Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
Before I bought the MacBook Air, I joined this forum to research it. See what others had to say about it, ask questions, etc. So, naturally I ended up visiting the MBA threads compulsively and habitually. I don't usually leave said thread. I just answer questions, help troubleshoot, tell people to stop arguing about RAM, etc.

Then, when MacRumors posted about the Apple Watch and its battery life expectancy, I decided to post. Most of the people in the MBA threads are pretty harmless. Some of them are... dare I say it, bad apples? But it's generally not a toxic atmosphere.

I posted something along the lines of: Man, I think battery life quote sucks. They should have done something better. It would be cool if they had a means to recharge the device on the go... like shake to charge!

Oh boy.
I have 17 replies.

To clarify, when I mentioned that 'shake to charge', I wasn't suggesting that they start making people shake their arms just to charge up the watch. I was saying, that was something they did, and it was smart and I thought maybe it would be cool if Apple did something LIKE that.

So, what did people say to me?
- Jokes about shaking wrist under table in public being a bad idea
- Jokes about Tim Cook furiously shaking his wrist on stage
- People telling me that Apple is smart, but they can't change physics ROFL
- It's simple physics, you dumb
- Apple is perfect and I'm just a dumb idiot who doesn't know as much as Apple so I should keep my mouth shut

Sheesh. Is that MacRumors? Because this is a side of MacRumors I do not like. I'm almost certain to face backlash on this post, but I'm really hoping that some people can assure me that maybe those were just 'Front Page posters' who notoriously scan for anti-Apple and must all gang up on said person and tell them how inferior and stupid they are, and mock them.

Also, as an aside, how is 5 hours of battery life good?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I think its the community members. They are just awful. Most of the time its the "Im right, you're wrong" attitude from everyone, instead of objectivity and being useful. I've gotten to a point where if Im quoted, I don't even bother reading it since 95% of the time its just flaming.

In regard to the 5 hour battery life, if you are referring to the watch, I personally don't see it as good. Id want something that lasts me all day/as long as my phone lasts. I don't see the value of a tool with very limited battery life. That being said, I am an apple fanboy, and I will buy the lowest-end model to test it out and determine its practical uses in my life (if any).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Before I bought the MacBook Air, I joined this forum to research it. See what others had to say about it, ask questions, etc. So, naturally I ended up visiting the MBA threads compulsively and habitually. I don't usually leave said thread. I just answer questions, help troubleshoot, tell people to stop arguing about RAM, etc.

Then, when MacRumors posted about the Apple Watch and its battery life expectancy, I decided to post. Most of the people in the MBA threads are pretty harmless. Some of them are... dare I say it, bad apples? But it's generally not a toxic atmosphere.

I posted something along the lines of: Man, I think battery life quote sucks. They should have done something better. It would be cool if they had a means to recharge the device on the go... like shake to charge!

Oh boy.
I have 17 replies.

To clarify, when I mentioned that 'shake to charge', I wasn't suggesting that they start making people shake their arms just to charge up the watch. I was saying, that was something they did, and it was smart and I thought maybe it would be cool if Apple did something LIKE that.

So, what did people say to me?
- Jokes about shaking wrist under table in public being a bad idea
- Jokes about Tim Cook furiously shaking his wrist on stage
- People telling me that Apple is smart, but they can't change physics ROFL
- It's simple physics, you dumb
- Apple is perfect and I'm just a dumb idiot who doesn't know as much as Apple so I should keep my mouth shut

Sheesh. Is that MacRumors? Because this is a side of MacRumors I do not like. I'm almost certain to face backlash on this post, but I'm really hoping that some people can assure me that maybe those were just 'Front Page posters' who notoriously scan for anti-Apple and must all gang up on said person and tell them how inferior and stupid they are, and mock them.

Three things occur to me, when putting together a reply to your post.

1) The first, obviously, is your thread title. As is sometimes the case, the thread title and the content of the OP's post do not exactly coincide.

In fact, the thread title - do you really hate most members on the forum - (and no, it is not alright that you do; 'hate' is an unusually strong verb; I'd think about toning it down, and changing the entire direction of the emotion expressed). Actually, your thread title is somewhat reminiscent of a wild scream for attention. Personally, I'd recommend that you consider revising it, because the mere title as currently written invites a torrent of abuse, the mildest of which would be sometime along the lines of 'if you don't like it here feel free to check out'.

