Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
http://photorumors.com/2015/02/18/adobe-lightroom-6-leaked-online/

Adobe-Lightroom-61.jpg

Key features of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6
Environment nondestructive

Unleash your creativity in a nondestructive editing environment that allows you to test your ideas freely. The originals remain intact and you can easily cancel your edits or save multiple versions of a cliché.

Advanced conversion feature black and white

Monitor closely the tonal qualities so essential to the black and white photos. Combine precisely the information of eight color layers in the grayscale conversion.

Development predefined settings

Save time by instantly applying the desired effect to your images.

Just save develop settings as a preset and apply them to other photos in a click. If Lightroom includes dozens of presets, thousands more are offered by third parties.

Face Recognition

Quickly find pictures of loved ones, even without metadata tags. You select a face on the photo, Lightroom and search the person it belongs to all of your other shots. Sort and group your photos by faces.

Sophisticated Healing Brush

Get best pictures with one touch. Set the brush size and move it according to specific plots. Unwanted items and other imperfections, including irregular shapes son type, magically disappear.

Upright (Vertically)

Straighten skewed images with a single click. The Upright tool (Vertically) analyzes the image and detects horizontal or vertical lines inclined. It can even recover images without horizon.

Merge to HDR

Create realistic or surreal images from high-contrast scenes. By merging HDR, you can easily combine photos with different exposures into a single HDR image.

Fusion panoramas

Realize XXL ultra detailed panoramas. Photo merge technology lets you merge multiple images, including raw files, to create panoramas out of the ordinary.

Performance gains

Import and refine your photos in record time. Lightroom leverages compatible graphics process to get you better performance, especially when you edit your images in the Develop module.

Sophisticated video slideshows

Create stunning slideshows combining still images, movies and music, and supplement them with pan and zoom effects, for example.

Optimized web galleries

Present your work in the most elegant web galleries, more attractive and interactive. The new models of HTML5 compatible galleries are supported by many browsers and mobile devices work stations.

Integration of online sharing

Easily publish images on social networks and sites for such as Facebook and Flickr. On some sites, you can even view the online comments on your images directly from Lightroom Library.

Creating photo books

Create beautiful photo books. Lightroom includes a large number of user-friendly catalog templates that you can now customize. Load them then printing a few clicks.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
I'm super excited. It's odd, it seems that at one point Apple had a program similar to this but I can't even remember what it's called anymore :)

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
i'm super excited. It's odd, it seems that at one point apple had a program similar to this but i can't even remember what it's called anymore :)

:D

Face Recognition

Merge to HDR

Fusion panoramas

Performance gains (utilizing GPU) [It is unfortunate that the graphics cards are so weak in Macs, the performance will likely be somewhat better on windows platforms] my editorial

Sophisticated video slideshows

Optimized web galleries

Integration of online sharing

Creating photo books

Last edited:

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I had really hoped they might change the UI paradigm away from the modules concept and offer a more customizable user interface to allow the app to fit my workflow rather than the other way around. Let's face it, most people buying Lightroom today probably thinks the "Develop" module has something to do with web or app development.

The 25th anniversary of Photoshop was a clear reminder that I'll likely be long gone before Adobe tries to improve the user experience in any of their applications. :(

This mashup says it better than I can...

13-800x420.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't expect much in terms of the UI changing, for a lot of reasons. People are now entrenched in LR, making a change will certainly upset the apple cart. We Aperture convertees are having issues with that, I'm not sure if everyone hates it (or at least as learned to live with it).

I would love an improved ACR, but I'm not expecting that. We've seen others show that they can easily pull out more detail sharpness, and accuracy of an image, Adobe certainly can improve this one area instead of adding flashy improvements.

OF the improvements that were leaked, I am impressed. It does look like a solid upgrade, the purchase option is there and that's great as well.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I had really hoped they might change the UI paradigm away from the modules concept and offer a more customizable user interface to allow the app to fit my workflow rather than the other way around. Let's face it, most people buying Lightroom today probably thinks the "Develop" module has something to do with web or app development.

Bizarre logic.

I think people understand context, and thus Develop means to develop the photo. Why would someone using Lightroom, a known photo development and management tool, think they would be making an app?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Bizarre logic.

I think people understand context, and thus Develop means to develop the photo. Why would someone using Lightroom, a known photo development and management tool, think they would be making an app?
In the context of the post, the logic wasn't bizarre at all: many people don't like the fact that Adobe chose to use the module paradigm (especially people who come from Aperture).

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
In the context of the post, the logic wasn't bizarre at all: many people don't like the fact that Adobe chose to use the module paradigm (especially people who come from Aperture).

Many people, true.

But 'many people' will complain longly and loudly if they change it also. There are people who can't stand Aperture and love the 'intuitive' interface Adobe offers (note that I am not one of them, just acknowledging such people exist).

So, Adobe can do nothing and listen to 'many people' complain about the UI, OR
Adobe can hire UI Devs, spend tons of money, risk introducing bugs and listen to 'many people' complain.

