Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
Hello

I have no idea where to place this question.

I am going on a trip, long flights.

What is my best option for an app for reading books?

And what file format should I look for wink wink nudge nudge.

Thank u

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In my opinion, iBooks does a fine job as a book reader. You can also use the Kindle app or Marvin.

You can use Calibre (highly recommend) to keep up with your book collection and convert mobi to epub etc. Epub (in my opinion) is the format you should focus on, as it is the most versatile. Kindle primarily uses Mobi, which is not readable by iBooks.

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
Awesome. Thanks very much. A good start for me. Hopefully I can find some good books.

Thanks again

----------

Wow Calibre looks cool! I need to start reading more books! :D

----------

Subscribe to Oyster or Kindle Unlimited. Or use your local library and browse through their online selection.

:cool:

If you have ePubs, Marvin is great, I second that. :D

Yah what would be the difference between Oyster and Kindle Unlimited?

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
Oh I should mention what a drag it was to find out my amazon prime membership ONLY includes borrowing one book at a time per month :( and must have KINDLE device :( you can't use their apps for this perk.

No idea why other than making people buy a kindle.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Oh I should mention what a drag it was to find out my amazon prime membership ONLY includes borrowing one book at a time per month :( and must have KINDLE device :( you can't use their apps for this perk.

No idea why other than making people buy a kindle.

Exactly. You at least get a 30-day trial of KU though. I actually sneakily took advantage of a "bug" where they'd give you six months for $30 with a purchase of a Kindle, but I didn't order the Kindle and just checked out with just the subscription. :rolleyes: Not a bad deal. I'm using it mostly for reference books at the moment.

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
Lucky duck :D

Ya I'm in the middle of researching oyster versus kindle. I also was able to see some books at my local library. I just have to see what they have. Probably not a lot but I'll check that out as well.

Thanks again.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I prefer iBooks, since you easily can get books from the app itself, with Kindle you have to go to amazon.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.