2) This is a forum dedicated to Apple products and something vaguely resembling a cult has arisen over discussion of the founder and his products. Personally, as I have doubts about deifying anyone, and willingly suspending all of my critical faculties, I find it both distasteful and disturbing. However, it is perfectly possible to greatly enjoy, and use, Apple products without feeling the need to worship the founder, his products and the company.

3). How old is your MBA? This may have some bearing on battery life. My 2010 MBA gave barely three hours; a 2012 11" MBA that I bought briefly as a stop-gap was good for five; my 2013 MBA can be guaranteed for around eight or more.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
There's absolutely nothing to talk about when it comes to the Apple Watch. Most of the people in there are just bored. There are better discussions to partake in around here than nitpicking over someone's opinion on something that hasn't shipped.

Apple already has shake to shuffle music. I could see them reusing that idea for the same thing. You wouldn't do that for a long period of time to recharge a device (my carpel tunnel wouldn't let me anyway. :eek:). Someone is bound to come up with a small battery pack for it that just clips onto the side so you can use it while it charges.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My bad. Hadn't spotted that the OP was writing about the iWatch rather than the MBA.
However, my argument stands; the thread title is utter hyperbole. It is not okay to "hate most members" simply because they react perhaps, slightly hysterically, to a criticism of an Apple product.

Just as their defensive and protective emotions about Apple are excessive and wildly expressed, yours in composing this as a thread title is an equally unbalanced overreaction.

Last edited:

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
Three things occur to me, when putting together a reply to your post.

1) The first, obviously, is your thread title. As is sometimes the case, the thread title and the content of the OP's post do not exactly coincide.

In fact, the thread title - do you really hate most members on the forum - (and no, it is not alright that you do; 'hate' is an unusually strong verb; I'd think about toning it down, and changing the entire direction of the emotion expressed). Actually, your thread title is somewhat reminiscent of a wild scream for attention. Personally, I'd recommend that you consider revising it, because the mere title as currently written invites a torrent of abuse, the mildest of which would be sometime along the lines of 'if you don't like it here feel free to check out'.

2) This is a forum dedicated to Apple products and something vaguely resembling a cult has arisen over discussion of the founder and his products. Personally, as I have doubts about deifying anyone, and willingly suspending all of my critical faculties, I find it both distasteful and disturbing. However, it is perfectly possible to greatly enjoy, and use, Apple products without feeling the need to worship the founder, his products and the company.

3). How old is your MBA? This may have some bearing on battery life. My 2010 MBA gave barely three hours; a 2012 11" MBA that I bought briefly as a stop-gap was good for five; my 2013 MBA can be guaranteed for around eight or more.

Erm, the title was meant to be controversial really. It was meant to arose attention so that people would be moved to reply... not because I have some deep psychological need for attention. Assuming such things on a forums is a bit much, don't you think?

Also, the battery life has nothing to do with the MBA... I'm talking about the Apple Watch.. but then again, it suspiciously looks like you didn't really read the post so I guess I've wasted my time writing even this.

In essence, I created that title as 'clickbait'.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Maybe the replies were partly due to your language/attitude, or how you formulated your point/s. Agree with others, you can't really declare you hate most members and then claim the high ground courting sympathy or moral support.

I actually agree re the watch, it is really limited based on the "reported" battery life which would be a deal breaker for me personally.

Didn't you previously also have a signature along the lines saying how you'd been there and done it all and "did know" more than others? Not really the most friendly and none confrontational thing to say. Kinda a pattern...

That said, having replied to this topic rather than just ignoring it, i'm left feeling I'm no better. :confused:

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Erm, the title was meant to be controversial really.
And you're complaining about people's response? I'm serious if you purposely create a controversial thread (or title) don't be surprised if you draw negative responses.

if you wanted to discuss the battery then you could have posed the title of the thread that would be conducive to a discussion instead of coming out swinging so negatively on a product that isn't out there yet.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Erm, the title was meant to be controversial really. It was meant to arose attention so that people would be moved to reply... not because I have some deep psychological need for attention. Assuming such things on a forums is a bit much, don't you think?

Also, the battery life has nothing to do with the MBA... I'm talking about the Apple Watch.. but then again, it suspiciously looks like you didn't really read the post so I guess I've wasted my time writing even this.

And - in my subsequent response - I pointed out that I realised that you were not discussing the MBA, but the iWatch, a product I don't know the first thing about, save for the fact that I am not certain that it has yet been released.

