Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackdtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014
I thought 10.10.2 will solve the problem but i still have LAG if i don't restart my mac.

STILL LAGGGGGY as hell without restart.

Is anyone experiencing the same thing as i do ...

RELOAD911

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Yep. I had to go back to Mavericks since 10.10.2 didn't live up to my expectations. Yosemite has a lot of good things going for it, but at its very core its still sluggish.
Part of me hopes 10.10.3 brings the performance back but seeing how the focus of the update is on emojis and a ported version of iOS Photos app, I very much doubt that will happen any time soon.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I've encountered some performance problems in regards to the UI in every version of 10.10 I've tried. Of course, I was testing it on the lowest common denominator, the 2007 iMac with the ATI 2400 video card. It has gotten a bit better an the builds have progressed.

jackdtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014
Yep. I had to go back to Mavericks since 10.10.2 didn't live up to my expectations. Yosemite has a lot of good things going for it, but at its very core its still sluggish.
Part of me hopes 10.10.3 brings the performance back but seeing how the focus of the update is on emojis and a ported version of iOS Photos app, I very much doubt that will happen any time soon.

Is there anyway i can go back to mavericks without maverick backup?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You will have to download it from the App Store and create a USB installation drive to reinstall it. To reinstall it, you will have to wipe your drive and restore your files after installation of 10.9.

RELOAD911

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Is there anyway i can go back to mavericks without maverick backup?

Well, you can't seamlessly revert, but you can do a fresh install of Mavericks. You're going to need download Mavericks from the App Store and create a USB installation drive which is actually reasonably easy to do.

Keep in mind that you'll have to erase the hard drive, so don't forget to back up ALL your stuff.

jackdtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014
Well, you can't seamlessly revert, but you can do a fresh install of Mavericks. You're going to need download Mavericks from the App Store and create a USB installation drive which is actually reasonably easy to do.

Keep in mind that you'll have to erase the hard drive, so don't forget to back up ALL your stuff.

The sad thing is, i don't have mavericks purchased in my app store....sign.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I think it is a Window Server problem. If I leave my computer running for a few days, even if I close all my windows, Window Server says it's taking up 32 GB of memory. When I restart it's about 50 mb.

I'm not exactly sure what the term memory leak means, but I'm guessing that might be what it is? I have to restart every few days. By the time Window Server is using 32 GB of memory, the computer is barely usable.

My computer should be very fast. It's a late 2013 13" rMBP with 16 GB of RAM. It goes from fast on a fresh restart to acting like a computer from the early 1990s within a couple of days.

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
Yep, if my MBP goes to sleep for a few hours it'll be laggy when I wake it up without fail. The only fix is a restart.

It's the little roadblocks like this that make Yosemite so frustrating to use. It doesn't stop me using it but it sure dampens the experience.

rMBPUser03

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2014
I have experienced a slight improvement with 10.10.2. It is still not as fast as Mavericks, however, much better compared to 10.10 and 10.10.1.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I have noticed the opposite. I got HORRIBLE lag with my rMBP on Mavericks. It is slightly better with Yosemite.

jackdtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014
I think it is a Window Server problem. If I leave my computer running for a few days, even if I close all my windows, Window Server says it's taking up 32 GB of memory. When I restart it's about 50 mb.

I'm not exactly sure what the term memory leak means, but I'm guessing that might be what it is? I have to restart every few days. By the time Window Server is using 32 GB of memory, the computer is barely usable.

My computer should be very fast. It's a late 2013 13" rMBP with 16 GB of RAM. It goes from fast on a fresh restart to acting like a computer from the early 1990s within a couple of days.

That is exactly how i feel. i have a mid 2014 rmbp 13inches with 16gb ram. The lag sometime makes me wanna smash my mac on the floor

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
That is exactly how i feel. i have a mid 2014 rmbp 13inches with 16gb ram. The lag sometime makes me wanna smash my mac on the floor

I am not sure what could be the problem. I hardly ever restart my computers. I just shut the lid for laptops or let it go to sleep naturally for my 2010 Mac Pro. None of them seems to have any issues.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040

Is yours the same in that it goes back to normal after restarting?

I am not sure what could be the problem. I hardly ever restart my computers. I just shut the lid for laptops or let it go to sleep naturally for my 2010 Mac Pro. None of them seems to have any issues.

I wonder if it is only affecting certain models for some reason. I submitted a bug report to Apple, so maybe I'll find something out.

I'm not an expert, but the one thing I can tell changes is that the longer the computer runs, the more memory WindowServer takes up. This is a picture of what it looks like when it gets really slow. I have a lot of apps open, but even if I close everything, WindowServer stays the same.

Couldn't figure out how to post the picture in the message, but it's here:

http://imgur.com/xSuBVdc

jackdtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014

I wonder if it is only affecting certain models for some reason. I submitted a bug report to Apple, so maybe I'll find something out.

I'm not an expert, but the one thing I can tell changes is that the longer the computer runs, the more memory WindowServer takes up. This is a picture of what it looks like when it gets really slow. I have a lot of apps open, but even if I close everything, WindowServer stays the same.

Yes, it will gets smooth after a smile restart

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

What is your uptime? My rMBP has been on for 5 days and the WindowServer only has 200MB of RAM.

jackdtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014
I'm not sure where to check for uptime, but I have to restart it every 2-3 days. So by the time I took that screenshot it was probably about 3 days without a restart.

Have you tried go to apple store and talked to them about the lag?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I'm not sure where to check for uptime, but I have to restart it every 2-3 days. So by the time I took that screenshot it was probably about 3 days without a restart.

Just in case you want to know. Launch terminal and type in uptime.

anp27

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have to say.. I haven't been plagued with lag issues since ever, thankfully! The only time my Mac gets a bit slow is right before an update release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.