Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjvr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2014
My ipad mini 1st gen wont start. When i connect it appear a big battery icon on the screen but don't charge or do anything.

I think battery is defective.

I'm considering buy a cheap battery replacement, but i not sure if it works good. Will be a good choice?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i would take it to apple first and see what they say. you may get lucky and have them replace it for free or fix it.

only then after you go through those steps, should you consider a 3rd party replacement. you can do it yourself if youre inclined, but ipads are tricky and frankly, a pain in the butt to disassemble.

Bomb Bloke

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2015
Tasmania (AU)
As in, you've got to heat up the glass enough to neutralise the glue holding it in place, then prise it away from the casing without cracking it. Once that's off you've got to undo the metal plate holding the flex cable to the logic board, and then disconnect the battery from underneath the display whilst making sure the display itself doesn't become disconnected first (because if it does, a fuse leading to the backlight will blow and you've got a rather interesting soldering job ahead of you).

If you're not familiar with heatgun usage and so on, forget about replacing the battery yourself.

Bear in mind that in some regions (eg Australia), local laws may grant you additional coverage on top of your warranty duration.

On the flip side, batteries wear out through use, and if yours has gone through a certain number of charge cycles warranty won't apply even if you're still within the coverage period.

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to get an Apple authorised service provider to check the device out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.