Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
the only lag I experience is scrolling in the Notification Center. this happens on both Macs.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Yes, it will gets smooth after a smile restart

Have you noticed any changes in the performance of your Mac?

I had submitted a bug report to Apple earlier in February about the slowness after using the computer for extended periods and also including a sysdiagnose file and screenshot of Window Server's memory usage for them.

They just wrote back requesting more diagnostic info, and the weird thing is that they specifically asked if I have anything in my menu bar that animates.

I do in fact have Google Drive in the menu bar which animates when it's syncing files. And I noticed that Google Drive automatically updated to a new version recently, and since around that time (I don't know exactly when it was updated since it does it automatically) my computer hasn't been quite as laggy--even running it for 5 days without a restart Window Server is only at 1 GB, which is still a lot--but far less less than the 32 GB it was taking up before.

Just wondering in case Google Drive in the menu bar is related to this at all if you run Google Drive on your Mac?

jackdtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014
Have you noticed any changes in the performance of your Mac?

I had submitted a bug report to Apple earlier in February about the slowness after using the computer for extended periods and also including a sysdiagnose file and screenshot of Window Server's memory usage for them.

They just wrote back requesting more diagnostic info, and the weird thing is that they specifically asked if I have anything in my menu bar that animates.

I do in fact have Google Drive in the menu bar which animates when it's syncing files. And I noticed that Google Drive automatically updated to a new version recently, and since around that time (I don't know exactly when it was updated since it does it automatically) my computer hasn't been quite as laggy--even running it for 5 days without a restart Window Server is only at 1 GB, which is still a lot--but far less less than the 32 GB it was taking up before.

Just wondering in case Google Drive in the menu bar is related to this at all if you run Google Drive on your Mac?

I don't have google drive but i experience the same thing.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
I don't get why everyone complains about this minor UI lag. It's barely noticeable and doesn't irritate me at all.

There are more serious problems with Yosemite.

-Bluetooth connection problems.
-WiFi connection problems
-Safari occasionally makes your whole OS to crash/freeze and you'll have to reboot.

And tons of other bugs...

I think these things should be solved ASAP and people should stop complaining about minor UI lag till all the other problems are solved.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I did a clean install on my rmbp2013 and now it runs very smooth.

I suspect that doing a clean install will solve a lot of the problems people are having with Yosemite. I always do a clean install of major OS X releases. It gives me the chance to clean house from the previous OS X install.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I don't get why everyone complains about this minor UI lag. It's barely noticeable and doesn't irritate me at all.

There are more serious problems with Yosemite.

-Bluetooth connection problems.
-WiFi connection problems
-Safari occasionally makes your whole OS to crash/freeze and you'll have to reboot.

That's relative though.

- I don't use BT; never have, never will.
- WiFi is actually fine here, and despite numerous complaints, I have never had an issue with it. Maybe it's my access point, or the networks I connect to.
- I use Chrome and FF, so I never touch Safari.

However, there are definitely issues with all 3, and Apple needs to fix them. It's just that UI lag is ALWAYS present after a few hours, no matter which apps you use. Thus, I consider it top priority, especially when Windows 8.1 doesn't lag on the same hardware.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
That's relative though.

- WiFi is actually fine here, and despite numerous complaints, I have never had an issue with it. Maybe it's my access point, or the networks I connect to.

However, there are definitely issues with all 3, and Apple needs to fix them. It's just that UI lag is ALWAYS present after a few hours, no matter which apps you use. Thus, I consider it top priority, especially when Windows 8.1 doesn't lag on the same hardware.

Interesting. Since installing Yosemite 10.10.2 (first install of Yosemite, did not do 10.10.0 or 10.10.1) I have not seen a WiFi issue, nor an issue with Safari or any sort of lag issue. I did have an issue where the window manager crashed and caused a reboot. I did track that down to be caused by a Wacom tablet driver issue. After uninstalling the Wacom driver the issue never happened again. I am doing a caution install of Yosemite. And what I mean by is I did a clean install first and then only re-installed one app or driver each day. This allows me to track down a potential problem caused by third party software. So far Yosemite has performed better, for me, then Mavericks, Lion or Snow Leopard on my 27" iMac.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
There's a noticeable UI lag in Yosemite, when resizing windows or scrolling etc.

This happens with all Mac's.

I have reported this to Apple months ago and they told me that it's something that's known.

So they know about it. We don't know when or if they will fix it but at least it's an issue they are aware of.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
That's relative though.

Thats funny because I'm experiencing all of these 3 issues.

-WiFi is quite alright now, it's somewhat improved from the beginning.

-My Bluetooth devices frequently fail to connect to my Mac. I need to switch bluetooth on/off and try pair my devices multiple times before they connect.

-Safari crashes quite rarely now. But usually when it does it also freezes the whole OS which forces me to reboot my machine. Pretty annoying.

I experience all this. Meanwhile I have just very minor UI lag. I mean... I barely notice it. My UI is relatively smooth.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
-Safari crashes quite rarely now. But usually when it does it also freezes the whole OS which forces me to reboot my machine. Pretty annoying.

Safari crashing and causing a system freeze is an indication of a another problem going on. I would suggest a clean install if you have not done that yet.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I'm not seeing much lag anymore since 10.10.2. I had loads before, it was horrible on 10.10.0 and just a little bit less horrible on 10.10.1. But now it seems fine, uptime is 10 days and didn't even notice any problems at all.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
My menu bar is really finicky immediately after rebooting. And sometimes, when I'm downloading something (my Downloads folder is on my dock), the download status bar on my Downloads dock shortcut doesn't go away until I restart Finder.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
I'm not seeing much lag anymore since 10.10.2. I had loads before, it was horrible on 10.10.0 and just a little bit less horrible on 10.10.1. But now it seems fine, uptime is 10 days and didn't even notice any problems at all.

Out of interest, what mac are you using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.