Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I use my iPad Air 2 and NO it doesn't vibrate loudly nor is it annoying. They did that for the battery ...no way their going thicker again after going thinner and a selling point you be dreaming forever then till you die if you want a thicker iPad . Seriously people want to complain about such minor issues and exaggerate it

Nope, I'm not exaggerating. What ulterior motive do people have buying iPad Air 2 and returning it because the vibration is so distracting??? Obviously people have different thresholds of what is acceptable.

I really wanted to like my iPad Air 2 but the vibration was annoying (I watch lots of videos). I don't want a thicker iPad, but the iPad Air 1 is thicker & vibration wasn't as noticeable - I would be fine if they went back to that (and gave it extra battery).

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Nope, I'm not exaggerating. What ulterior motive do people have buying iPad Air 2 and returning it because the vibration is so distracting??? Obviously people have different thresholds of what is acceptable.

I really wanted to like my iPad Air 2 but the vibration was annoying (I watch lots of videos). I don't want a thicker iPad, but the iPad Air 1 is thicker & vibration wasn't as noticeable - I would be fine if they went back to that (and gave it extra battery).

It isn't though ....I watch a ton of video and IDC about the vibrations ....also have sound at 65%. You want to return it be my guest but it's a non issue people want to turn it into one ....

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Obviously people have different thresholds of what is acceptable...
I think this is precisely the issue. For me, the vibration isn't excessive or distracting.
Others disagree and I respect that.
I just don't want to be told that they all vibrate "excessively" and the sound quality is "awful".
For some, I suppose that's the case. For others of us, not so.
For potential purchasers, if you think this is something that might bother you, try to see one live before you buy. But that's 'sound' advice (pun intended) no matter what you're buying!

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
It isn't though ....I watch a ton of video and IDC about the vibrations ....also have sound at 65%. You want to return it be my guest but it's a non issue people want to turn it into one ....

Nope. Wrong. The overly thin chassis is causing a lot of speaker related issues. The Air 2 vibrates like a 1980s pager and the screen resonates too while listening to music and typing which is a pretty basic use case.

But, you go ahead and claim it's not a problem. I suppose one could say that flesh eating bacteria and kidney stones aren't really problems either.... If you decide they aren't that is. :rolleyes:

:p

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Nope. Wrong. The overly thin chassis is causing a lot of speaker related issues. The Air 2 vibrates like a 1980s pager and the screen resonates too while listening to music and typing which is a pretty basic use case.

But, you go ahead and claim it's not a problem. I suppose one could say that flesh eating bacteria and kidney stones aren't really problems either.... If you decide they aren't that is. :rolleyes:

:p

It doesn't vibrate like at all though and is an exaggeration completely

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
-Design similar to iPhone 6 (rounded edges etc.)
-A9X chip (1.5x-2x faster than A8X), still 2 GB of RAM, maybe faster flash like in Galaxy S6
-A new retina HD screen with improved contrast, brightness etc. (like on iPhone 6), maaaybe with higher resolution (3072 x 2304)
-Slight upgrades to the cameras

That's it, basically...

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
Nope, I'm not exaggerating. What ulterior motive do people have buying iPad Air 2 and returning it because the vibration is so distracting???

What ulterior motives do people have to make fantastical claims on the internet? I can think of a long list of answers here.

I read a lot of stuff on here, and in general, that simply doesn't reflect my own experiences with things. In case of the iPad Air 2, I can only say that I consistently get over 10 hours of battery life, that I have minimal vibrating (certainly it does not "vibrate loudly", which implies it makes noise!), and that I have no distortions when holding the device.

Now, either there are vast differences between different production series, or some people are exaggerating or parroting for whatever other reason. And no, it's not simply only subjective: you either have distortions or you don't, and it either "vibrates loudly" or it doesn't, and it either always has 10+ hours of battery life when "just browsing at 40% brightness" or it never has more than a third of it.

lra108

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2013
I think they probably won't change the design....
Same Design
New A9X
Force Touch screen
slightly better battery life
slightly better camera
Split screen multitasking

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I reckon slight redesign - A9 (which may improve power usage).

Maybe a better screen, however battery tech would need to cater for this.. and I don't think it does now.

Whatever it is, I hope there are good improvements, as I'll probably end up getting the Air 2 to replace my iPad 2, if my iPad 2 doesn't support iOS 9.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
It doesn't vibrate like at all though and is an exaggeration completely

Just making the point that it IS a real issue that affects people differently. Glad yours either doesn't do it or doesn't bother you. Or, maybe your use case doesn't reveal the issue. That's how it works with this stuff. Some folks are affected, some aren't. No need for either side to "hate" on one another or dismiss the claims as BS.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
What ulterior motives do people have to make fantastical claims on the internet? I can think of a long list of answers here.

I read a lot of stuff on here, and in general, that simply doesn't reflect my own experiences with things. In case of the iPad Air 2, I can only say that I consistently get over 10 hours of battery life, that I have minimal vibrating (certainly it does not "vibrate loudly", which implies it makes noise!), and that I have no distortions when holding the device.

Now, either there are vast differences between different production series, or some people are exaggerating or parroting for whatever other reason. And no, it's not simply only subjective: you either have distortions or you don't, and it either "vibrates loudly" or it doesn't, and it either always has 10+ hours of battery life when "just browsing at 40% brightness" or it never has more than a third of it.

I respect what you say but I have an iPad 4 and had an iPad Air 2. The iPad Air 2 vibrated a lot when playing music/videos set at 1/3 the max volume. I played the same items on my iPad 4 (I had to bump the volume 1/2 the max volume to get the same loudness) and the vibration was barely there.

