Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Wouldn't be the first time Apple got a CPU that's unlisted/tweaked a little from Intel...

1st Gen MacBook Air used a custom package.
P7350 in my Mac mini has VT enabled when it's a "NO" on the spec sheet.

g.j.g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2015
Can't really imagine they overclock the 5Y71, considering the constraints of the design...

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Im looking at these charts..... They said the M chip was Between the intel Atom and Pentium... however from what i know Pentium chips have a 2mb L3 Cache.. so does this chip compare to an intel I3?

g.j.g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2015
As far as I know it compares to Haswell on cpu level. GPU behind a bit. Interesting point is that there is no native 1.3 ghz version, even though apple is advertising it...

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Im looking at these charts..... They said the M chip was Between the intel Atom and Pentium... however from what i know Pentium chips have a 2mb L3 Cache.. so does this chip compare to an intel I3?

This CPU benchmark average chart is just an indication: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+M-5Y71+@+1.20GHz&id=2465

Roughly, and these numbers are hardly real-world usage, the Core M-5Y71 (1.20 GHz) would compare somewhat to a Sandy Bridge i3-M processor.

That's for CPU only stuff tho, the on-die GPU isn't the same, there's also 8 GB of RAM and a very fast SSD to factor in.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
This CPU benchmark average chart is just an indication: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+M-5Y71+@+1.20GHz&id=2465

Roughly, and these numbers are hardly real-world usage, the Core M-5Y71 (1.20 GHz) would compare somewhat to a Sandy Bridge i3-M processor.

That's for CPU only stuff tho, the on-die GPU isn't the same, there's also 8 GB of RAM and a very fast SSD to factor in.

An I3 isn't too bad.. although for the price of that macbook i can get a faster macbook pro... Thanks for helping clear this up. I think the new Macbook is a beautiful creation and design, but its just not the right tool for me.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It's the 5y71. Look at the chips specs you'll see the base and operating freq are selectable by the vendor.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1854285/

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I wonder if 1.3GHz option will be available at Apple Stores on launch day.. or is it only orderable online.

Anyone has any idea?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
If it follows usual practise they'll have a handful with the RAM and Storage upgrades. If you want just the CPU then it's a website BTO.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
If it follows usual practise they'll have a handful with the RAM and Storage upgrades. If you want just the CPU then it's a website BTO.

Well, there are no RAM options - they all come with 8GB. It's just basically different SSD and different CPU options.

Soordhin

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Berlin, Germany
I wonder if 1.3GHz option will be available at Apple Stores on launch day.. or is it only orderable online.

At least according to the german apple site the 1,3GHz option will only be available through the apple online store.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
At least according to the german apple site the 1,3GHz option will only be available through the apple online store.

The U.S. Apple site says the same...

"Configure to Order

Configure your MacBook to order with this option, only at the Apple Online Store.
1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache"

(http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/, toward the bottom of the page...)

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
The U.S. Apple site says the same...

"Configure to Order

Configure your MacBook to order with this option, only at the Apple Online Store.
1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache"

(http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/, toward the bottom of the page...)

No point in waiting in line, then. I wonder how many extra weeks we will have to wait for our 1.3GHz version to arrive.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
No point in waiting in line, then. I wonder how many extra weeks we will have to wait for our 1.3GHz version to arrive.

I'd guess a max of 1 week. It's never taken more than 1 week for a BTO Mac to get to me from time of order to delivery at my door. So I'm expecting to have my rMB by April 17th or so.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I'd guess a max of 1 week. It's never taken more than 1 week for a BTO Mac to get to me from time of order to delivery at my door. So I'm expecting to have my rMB by April 17th or so.

That is going to be one long week!

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Ha, not as long as it has been from March 10th til now! At least I have my 13" rMBP for now, but I'm looking forward to having an even smaller machine since I travel so much.

Very true! April 10th is still a long way away.

Coming from a 13" rMBP, you will see a major reduction in size and weight. I have the 128G 11" MBA and, thus, my new computer won't be that much smaller (though it should still be probably noticeable). My biggest improvement will be finally getting a retina display and a giant SSD. I can't wait!

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Darn, I was hoping to either order from Amazon to use my trade-in credit or BH Photo since I wouldn't have to pay tax. If I'm forced to order from Apple for the 1.3ghz top model, it would be nice to be able to pick it up from the store and not have to wait for shipping. For such a simple configuration, it would be great for them to stock it.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Darn, I was hoping to either order from Amazon to use my trade-in credit or BH Photo since I wouldn't have to pay tax. If I'm forced to order from Apple for the 1.3ghz top model, it would be nice to be able to pick it up from the store and not have to wait for shipping. For such a simple configuration, it would be great for them to stock it.

B&H often has the BTO configurations in stock. You may have to wait a few days until they get them, though. But be careful, you can't return it unless it's defective. That may not be worth the tax savings.

Last edited:

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
B&H often has the BTO configurations in stock. You may have to wait a few days until they get them, though. But be careful, you can't return it unless it's defective. That may not be worth the tax savings.

I actually haven't gone through with ordering from BH since I'm still rockin' my 2011 MBA so that's good to know. I would feel safe ordering a MBP since I know what I'm getting but for the new rMB, I'll want to get a good test going to see if it performs up to my standards so I'll probably have to go with the Apple Store to be safe.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
How are you planning to sell your rMBP? eBay? Craigslist? Other?

eBay I guess.

----------

Very true! April 10th is still a long way away.

Coming from a 13" rMBP, you will see a major reduction in size and weight. I have the 128G 11" MBA and, thus, my new computer won't be that much smaller (though it should still be probably noticeable). My biggest improvement will be finally getting a retina display and a giant SSD. I can't wait!

I had the 11" MBA before getting the rMBP. I'm thinking a 12" screen won't be a huge diffference from a 13".

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I actually haven't gone through with ordering from BH since I'm still rockin' my 2011 MBA so that's good to know. I would feel safe ordering a MBP since I know what I'm getting but for the new rMB, I'll want to get a good test going to see if it performs up to my standards so I'll probably have to go with the Apple Store to be safe.

I agree. I feel like it's difficult enough to figure out how all of the new things are going to work that having the hassle-free refund is important. You might hate the keyboard...or the trackpad. It might feel slow for your uses. Who knows what else? Being able to return it feels important to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.