Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The much-anticipated 12-inch Retina MacBook Air is believed to launch sometime in the middle of 2015, but a new rumor out of foreign news website Letem svetem Applem [Google Translate] points to a smaller refresh of the existing MacBook Air line hitting as early as February 24.

macbook_air_yosemite-800x450.jpg
The website, citing sources from the Czech reseller network, states the update will come with no fanfare or keynote presentation, unsurprising considering a lack of major changes for the lineup. The company also won't discuss the long-rumored ultra-slim MacBook Air around the launch of the new refresh, hoping the "quiet" update tides users over until later in the year.

If true, the focus on the fact that the update would be "minor" points to only slight bumps in areas like storage and processing power, with Apple choosing from 2.2GHz Core i5-5250U, 1.8GHz Core i5 chip, and 2GHz Core i7 processors, while keeping the well-known 11- and 13-inch form factors of current MacBook Airs. Intel launched the new Broadwell processors appropriate for the current MacBook Air lineup last month.

Reports of the 12-inch MacBook Air have been swirling for over a year now, but the product missed the originally rumored timeframe of a 2014 launch. Rumored to be in mass production since last month and with claimed part leaks beginning to surface, the Retina MacBook Air is reported to launch sometime in the second quarter of 2015.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Update Non-Retina MacBook Air Line in Late February

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
With all of these rumours plus the Apple Watch coming out soon, I'm really hoping for a keynote to be held sometime soon.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
A Broadwell version of the current 11" MBA would be very welcome. Yes the bezel is big but I love my 11" MBA.

This would also be good news for touch typists and those who like actual ports on their Macs :rolleyes:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
There were rumors saying the 12" Retina was going to still be sold alongside the 13" non-Retina; similar to how Apple transitioned their other Macs.

This could be why the upgrade is coming, plus the fact that it seems the rMBA is taking more time to make. Sounds like Apple went all out on it with the thinness and USB 3.1 port. This is a machine they are going to put in a keynote, so they likely will wait until at least the Apple Watch event or even WWDC.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Those chips are way more energy efficient and have the HD6000 GPU. Not a bad update, considering.

I wonder if Apple will choose to increase the battery life, or reduce the battery capacity to keep the battery life the same?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I really think that the iPad Pro with true multi tasking will be "the thing" this year (if it materializes). It could even kill the need for the Mac laptop.

So that is what I am waiting for, not a bump on the current Air and not a new fanless Air.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm curious as what apple is doing, I think there's way too much overlap in their product line if they do come out with a 12" MBA as people expect them too.

11" MBA
12" MBA
13" MBA
13" rMBP
13" cMBP.

Something's gotta give

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
I wonder if Apple has decided to skip Broadwell and jump right to Skylake. I would have thought that unlikely, but then I see this and I wonder if the slight refresh would buy them enough time for that.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
I am using an i7 13" MBA current gen and I have to say, this machine is almost perfect. It handles a surprisingly heavy load while driving an external monitor. Killer battery life. Super light. Great form factor. Can't wait to see how Apple improves in a few months upon what is already a very attractive product.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I'm less concerned with the 12" MBA vs. 13" MBA, I'm just waiting for a retina MBA. Would a hypothetical Broadwell 13" rMBA have enough graphics horsepower to drive an external retina monitor (via mDP/Thunderbolt)?

holydude

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
I really think that the iPad Pro with true multi tasking will be "the thing" this year (if it materializes). It could even kill the need for the Mac laptop.

So that is what I am waiting for, not a bump on the current Air and not a new fanless Air.

And do you want to run an iOS8 with just true "multitasking" on it or...?

I do not think what would be the benefit of having a bigger "tablet" with the same iOS. Also it would break the consistency too much...they would either have to keep 2gb of ram for it (which would be pretty much too low for such thing) or increase it to a point where the difference would be just too much compared to other iDevices.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I'm curious as what apple is doing, I think there's way too much overlap in their product line if they do come out with a 12" MBA as people expect them too.

11" MBA
12" MBA
13" MBA
13" rMBP
13" cMBP.

Something's gotta give

I am one of those that predicts the classic, cMBA's will disappear at the end of the year, or next year when the 12" rMBA production is ramped up. Of course, that is assuming the 12" rMBA sells well.

holydude

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
I'm less concerned with the 12" MBA vs. 13" MBA, I'm just waiting for a retina MBA. Would a hypothetical Broadwell 13" rMBA have enough graphics horsepower to drive an external retina monitor (via mDP/Thunderbolt)?

define external retina monitor...there's no such thing you can buy from Apple.
If you what you mean is 4k then yes there should not be a problem with that.

----------

I would personally like to see an ARM retina MBA. It would be a PITA at first but could improve drastically and apple would not be so dependent on Intel.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I would personally like to see an ARM retina MBA. It would be a PITA at first but could improve drastically and apple would not be so dependent on Intel.

I thought that there would be a lot of upside to an ARM rMBA as well. Those rumors seem to have died away.

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
I think it's unlikely Apple would update the MBA to Broadwell-U if the rMBA is going to use Core-M. You wouldn't want your "Flagship" MBA to be significantly less powerful than the older model.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wasn't there a recent rumor about the "12" iPad Pro" also being delayed until later this year? I still think my theory of the two either being the same device or very similar holds some water. Why all the delays with this device if it's not ARM-based? We currently have the tech to make a thinner, retina 12" MBA.

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
I think it's unlikely Apple would update the MBA to Broadwell-U if the rMBA is going to use Core-M. You wouldn't want your "Flagship" MBA to be significantly less powerful than the older model.

They've already done it with Mac Mini :)

Last edited:

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009

11" MBA
12" MBA
13" MBA
13" rMBP
13" cMBP.

Something's gotta give

As an owner of MBA 11 inch, I don't see any overlaps.
The 12 inch MBA is retina and probably more expensive.
13 inch is larger one, Pro notebooks are retina Pro notebooks.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
So the question for me now is do I go with a recently updated, proven form factor in the upcoming 11" Air with a non-retina display, or a bleeding edge thin, untested in the wild 12" in an 11" body with retina, a new processor, new approach to ports and power...

There are a lot of unknowns in the 12", whereas the 11" is tried, tested and true. But going non-retina in a retina world seems like a step backwards in some ways.

So torn.

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
They've already done it with Mac Mini )

Not exactly. They crippled the Mac Mini in comparison to the previous model and stopped sales of the previous model. They didn't come out with a new, high end Mac Mini that is less powerful than the regular Mac Mini that they still sell along side of it.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007

11" MBA
12" MBA
13" MBA
13" rMBP
13" cMBP.

Something's gotta give

I think the 11" and 13" MacBook Air days are numbered and the rMBP's will keep getting thinner and lighter until they are in Air territory but they'll keep the Pro names.

So it'll end up like this:

12" MBA
13" rMBP
15" rMBP

And that'll be it.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON

Unless power/speed is not one of the the selling features of the rMBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.