Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Watch has already been spotted within the pages of several fitness and fashion-oriented magazines during the month of March as Apple makes an advertising push ahead of the device's launch, and as of this week, it's also scored a spot on the cover of Fitness Magazine.

On the cover, model Kate Bock wears an Apple Watch Sport with a white fluoroelastomer band. The Apple Watch feature in the magazine is all images, and doesn't offer anything in the way of details as other Apple Watch spots have done. Fitness had initially shared some details about the shoot with MacRumors that were used in this post, but has since asked us to remove the information.

fitnessmagazinecover.jpg
Fitness VP/Brand Development for Shape.com and Fitnessmagazine.com Betty Wong gave MacRumors the following statement on the magazine's collaboration with Apple:
"FITNESS, with our tech-savvy, goal-oriented female audience, is a great partner in helping showcase the Apple Watch. I hope to be able to get my hands on an Apple Watch Sport sample in the coming month and really put it to a sweat test for Fitnessmagazine.com to see how useful it is in helping our readers stay motivated to exercise, keep track of their physical activity, or connect with people and their to-do lists while out for a run.
With the Apple Watch positioned as Apple's first wearable accessory, it's no surprise to learn the company has been carefully curating its image and exercising control over the way it's portrayed in magazines. Apple wants people to see the Apple Watch as fashionable, sporty, and genuinely useful to the average person rather than as something geeky and technical that doesn't belong in the fashion world. Thus far, Apple's Apple Watch marketing efforts have been split between posing the Apple Watch as a fashion statement and as a fitness accessory.

On the fitness side, the Apple Watch has been featured in this month's issue of Fitness and it was on the cover of the March issue of Self magazine, on the wrist of Candice Swanepoel. Self did a full feature on the Apple Watch, highlighting its accelerometer, heart rate sensor, and more. Model Christy Turlington has also been promoting the fitness-oriented features of the Apple Watch, both on stage at Apple's March 9 event and on a personal blog on Apple.com. Turlington is using the Apple Watch as she prepares for the London Marathon in April.

On the fashion side, the Apple Watch has been featured in Vogue, Style, East Touch, and YOHO. Late last year, it was on the cover of Vogue China and it was shown off at an exclusive event at Parisian fashion boutique Colette. It will also be featured in a number of high-end exclusive popup shops around the world after it's released.

As the launch of the Apple Watch creeps closer, it's likely the device will continue to appear within an increasing number of magazines and newspapers as Apple attempts to market the device to a wide range of potential customers. The Apple Watch will be available beginning on April 24, but it will be available for pre-order and in-store try ons starting on April 10.

Update 5:21 PM PT: This post has been updated and revised at the request of Fitness.

Article Link: Fitness Magazine Shares Behind-the-Scenes Details on New Apple Watch Cover

jaconrad15

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I want to know how accurate the distance will be without toting around my iPhone while running.

jamescobalt

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Boston, MA
I didn't notice the watch because I was distracted by what a poor photoshop job they did.

This is what happens when you work in design. Though not as bad as her photos for Sports Illustrated. Those were embarrassing. Her skin looked like rubber.

Last edited:

Tiltasauras

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2015
Baltimore
Um, she's wearing it backwards. The crown is on the inside of her forearm (should be on the outside but flipped with button for lefties). Guess they wanted the crown in the shot.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Um, she's wearing it backwards. The crown is on the inside of her forearm (should be on the outside but flipped with button for lefties). Guess they wanted the crown in the shot.

nope, look again

She is. Think about it. The crown is point towards her elbow on her right arm. Now "check the time" as you would with your right arm. - The crown is now pointing towards your elbow just like it is in the photo.

Your left hand surely can't use that easily.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
[We] hope to be able to get [our] hands on an Apple Watch Sport sample in the coming month and really put it to a sweat test for Fitnessmagazine.com to see how useful it is in helping our readers stay motivated to exercise, keep track of their physical activity, or connect with people and their to-do lists while out for a run.

Just my personal feeling, but as a lifelong runner, I think a run is the time to disconnect from your electronics, your email, and your to do list. If checking your to-do lists mid-stride is your cup of tea then so be it, but it makes me a little sad.

Fortunately, the :apple:watch won't be able to do much of that at all when taken running anyway, unless an iphone is also present. ;)

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
She is. Think about it. The crown is point towards her elbow on her right arm. Now "check the time" as you would with your right arm. - The crown is now pointing towards your elbow just like it is in the photo.

Your left hand surely can't use that easily.

or the fact she's wearing it on the wrong arm. Watches go on the Left.

Sofabutt

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
It's pretty pathetic how Apple is trying to market their junk as Luxury and Fashionable. Luxury is a fine Swiss watch. Fashionable is not some LCD screen with touch capabilities.

THe watch looks like a hunk of junk. It's clunky, has no inspiration behind it other than the iPhone screen.

Granted it might contain some innovative ways of interacting with a touch device, but that's about as good as it gets.

I'm a die hard Apple fan. I have 8 Airport Extreme routers, 10 Apple Macs of various sorts, three iPads and an iPhone, but this Watch thing makes me want to vomit.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Just my personal feeling, but as a lifelong runner, I think a run is the time to disconnect from your electronics, your email, and your to do list. If checking your to-do lists mid-stride is your cup of tea then so be it, but it makes me a little sad.

I agree and please tell that to the many people who live on their cell phones while at the gym. So ridiculous.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Apple reps were on-set at our cover shoot for the whole day to make sure the watch was photographed well. Then once we made our selects, their creative team helped with the retouching to make sure the face of the watch was lit up and live.

So this is false advertising. The watch screen would not be active in that position.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's pretty pathetic how Apple is trying to market their junk as Luxury and Fashionable. Luxury is a fine Swiss watch. Fashionable is not some LCD screen with touch capabilities.

THe watch looks like a hunk of junk. It's clunky, has no inspiration behind it other than the iPhone screen.

Granted it might contain some innovative ways of interacting with a touch device, but that's about as good as it gets.

I'm a die hard Apple fan. I have 8 Airport Extreme routers, 10 Apple Macs of various sorts, three iPads and an iPhone, but this Watch thing makes me want to vomit.

You'll feel different once you've experienced one.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Thank you so much for posting this. You're very entitled to your opinion as I have my own opinions about the AppleWatch, but I read a few members here said that the ones who trash Apple products with extremely harsh words make certain to post what Apple products they have and state they are die hard Apple fans to validate themselves.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Holy crap

Photoshop.Hurts.Eyes. Seriously, who thought making an attractive woman look like plastic was a good idea? Did no one have to approve that shot?

FYI. Two #3 seed have already gone down to #14 seeds.

Bad shop job is bad.:eek:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
So this is false advertising. The watch screen would not be active in that position.

It's advertising. Looking for truth in advertising is like looking for diamonds in a bag of charcoal. It's a waste of time. Images simulated, actions not real time, closed course - professional driver, price advertised is base model - vehicle shown is top of the line trim.

Advertisers are trying to sell products. It's what they do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.