Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
FYI, Apple pushed out a security-related to the 3rd-Gen ATVs this afternoon.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204426

Seems like they also improved AirPlay with that update, maybe it is in combination with iOS 8.2
AirPlay when apple TV is sleeping seems to work properly again and it also starts air playing very fast like it used to. I had some problems with that and so far both issues seem gone.
However I do still get the cut outs where AirPlay just completely stops, as if my router was turned off. Happens like once every 2 days or so and it already happened once since I updated.

apollomarv

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
Apple completely revamped the BT stack with iOS 8.2, to better support the watch. Maybe that's helped out Airplay :)

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Seems like they also improved AirPlay with that update, maybe it is in combination with iOS 8.2
AirPlay when apple TV is sleeping seems to work properly again and it also starts air playing very fast like it used to. I had some problems with that and so far both issues seem gone.
However I do still get the cut outs where AirPlay just completely stops, as if my router was turned off. Happens like once every 2 days or so and it already happened once since I updated.
Great update, indeed.

I can also confirm that finally, the wake-up from sleep bug is fixed and also that the AppleTV seems to react more quickly over WiFi, it instantly starts to play when you start AirPlay.

Like you stated already, these changes really need iOS 8.2 on iPhone/iPad, too, because I have tested with an updated Apple TV first and iPhone still on 8.1.3 and there wasn't any change. Seems that the introduced bugs weren't actually in AppleTV firmware, but in iOS from the very beginning.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Great update, indeed.

I can also confirm that finally, the wake-up from sleep bug is fixed and also that the AppleTV seems to react more quickly over WiFi, it instantly starts to play when you start AirPlay.

Like you stated already, these changes really need iOS 8.2 on iPhone/iPad, too, because I have tested with an updated Apple TV first and iPhone still on 8.1.3 and there wasn't any change. Seems that the introduced bugs weren't actually in AppleTV firmware, but in iOS from the very beginning.

Interesting in regards to it being ios 8.2, I thought it might be.
Need to test with OS X 10.10.2 because I had the same issues there.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Interesting, I installed the update this morning and apparently the movies/TV section of the iTunes store is having problems. The ATV can't connect to it, the iTunes app on my iPhone crashes whenever I try to access the movie section and from my MBP I can only bring up a few sections of the Movies homepage.

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
I really hope that's the end of the wake from sleep issues. As much as clicking the remote first isn't that time consuming it was a bit of a pain, especially since my remote likes to disappear between the couch cushions.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Great update, indeed.

I have done some more testing. Wake for sleep seems fine like I said, had no issues so far. Playing YouTube etc also works very fast again. However I have still issues with iTunes cloud music (songs not saved on device) not playing reliably on the Apple tv. They either take ages to start playing or their just never play when AirPlay is on. Once they play tho it seems to be working fine but getting there is still iffy. Will check OS X tonight but I pressume we have to wait until 10.10.3 for the fixes there.

----------

I really hope that's the end of the wake from sleep issues. As much as clicking the remote first isn't that time consuming it was a bit of a pain, especially since my remote likes to disappear between the couch cushions.

Seems to be fixed for me, at least using iOS 8.2. As someone said above apparently it is iOS related and not the apple tv firmware.
I suppose that means on OS X there still will be the same issues until 10.10.3 is released.

tbradnc

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2013
For the first time ever my ATV comes on without the remote! It's like a miracle!

What a hassle it is keeping up with that little remote. I've often thought of taping it to a 2x4... :)

benrd

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
geat news regarding airplay, mine has been pretty much not working at all.

what is the deal with waking from sleep? I am another whose remote is more often hidden in the couch somewhere and can never wake it from the remote app on my phone!

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
geat news regarding airplay, mine has been pretty much not working at all.

what is the deal with waking from sleep? I am another whose remote is more often hidden in the couch somewhere and can never wake it from the remote app on my phone!

The problem is that the Apple TV doesn't wake up when you start to AirPlay like it used to. You therefore have to always turn it on first with the physical remote which is a hassle.
On iOS it was not as bad but it was either really slow to wake or didn't wake the apple tv at all. Since iOS 8.2 this seems to be fixed.
On OS X it was (is) even worse because you either get the damn spinning beachball or you get an error saying "cannot connect to Apple tv" and than the AirPlay symbol would disappear from the task bar. Hopefully 10.10.3 addresses it there. :mad:

----------

For the first time ever my ATV comes on without the remote! It's like a miracle!

What a hassle it is keeping up with that little remote. I've often thought of taping it to a 2x4... :)

Yep, you can tell Apple is scrambling to get iOS as polished as possible for the apple watch launch.
Like iOS 8.3 beta final address the UI glitches (folder corner glitch, AirPlay menu on iPads etc), adds new emojis and new Siri voices & languages.
They cannot afford to have any serious pairing, syncing, iCloud or polish issues when the watch launches. It seems they also are closely listening to the complaints that iOS 6-8 weren't as polished on launch as they should have been. Good times :apple:

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
UPDATE: wake from sleep is still unreliable, just had problems twice waking it. :mad:
Indeed, I had some more time to test today.

For some reason you can wake up the AppleTV just fine and put it to sleep, while it will remember that you have an AppleTV available and then you can wake it up without any problems.

However, after some time, the iPhone seems to forget that you have an AppleTV, where you need your remote again. I don't really get it.

Seems this is still not fixed entirely, at least it not working like with OS version pre-6.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Indeed, I had some more time to test today.

For some reason you can wake up the AppleTV just fine and put it to sleep, while it will remember that you have an AppleTV available and then you can wake it up without any problems.

However, after some time, the iPhone seems to forget that you have an AppleTV, where you need your remote again. I don't really get it.

Seems this is still not fixed entirely, at least it not working like with OS version pre-6.

Yeah, I think with continuity, airdrop, handoff, phone calls and all the other inter-connectivity stuff devices just get confused . That's probably why people also have those wifi issues. Taking a total guess here :D

Ggvfvgbffbf

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Manchester, England
Apple TV 3rd gen here. AirPlay wake from sleep broke with iOS 8. It is now semi-working with 8.2 but it's a pain. It doesn't 'just work'.

I'll pull up control centre and the AirPlay button won't be there. If I do it again it'll usually appear but sometimes I'll have to leave control centre up for 30secs or so for it to 'find' my Apple TV.

I'll then try and stream TuneIn/Spotify but it'll fail to work. The app will try to play but it's as though the ATV refuses the connection and the AirPlay button will disappear from CC. It'll then reappear but often the ATV won't show for selection for another 30 secs. If I try again it'll generally start working. Switching mirroring on usually helps.

So... it's better than iOS 8 where it didn't work at all, but it's a real pain. Oh, for the innocent days of yesteryear with iOS 6 where it worked flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.