However, my point stands. Your thread title is deliberately confrontational.

Nevertheless, if your title was intended as 'click bait' don't be surprised if some of the responses bite in return; a thread title phrased the way you phrased this one gives the impression that you want to discuss how much you 'hate' MR members, rather than a discussion on possible flaws in an Apple product.

Post a more relevant thread title and take a less confrontational tone in your posts, and you might receive thoughtful replies in return.

The thing is, posts often mirror what has already been written, in tone and content.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm not sure you can truly hate somebody on a forum. To form such a strong emotional response you need to have been seriously wronged by someone. I can only think of one person I could truly say that I hate. A vindictive person that did a lot of harm to my family. Not someone who just flamed me for slating a product on a forum.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Is it okay that you hate most of our members?

It isn't prohibited in the FAQ, so go for it, pal! Dream big, and one day you may even hate us all! A wide world of loathing awaits you, and this is just the first day of the rest of your journey. In some ways, I envy you, but if you ever need assistance or tips regarding how to hate certain people, I'm always here to help. :)

FYI, the final four people you must hate are the hardest. They all have level 50+ personalities and are extremely kind without being smothering, so I'd recommend training by hating small, fluffy things. They're also weak to electricity. Most of us are.

Last edited:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Like most online forums these days, this one has its share of incivility. I try my best to stay above the fray, although it's sometimes difficult when another member responds to one of my posts rudely. Compared to other forums that I frequent, however, this one is well-moderated and organized, so threads like this one have their place.

As for the title, I admit that I clicked out of curiosity, knowing that it was hyperbolic — after all, how could one user have interacted with even a simple majority of members sufficiently to have developed such a strong negative opinion of them? I can't say that I "hate" anyone I've connected with here, though there are certainly some whose attitude and/or opinions have dissuaded me from further interaction.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Members on here are always looking for clever ways of expressing their opinion and attacking those with a different opinion, just like any internet forum or comments section. If it bothers you just ignore it.

5 hours of battery life is good. Too bad the Watch itself is just an excuse to sell you another device ;)

Last edited:

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
Wow, I don't think people understand what I meant... but then again, I don't even know why I posted this anyways...
Oh, forget it.

MCSN

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
Kayenta
its actually a great idea. i was hoping for something along the lines of a solar panel sleeve, or a solar tie that charges. but shaking would work.

if macrumors was a patent notice, maybe you'll get a check from apple and put all those peanuts in the gallery back into your favor

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
People with the cloak of anonymity are usually dicks.

I've been called that in real life so some of us don't need the cloak of anonymity. I've lived through the great systemd war that has ravaged the Linux world for the last 18 months or so, there was much heated debate and character assassination going on across the Linux forums and various social media outlets. The key is there was technical and philosophical debate as well with the change it wasn't just constant snark. I've said it before this place is full of snark yet the technical debate doesn't seem to happen, I don't know why but could probably make some guesses. While the OP was confrontational and probably got a bit of comeuppance it really doesn't change the fact that this place seems to be on top of snark hill. You can call me sharp as a bowling ball but you need to tell me why I'm sharp as a bowling ball the why is what seems to be lacking.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Wow, I don't think people understand what I meant... but then again, I don't even know why I posted this anyways...
Oh, forget it.

What did you mean? Did you mean to discuss the iWatch (and the possible shortcomings of this device) or did you want people to pay attention to your thread with the deliberate use of a provocative and attention grabbing title which had little to do with what you really wished to discuss?

More to the point, why not write what you mean, rather than what you know you will get a reaction from?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
People with the cloak of anonymity are usually dicks.

If I would write my comments like I speak in real life I'd be banned within 24 hours.

Yes, but in real life when you express yourself verbally, you are usually talking to someone, and that selfsame someone has the option to respond (with words, with gestures……with…..other responses) to your face, knowing who and what they are responding to. This alters the dynamic of the exchange.

For one thing, people tend to curb what they may wish to say (or how they may choose to express it) precisely because there may be consequences which they may have to face.

Online, you don't face those whom you traduce, of offend, or insult, if that is how the communication takes place; indeed, apart from your online identity, they don't even know you. You are masked by the cloaking device of your avatar.

In turn, this allows for a form and tone of online communication to take place where inhibitions to be dispensed with, and a rash boldness, akin to some form of Dutch courage, whereby manners are discarded and other peoples' personal boundaries disrespected becomes normalised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.