Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
When using Safari on my laptop or iPhone, there appear to be links automatically inserted into words like Amazon, Walmart, eBay. For example in this thread.

Is this something MR is doing? If so I find it extremely tacky. If it isn't something MR is doing, does anyone know how to get rid of this phenomenon?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm getting it on Safari on Yosemite, and IE on Windows 10. It's very annoying.

On the more ironic side, it appears as though my signature is now a free link to Dell.com :eek:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
The links don't appear if you use extensions which can't be talked about here.

Enable those un-named extensions, and the links go bye-bye.

I agree, tacky on MR's part.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
The links don't appear if you use extensions which can't be talked about here.

Enable those un-named extensions, and the links go bye-bye.

I agree, tacky on MR's part.

Yes, I discovered that. Nothing much to do on the iPhone though if I want to continue to use the default browser.

As a contributing member, is it possible to turn this off?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Yes, I discovered that. Nothing much to do on the iPhone though if I want to continue to use the default browser.

As a contributing member, is it possible to turn this off?

Unless the Skimlinks mod is modified, it can't be turned off by members on an individual basis. This may not be an issue once the forum upgrade is done. I don't recall this mod being available for the new software.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Unless the Skimlinks mod is modified, it can't be turned off by members on an individual basis. This may not be an issue once the forum upgrade is done. I don't recall this mod being available for the new software.

Hmmm, okay. This must be a relatively new 'enhancement' as I browse the MR forums from my phone regularly, and I only just noticed these links being inserted.

I'll just reiterate that I think this 'enhancement' is tacky, distracting, and really degrades the experience.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Hmmm, okay. This must be a relatively new 'enhancement' as I browse the MR forums from my phone regularly, and I only just noticed these links being inserted.

I'll just reiterate that I think this 'enhancement' is tacky, distracting, and really degrades the experience.

The good thing is it'll make the spammer's jobs easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.