Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
Hi guys I'm sorry for bothering you with another thread. what improvement's do you guys predict with the next iteration? Or is it possible that the iPad pro will be the only focus for this year. Assuming either one exists of course. I love my air 2 but will take it back if there is a chance of better resolution or battery life. I am not interested in the pro personally. This isn't meant to be a complaint thread. I am aware that the other topic I made may have come off a bit shortsighted and I apologize. I scanned the front page but didn't see a specific topic for air 3. My apologies if there is a thread like this already. I have till the 23rd which Is why I am making this lol. Thanks guys.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
If you like it then keep it imo ...iPads or in general tabets and even phones be it ios or android are really just spec and gimmick upgrades and os update features. They usually add new cpu , GPU and ram sometimes. They will add software features like say in android 5.0 ART runtime is now on by default which supposedly helps battery life which before android run on DAVIK I think it's called . iOS 8 added widgets in the notification bar and so forth. Apple I guess will add something cool but never something that makes you MUST upgrade. Like the air 2 upgrades while nice it doesn't mean the air 1 is bad

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
The Air 2 is an amazing iPad.

The Air 3 will be better than an Air 2 somehow, because it's the next generation. There's no rumours yet, but I'd expect a minor redesign and a faster A9 chip.

However, that's at least 8 months away. The iPad Air 2 is more powerful than it needs to be for every single app it can run. It's an amazing piece of tech. My advice is to keep the Air 2 you already have and enjoy it for those 8 months.

If the Air 3 has something that you absolutely can't live without sell your Air 2 and buy the Air 3. You'll get a good price for the Air 2, because Apple products generally hold on to their value well. There's no reason for you to be without an iPad for 8 months when you already own the latest and greatest version.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
The Air 2 is an amazing iPad.

The Air 3 will be better than an Air 2 somehow, because it's the next generation. There's no rumours yet, but I'd expect a minor redesign and a faster A9 chip.

However, that's at least 8 months away. The iPad Air 2 is more powerful than it needs to be for every single app it can run. It's an amazing piece of tech. My advice is to keep the Air 2 you already have and enjoy it for those 8 months.

If the Air 3 has something that you absolutely can't live without sell your Air 2 and buy the Air 3. You'll get a good price for the Air 2, because Apple products generally hold on to their value well. There's no reason for you to be without an iPad for 8 months when you already own the latest and greatest version.

What are the chances of a higher res? I really cant afford to sell and buy another iPad. especially when i will get apple care with the one i keep.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Perhaps the Air 3 will have a fancy new pressure-sensitive screen, that alone could greatly improve even ordinary usability if they were to include it into the overall UI (e.g., a harder touch to raise a contextual menu, maybe better palm rejection).

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Hopefully, it won't be like going to the Ipad Mini 3 where all you get is the option of a new color, and the option to pay more for more storage. TouchID's already in.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I'd rule out substantially better battery life, unless the device is getting bigger or there are significant breakthrough in technology. iOS power optimizations would affect current iPads also.

I don't know about a higher resolution. There's no pressing need for that, neither in terms of customer demands nor in terms of competition, but there's also been no change in a while. iPad 1 and 2 had 132 ppi, iPad 3, 4, Air and Air 2 had 2048x1536 with 264 ppi. May seem like a step up is around the corner, but the current resolution is in a pretty good spot, I feel. (And what resolution would it be while keeping the format? Needs compatibility with present apps, and there is power consumption to consider, too.)

Maybe there won't be a new regular iPad and we'll instead see a (more expensive) "pro" model only. Those short product spans have some adverse effects on sales too, so maybe Apple will slow down. Probably not, but who knows? Knowing there is a new model every 10-12 months has always been a turn off for me.

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
What are the chances of a higher res? I really cant afford to sell and buy another iPad. especially when i will get apple care with the one i keep.

No idea. There aren't any rumors about the next generation 9.7" iPad circulating the internet yet. It's too early in the release cycle and the iPad Pro is stealing most of the limelight.

Honestly the iPad Air 2 is the best iPad there has ever been, and it has a great quality screen already. If you already own one don't return it. Use it. There will always be something better in the product pipeline. That's the nature of technology.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Predictions: A9 Chip and iOS 9.

Expectations: The same "smooth, continuous form" where "the cover glass curves down around the sides to meet the anodized aluminum enclosure in a remarkable, simplified design. There are no distinct edges. No gaps. Just a smooth, seamless bond of metal and glass that feels like one continuous surface" as the iPhone 6.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I hope they isolate the speakers better from the chassis so it doesn't vibrate so badly. Or, God forbid, beef up the chassis itself and add a mm back to its size?