Unfortunately, dealing with quality & standards are subjective. I agree that Battery Life isn't subjective but "vibration being distracting" is subjective.

Also, I would have loved to kept my iPad Air 2 but the volume issue was too distracting and unacceptable to me for paying for a $600 product. There was no ulterior motive to return it. This was the first time I ever returned an Apple product too.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I was just going to post a similar thread asking people what features would make them purchase an iPad Air 3. The Air 2 was such a magnificent update that I think it would be hard to beat. This tablet could easily be the one I keep for several years. However, Apple has a way of adding at least one killer feature that makes me want to upgrade. With the Air 2, they got me for a few reasons. The drastic reduction in thinness and lightness, the super fast CPU, and fingerprint scanner.

Some things that an Air 3 might need to have to make me want to upgrade: Removal of the physical home button and make the whole device a screen. With force touch technology, they could possibly make it so that a "hard press" in a general aread would wake up the iPad. Haptic feedback would also greatly enhance user interaction. It's hard to believe that they could go thinner and lighter, but reducing those things would surely make a new generation a must have. I am reminded of the iPhone depicted in the British TV show Dark Mirror where the device is almost paper thin and is a translucent piece of glass.

Being a media device, I'd like to see the iPad have better speakers. Perhaps front facing stereo speakers like on the Nexus 10.

I'd also like to see more of the surface area of the iPad be screen so there is less border.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
OP - I upgrade my stuff constantly, just check my sig. I've got a bunch of devices.

My iPad Air 2 will be with me for a LONG time. Unless Apple releases something crazy.

I have no plans or desire to upgrade for spec bumps. It's really the iPad to get if you're looking for longevity.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
I was just going to post a similar thread asking people what features would make them purchase an iPad Air 3. The Air 2 was such a magnificent update that I think it would be hard to beat. This tablet could easily be the one I keep for several years. However, Apple has a way of adding at least one killer feature that makes me want to upgrade. With the Air 2, they got me for a few reasons. The drastic reduction in thinness and lightness, the super fast CPU, and fingerprint scanner.

Some things that an Air 3 might need to have to make me want to upgrade: Removal of the physical home button and make the whole device a screen. With force touch technology, they could possibly make it so that a "hard press" in a general aread would wake up the iPad. Haptic feedback would also greatly enhance user interaction. It's hard to believe that they could go thinner and lighter, but reducing those things would surely make a new generation a must have. I am reminded of the iPhone depicted in the British TV show Dark Mirror where the device is almost paper thin and is a translucent piece of glass.

Being a media device, I'd like to see the iPad have better speakers. Perhaps front facing stereo speakers like on the Nexus 10.

I'd also like to see more of the surface area of the iPad be screen so there is less border.
To you and the guy below i agree that its an awesome device but you never have too much battery life and the air 2 is a bit lacking. The speakers don't bother me cause im a headphone guy but they do vibrate and annoy some.

----------

I just hope it is not thinner. Give us more battery but please Apple, thin enough!:apple:

this, wouldn't find thicker for more battery.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

These for sure. Really the shot in the arm iPad needs.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
My personal prediction is: Its gonna be even more thinner and lighter but will have issues. It wouldn't surprise me if pops too.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Apple's likely to go conservative as they often do.

With their watch consuming time and focus I don't expect much in the iPad space this next release. The market being soft doesn't encourage a big upgrade either.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Apple's likely to go conservative as they often do.

With their watch consuming time and focus I don't expect much in the iPad space this next release. The market being soft doesn't encourage a big upgrade either.

Yep, that's the likely scenario. If they did a quick refresh it certainly wouldn't involve rectifying the vibration problem which is all I care about. If they fix that, I'm IN. Otherwise, my Air works great. :)

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Haptic feedback is something I would FINALLY like to see. I mean actually feeling a surface of a button etc there instead of just flat glass. There's demos of the tech on YouTube from several years ago yet nothing has surfaced in real devices. Either it can't be crammed into a small enough space yet or made cheap enough.

The force touch thing isn't really all that different from the holding a finger down for a moment (as that is essentially what happens when you press harder).

Currently the Air 2 is pretty fast and has an acceptable amount of RAM so the upgrades would have to come in actual design of the device or how it is used. If the "two apps on same screen" feature arrives in iOS 9 it will be interesting to see how the current tablets will handle that.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Somehow Im not expecting big changes with ipad air 3. iPad Air 2 is a big jump from iPad Air 2 in term of performance with those processor & memory increase.

I gotta agree with some of the people here that the attention now is more on Apple Watch and iPad's sales has been declining thus giving less incentive to focus on it. I don't think haptic feedback will even be implemented on iPad, probably on iPhone.

I just hope they could sufficiently upgrade the processor & graphics and give better casing which does not vibrate vigorously.

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
Haptic feedback ( a really revolution for experience in gaming and controlling many pro apps like the djs one and some other cool stuff in my opinion)
Wacom digitizer or something like that from Apple ( stylus sold separately: work with ipad air 3 and ipad pro)
Much better battery life thanks to oled screen ( a flexible retina like jony said in apple watch... "an all new technology " like you can read in an interview: when they speak in this manner they are trying to make you think that this is the right way... like from iphone 5 to iphone 6 plus :D) Haptic feedback also probably necessitate from oled screen (I think that tiny electrode are embeeded in the oled screen of the apple watch, but only time could tell). Tab s already have the best on the market screen....
Finally more screen/surface ratio with reduction of bezels and in thickness ( I think around 5.5 mm or a little less like the rumored new galaxy tab s
and of corse all the enhancement to processor speed and memory (not a size bump I think, maybe only a 256 gb option)
New form factor like iPhone ( a really big soap bar)
iPad is stagnating and Apple need to make something cool to incentivate sales

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.