'Many people,' arguably most people do not like change and will fight it tooth and nail. Why would Adobe upset the Apple cart (actually, the non-Apple cart) for a small percentage of Aperture converts, many of whom would never admit to happiness with Adobe anyway?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I had really hoped they might change the UI paradigm

Once Adobe settles on a paradigm, they don't seem to ever want to shift so my guess is that they'll stay put. They might move stuff around occasionally or "modernize" the look but real UI/UX changes are few/far between (in my opinion). Adobe is ubiquitous and, for better or worse, they're the ones people compare other apps to so they won't likely lead the UI change revolution. :)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Many people, true.

But 'many people' will complain longly and loudly if they change it also. There are people who can't stand Aperture and love the 'intuitive' interface Adobe offers (note that I am not one of them, just acknowledging such people exist).
I understand that there are people who prefer to work in modules (weird and wicked minds! ;)), but I think a lot can be done by customization, giving people more choice. I believe that'd be advantageous not only for people who preferred Aperture, but all users.

Ditto for more options in file management, this is something where Adobe could add features but keep the defaults as their are now.
'Many people,' arguably most people do not like change and will fight it tooth and nail. Why would Adobe upset the Apple cart (actually, the non-Apple cart) for a small percentage of Aperture converts, many of whom would never admit to happiness with Adobe anyway?
You're right, some people will complain only because it “looks differently” and they see no benefit in such a change. That's where frequent updates are advantageous: you can boil the frog slowly if you wanted to. But to keep things as they are just because people complain is a very bad argument in my opinion, it stifles progress. Look where it got Microsoft, despite its market share in the traditional PC segment, it feels like an also-ran, and their products are picked by fiat, not consumer choice.

That's why I believe Lightroom needs good competitors – even and especially Lightroom users need that, otherwise who is going to keep Adobe on their toes?
Once Adobe settles on a paradigm, they don't seem to ever want to shift so my guess is that they'll stay put. They might move stuff around occasionally or "modernize" the look but real UI/UX changes are few/far between (in my opinion). Adobe is ubiquitous and, for better or worse, they're the ones people compare other apps to so they won't likely lead the UI change revolution. :)
Unfortunately, I believe you are right. It seems the only way for Adobe to adopt a new UI/UX paradigm is to release a new app.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Neither did I, but I've recently been offered the CC at half price through work, so I'm a little tempted to get PS. Probably stick with the standalone software though.

PS CC doesn't really offer me anything that I absolutely need for my post process workflow, so I'm content with my copy of CS6 for the time being. I probably will upgrade to LR 6 when it's released though.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
PS CC doesn't really offer me anything that I absolutely need for my post process workflow, so I'm content with my copy of CS6 for the time being. I probably will upgrade to LR 6 when it's released though.
Don't you lose lossless roundtripping when you upgrade? AFAIK that only works if you use the same version of ACR on both ends.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Don't you lose lossless roundtripping when you upgrade? AFAIK that only works if you use the same version of ACR on both ends.

Is round tripping actually lossless? The External Editing settings for Photoshop only give TIFF and PSD as options - is there someway to actually have PS work off the RAW file?

(forgive me, I'm a LR / PS newbie)

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
...But to keep things as they are just because people complain is a very bad argument in my opinion, it stifles progress. Look where it got Microsoft, despite its market share in the traditional PC segment, it feels like an also-ran, and their products are picked by fiat, not consumer choice.

If Adobe was in business to make progress, I would agree with you. Actually, they would agree with you. I already do. I tend to like changes so long as they are improvements.

Making big changes to a program is a risk. It may not be to Adobe, but would you want to be the project manager that oversaw a large drop in sales even as one of your competitors dropped out of the market?

[Sidetrack]
I read an article a while back about how a bunch of former Microsoft Execs were asked how they ended up being worth less than Apple's cell phone division when they had to loan Apple money to keep the company afloat and had such giant marketshare.

To a man, they talked about 'yank and rank' where the top guys get raises and the lowest guys get nothing or let go. The article went on to discuss how this stifled innovation because people were afraid to take risks (at Microsoft or anywhere else). It lead directly to the shelving of some cloud ideas Microsoft teams had before everyone else was delivering to market.

They then went on to point out how this became popular after Enron had such great numbers using it (but they were cooking the books, for those of you with short memories, and went bankrupt amid great scandal). Strangely, many workplaces still use this method. Samsung does, for instance (an excellent example of a 'make it like theirs, but.. ' company).
[/sidetrack]

While Adobe might not go broke if Lightroom tanks for a season, someone would lose their job and that could be quite stressful for them.

----------

Is round tripping actually lossless? The External Editing settings for Photoshop only give TIFF and PSD as options - is there someway to actually have PS work off the RAW file?

(forgive me, I'm a LR / PS newbie)

Tiff is lossless (or can be). PSD is non-destructive and lossless.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Tiff is lossless (or can be). PSD is non-destructive and lossless.

I guess I had a different concept of lossless in mind. I was thinking of Lossless from the RAW - meaning it was worked off the full RAW not a baked TIFF image (or what I'm assuming would also be a baked PSD). Is there a way for the RAW data set to be incorporated in a PSD?

Above it was mentioned about using ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) which is why I had made this assumption. I took this to mean PS would work off the RAW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.