They must do something to take care of the issues that being so thin has caused. I hope.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
The distortion spot needs to be removed. Without doubt the worst new feature of the iPad air 2.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

How much higher res do you want ? It's already a sub 2k or QHD display and more res would require more battery power which means bigger battery and making it thicker which Apple won't do .....the display is perfect as it is now ....a sub 4k display will just destroy battery life

----------

The distortion spot needs to be removed. Without doubt the worst new feature of the iPad air 2.

There is none ....people making this an issue ? Use an iPad normally and it's not an issue .....

----------

I hope they isolate the speakers better from the chassis so it doesn't vibrate so badly. Or, God forbid, beef up the chassis itself and add a mm back to its size?

They must do something to take care of the issues that being so thin has caused. I hope.

They will NEVER make it thicker .....

----------

My bet? Curved Glass and OLED display.

They will never used curved glass or AMOLED ever as much as I want them to.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
No one says apple will even come out with an updated iPad air this year. Truthfully there is no need for it. Apple should do every 2 years now with the iPad. This year will be the iPad pro. The mini might get updated to be more like the air or they might just discontinue it.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
No one says apple will even come out with an updated iPad air this year. Truthfully there is no need for it. Apple should do every 2 years now with the iPad. This year will be the iPad pro. The mini might get updated to be more like the air or they might just discontinue it.

I'll take the opposing view and say Apple has to release a new iPad every year. It's still a hugely profitable product for them. They are still considered the leaders in tablets. If they were to skip a year on the iPad that would signal the company no longer believes in the long term future of the product and you'd see competitors jumping in to take their place.

Just look what happened when they skipped a year with the Mac Pro and two years with the Mac Mini?

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I'll take the opposing view and say Apple has to release a new iPad every year. It's still a hugely profitable product for them. They are still considered the leaders in tablets. If they were to skip a year on the iPad that would signal the company no longer believes in the long term future of the product and you'd see competitors jumping in to take their place.

Just look what happened when they skipped a year with the Mac Pro and two years with the Mac Mini?

Yeah, could be. Look at what the competition is doing with their version of the Apple TV. They are all making it better and better while Apple is still selling a device from 2012.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
It's probably going to be slightly faster with an iPhone 6-esque design, more efficient display and 12-13 hour battery life.

Not sure how they're gonna add 2-3 hours more of battery life since it's getting thinner with every version. They make it thinner but more efficient, thus obtaining the same battery life. For a big gain like that, they'd have to increase the battery.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Not sure how they're gonna add 2-3 hours more of battery life since it's getting thinner with every version. They make it thinner but more efficient, thus obtaining the same battery life. For a big gain like that, they'd have to increase the battery.

I think it will actually be slightly thicker, but it won't feel thicker in the hands because it's rounded.

And it will probably use an IGZO display which is more efficient.

Last edited:

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007

Agree, fix the vibrator "feature".

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
How much higher res do you want ? It's already a sub 2k or QHD display and more res would require more battery power which means bigger battery and making it thicker which Apple won't do .....the display is perfect as it is now ....a sub 4k display will just destroy battery life

----------

There is none ....people making this an issue ? Use an iPad normally and it's not an issue .....

----------

They will NEVER make it thicker .....

----------

They will never used curved glass or AMOLED ever as much as I want them to.

Um if you play one of the Apple Watch videos on an iPad Air 2 with the volume above 30% it vibrates loudly. Use Garageband and it will do the same. This is normal usage and its distracting. They made the device too thin or didn't consider the acoustics correctly.

And they have had iPads thicker than the previous generation: See iPad 2 to iPad 3 with Retina Display. It was thicker.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Like others, I would expect a new form factor more like the current iPhones, slightly thinner with a new chip and improved cameras (maybe). I wouldn't expect anything revolutionary. Apple has indicated across a wide range of products that ~10 hours is their battery life target and if they can get that, they will instead choose to make the device thinner over adding battery life.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Um if you play one of the Apple Watch videos on an iPad Air 2 with the volume above 30% it vibrates loudly. Use Garageband and it will do the same. This is normal usage and its distracting. They made the device too thin or didn't consider the acoustics correctly.

And they have had iPads thicker than the previous generation: See iPad 2 to iPad 3 with Retina Display. It was thicker.

I use my iPad Air 2 and NO it doesn't vibrate loudly nor is it annoying. They did that for the battery ...no way their going thicker again after going thinner and a selling point you be dreaming forever then till you die if you want a thicker iPad . Seriously people want to complain about such minor issues and exaggerate it

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
100% anti-glare screen. A simpler TouchID redesign. More colors. Curved glass with no chamfer bezel. Haptic feedback. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.