Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phospholipid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
I have a mid 2012 macbook pro which I bought on eBay in 2014. Since I bought it I began to get problems with the power management of the laptop. For isntance, I would shut down the computer, and it would just not turn back on for a few days. This happened multiple times and I've taken it to the genius bar and they offered to do a full test and see what was wrong. The test turned out that nothing was wrong, and it worked fine for a little while. Also, the genius bar person let me know that in fact, the previous owner also had this problem (thanks eBay!).

Now, a week ago it happened again - but this time it wouldn't come back on for 5 days so I called up apple support, and even though it was out of warranty they offered to get it repaired for free. I sent it off to an apple approved technician and they called me and said when it arrived it had turned back on fine, and he was running tests and found nothing. But he said whilst turning on the computer he found that the power management had become corrupt and that a usb cable can cause this, and said when the battery goes to 0 charge it can then be recharged and turned on (and battery must have gone to 0 during the delivery). He said it is usually due to a usb cable of some sort but I have never plugged a usb into my laptop, and certainly not in the past few months. He said he didn't know what else it could be. I asked him to keep testing it for a few more days and if he finds nothing to send it back.

Now, I'm almost certain he wont find anything but this problem will continue to happen. I have already reinstalled the operating system, looked up how to take care of the power management online, replaced the charger etc. I have no idea what to do if it happens again - this is extremely annoying as it means my macbook isn't reliable. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this - I want to get a replacement, but that's obviously not an option. I need this laptop for my computer science classes and I cannot for the life of me gather enough money even for a cheap netbook.

Any advice, thank you.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since you bought the laptop in 2014, you cannot contact the seller, its too late for that, so your only option is to take it to apple and let them diagnose the issue. Sounds like a hardware issue to me.

Just in case, its not, however have you backed up your system and tried a clean install of OS X?

phospholipid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
Hi yes j have tried a fresh install many times but to no avail. I've also sent in the laptop three times as stated in my original post and apple have yet to find anything wrong with the computer , so now I don't know what to do .

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hi yes j have tried a fresh install many times but to no avail. I've also sent in the laptop three times as stated in my original post and apple have yet to find anything wrong with the computer , so now I don't know what to do .

I would continue to press the issue with Apple.

My MBP would randomly act up (graphics issue). I took it to Apple. They ran tests overnight at the store, and didn't find anything. They offered to send it off to their repair depot in Texas for further testing. They ended up replacing the logic board and I haven't had any problems since.

If they don't find anything again at the store, ask them to send it to the repair depot. They can run more involved tests there, that the stores cannot.

phospholipid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
I would continue to press the issue with Apple.

My MBP would randomly act up (graphics issue). I took it to Apple. They ran tests overnight at the store, and didn't find anything. They offered to send it off to their repair depot in Texas for further testing. They ended up replacing the logic board and I haven't had any problems since.

If they don't find anything again at the store, ask them to send it to the repair depot. They can run more involved tests there, that the stores cannot.

It's at the repair depot right now I believe, well I think it is. They still haven't found anything and I'll be getting it returned in two days, but I know it will just act up again if they haven't changed a thing.

phospholipid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
could anyone give some suggestions? The repair technician gave me a call and told me that he doesn't know what else to try because he cannot reproduce the problem - I'm not sure what else to do, because I know in a few months or a few weeks or even a few days it will reoccur and I won't be able to use my computer for 72 hours or so

Fairchild

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Bad batteries can cause this kind of behaviour on rare occasion. They might check out ok in diagnostics, but that might not be the whole truth. If it isn't the battery, it's the logic board. Has Apple tried putting in a new battery for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.