Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest numbers from research firm IDC reveal that the smartphone market continues to be a largely two-horse race between iOS and Android, which accounted for 19.7% and 76.6% market share in the fourth quarter respectively. The mobile operating systems combined to dominate Windows Phone, BlackBerry and all other platforms with 96.3% market share during the three-month period ending December.

IDC-Q4-2014-Smartphones.png
iOS increased 2.2 percentage points to 19.7% during the fourth quarter over its 15.1% market share in the year-ago quarter, while Android experienced a marginal year-over-year decline as its market share slipped from 78.2% to 76.6%. Apple shipped a record-breaking 192.7 million iPhones during 2014 on the strength of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, while overall Android device shipments on the year surpassed the 1 billion mark.

IDC-Q4-20141.png
Android and iOS continue to dominate the smartphone operating system race, resulting in a smaller battle between Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Firefox OS and less popular platforms for third place. Windows Phone and BlackBerry were the closest runner-ups to iOS and Android, claiming 2.8% and 0.4% market share in the fourth quarter respectively to close out 2014. All other platforms held 0.6% market share on the year.

Article Link: iOS and Android Combine for 96.3% Smartphone Market Share in Fourth Quarter

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey
I guess Blackberry still feels like there's a chance against Apple and Android (and even Windows). I'd just give in already and spend your time and resources elsewhere...

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
The Church of Market Share

What was the income of the Android Corp in the 4th quarter of 2014? How much profit did they make? How about the handset makers who used their OS? Understand, if they open source it, that's fine. Oh, but you don't get the whole package unless...

What percentage of Android Corp phones are actually smartphones, running the latest version?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Blackberry tanking, and Windows phone hanging on - managed a small increase.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
What was the income of the Android Corp in the 4th quarter of 2014? How much profit did they make? How about the handset makers who used their OS? Understand, if they open source it, that's fine. Oh, but you don't get the whole package unless...

What percentage of Android Corp phones are actually smartphones, running the latest version?

Apple took in 93% in Q1 2015, Samsung and LG taking the rest. Everyone else lost lots of money.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Firefox OS

What? I have never heard of this before.

Edit:

Here it is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_OS

It looks like such a joke - why bother mentioning it? It's like mentioning Tizen or TempleOS. They're OSs that are neither particularly new (each being a few years old), have no worthwhile marketshare now, and never had worthwhile marketshare... further, they had no influence on the design of other OSs.

Last edited:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

That is why this comparison doesn't really mean alot.

cbobb123

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014

Stop being so defensive. Android will always have a higher market share because they make both high and low end devices.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Wow, it really come to this. Two horse race.
Blackberry, windows, firefox os, etc mobile os has become a spectator really at this moment.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Too bad for BBRY. I just put a new battery into my nearly two year old BBRY Q10 and the battery life with a fresh battery and the further optimized OS is amazing. I can take it off the charger in the morning, and not have to recharge until I got to sleep on the following day. So it isn't a full 48 hours, but it certainly is two full workdays. It is really a solid phone and the replaceable battery made the process so much easier than when I open up an iPhone.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
The questions that i think will be answered this year include:

1. will apple Pay influence buying decisions
2. will the watch influence buying decision
3. will they sell smaller form factors (3.5 and 4 inch displays)

I think that if Apple Pay and Apple Watch influence phone purchases (I think Apple Pay certainly will) and if they sell cheaper and small form factors, I belive Apple could get to 300 million or higher within 2 years (probably not 2015, but doable for 2016).

Just my thoughts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.