of built in storage, microsd slot, and 1GB RAM which you would think is slow but is not. Grand total for this tablet? $179!!!!! I bought it at Walmart but it's also available on Amazon. This is comparable in specs to other convertible tablets on the market that costs $100 more. I don't think there is a better deal than this on the market at the moment.

Nice! I'm debating between this and the Winbook TW801 at Microcenter. I wish the Winbook had a nice keyboard dock like this one.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Nice! I'm debating between this and the Winbook TW801 at Microcenter. I wish the Winbook had a nice keyboard dock like this one.

Been using it for a day now. Just can't get over the value that this is. Technology has really come a long way in terms of power and affordability.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Where are those reviews? I would like to read them while I'm still within my return period...

Most of the reviews I read were on Amazon and a majority were positive, although there were a couple of negatives.

Right on Walmart's website. Read through them by most recent.

It seems that the device does really well when it works (so great reviews from people who just bought it), but breaks or suddenly stops working after a few weeks. A lot of people seem to have the same issue, so it might be worth investigating.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Right on Walmart's website. Read through them by most recent.

It seems that the device does really well when it works (so great reviews from people who just bought it), but breaks or suddenly stops working after a few weeks. A lot of people seem to have the same issue, so it might be worth investigating.

That's definitely something to consider being that Walmart only has a 15 day return policy.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The reviews are mixed especially premature death, battery, etc. You pay a little more with Lenovo but have the peace of mind of quality product and components and long term driver support for new Windows versions. Example, battery in Helix2 is Sanyo from "powercfg /batteryreport" so you can't get any better than that and my ~2008 Thinkpad x61s runs Windows 8.1 Pro perfectly even with all the tricky power management stuff.

Last edited:

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
The reviews are mixed especially premature death, battery, etc. You pay a little more with Lenovo but have the peace of mind of quality product and components and long term driver support for new Windows versions. Example, battery in Helix2 is Sanyo from "powercfg /batteryreport" so you can't get any better than that and my ~2008 Thinkpad x61s runs Windows 8.1 Pro perfectly even with all the tricky power management stuff.

The reviews for the Lenovo are horrible. No shortage of bad reviews for the ASUS either. I guess all brands in this category have their lemons.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
One big advantage with this over a Surface is that you can actually use it on your lap! It doesn't require a kickstand to stand up because the keyboard has a strong hinge mechanism that you attach the tablet to.

Doesn't this design cause a problem whereby the top-heaviness (all components in display, virtually nothing in keyboard) causes it to topple backwards after the screen is angled from the vertical by a relatively small amount?

This was my experience when trying a similarly designed 2-in-1 (Acer Switch 10), and I found it very irritating. When on my lap I had to actively press down on keyboard to stop the thing toppling backward.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
Only 1 GB of RAM and only 32GB of storage that is too small and definitely not enough!

I say the Acer Aspire Switch 11 or the Dell Venue Pro 11 is the best 2-in-1 full Windows 8 tablet and they are way better value and you can do soo much with them like heavy demanding tasks like video editing because they have the power to be able to do it very good as they have I3/5 Core and Core M in them! :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.