Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodmove

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Sunrise, FL USA
I have rarely posted to this forum in the 7 years I have been a member, and I have never posted a product review until Today. But people need to know how amazing this tiny machine really is for MOST people.

Also, I have rarely bought an Apple product at BestBuy, preferring the Apple Store experience, until this week. Now, thanks to BB, I have cancelled my Apple Store order and have been enjoying for the past few days this little "Miracle Machine".

I know some of you will disagree with my perception, but at sixty years of age, and having gone through many, many products, including the Sinclair, TRS-80, Commodore PET, Apple II, Atari 800, the Original IBM PC, the FatMac 512 and countless others, I have never been so enthusiastic about a machine as this one, nor has my productivity been higher!

Here's the review I posted at BestBuy.com:
========================================

"I purchased my first Mac, a FatMac in 1984 and have owned dozens of PC's and Macs since. I can tell you that the WOW factor of craftsmanship, performance, design and workflow usability of this new rMacBook is the best yet. This should meet well over 95% of all computing requirements anyone will ever have, and for 80% of the people, this will be all the computer they will ever need.

I have been using this rMacBook for several days now, and I can tell you that my productivity has gone up significantly over what I was used to with my already amazing 15" Retina MacBookPro, just by virtue of me being able to use it practically anywhere due to it's portability and "fun" factor.

As an Architect, design and functionality are my priorities, and this MacBook combines the best attributes of any machine out there with very little compromises for the average user. The keyboard is out of this world and has -at least perceptually- increased my typing speed. The Trackpad has that "Magic" factor attached to it, and has me actually "clicking" on an Apple trackpad for the first time in years. The battery life is more than adequate and the screen is amazing.

I am thrilled that even my part-time Network Marketing business has shown over a 20% improvement in the few days I've been using this rMacBook as I will find any excuse to "play" with this machine. I actually enjoy following up with my business prospects and look forward to using Skype for cold-calling leads!

By adding BetterTouchTool, iClipboard, BetterSnapTool, EasyRes and OmniFocus 2, this new rMacBook has definitely become my dream machine and a "Productivity Monster" that I carry everywhere with me...

This is the future of computing for most people and I am glad it's finally here!"

:D

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Nice little review. I am thinking that this could be the perfect machine for me, but I am waiting for it to appear in stores first to check it out myself.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
this reviews reads like the Nissan Leaf review.

sure, do I really need to drive more than 130 km per charge? (I won't except for a few times a year), but it's the anxiety of not being able to do so that will prevent me from getting one.

and for that reason, I'm out

nrubenstein

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
Washington, DC

sure, do I really need to drive more than 130 km per charge? (I won't except for a few times a year), but it's the anxiety of not being able to do so that will prevent me from getting one.

Like the Leaf (or in my case, the collection of old BMWs and an air cooled turbo Porsche that my wife and I share), the rMB is a poor purchase for someone who doesn't expect to have an alternate device available when necessary.

If you are shopping for an only machine, I'd say that you are nuts to not get the 13" rMBP.

For me, as a travel alternative to an iPad, this thing is really, really nice. Even better, it comfortably sits on my desk at the office under my second monitor (next to the 27" work iMac - sadly not retina) so that I can do whatever personal work I need without putting my data on a machine that I don't own.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Like the Leaf (or in my case, the collection of old BMWs and an air cooled turbo Porsche that my wife and I share), the rMB is a poor purchase for someone who doesn't expect to have an alternate device available when necessary.

If you are shopping for an only machine, I'd say that you are nuts to not get the 13" rMBP.

For me, as a travel alternative to an iPad, this thing is really, really nice. Even better, it comfortably sits on my desk at the office under my second monitor (next to the 27" work iMac - sadly not retina) so that I can do whatever personal work I need without putting my data on a machine that I don't own.

I'm switching from the 13" rMBP and this will be my only Mac, just like my rMBP was/is. I don't think it's crazy at all.

goodmove

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Sunrise, FL USA

When it comes to the rMacBook, the only analogy I could see to "range anxiety" when it comes to Electric Vehicles, is the presence of only one USB-C port. Then again, for MOST people, this port with one or two of the upcoming adaptors should be all they ever need.

And by the way, I forgot to emphasize, that the rMacBook for everyday use is as snappy as anything out there. I have the 1.2/512 and have not experienced lag or it getting hot under my normal "Getting Things Done" use.

In fact, I cannot do things any faster on my15" rMBP. There really is something special about this keyboard and the trackpad!

Last edited by a moderator:

goodmove

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Sunrise, FL USA
I'm switching from the 13" rMBP and this will be my only Mac, just like my rMBP was/is. I don't think it's crazy at all.

I agree. Now that people's attention span's are so short, my days of using FinalCut or iMovie to edit some video for work are long gone. The rMacBook is more than enough to handle MOST anything for MOST people.

I understand people's reluctance to switch, and if you were going on specs only you'd be justified, but I am very confident that if you take it for an extended "test drive" and spend a few days doing your normal day-to-day workflow, you will find this is more than enough, unless you are a photographer, film editor or in one of the many activities that could justify the use of a Mac Pro.

Time with the rMacBook will tell how right or how wrong we are in our initial perceptions...

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I agree. Now that people's attention span's are so short, my days of using FinalCut or iMovie to edit some video for work are long gone. The rMacBook is more than enough to handle MOST anything for MOST people.

I understand people's reluctance to switch, and if you were going on specs only you'd be justified, but I am very confident that if you take it for an extended "test drive" and spend a few days doing your normal day-to-day workflow, you will find this is more than enough, unless you are a photographer, film editor or in one of the many activities that could justify the use of a Mac Pro.

Time with the rMacBook will tell how right or how wrong we are in our initial perceptions...

I didn't expect to see this as a replacement for my rMBP, but after using it for the last five days I'm beginning to see that this really could work. It's more capable than I had been willing to assume, and the port issue is (or at least will be) manageable.

yano729

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
Also as a previous posted said, I am waiting for mine to be delivered any minute now actually. I too am using this as a 2nd machine to my iMac. I have been waiting a long time for the perfect macbook. I have been using my core 2.0 duo late 2006 blackbook and have never felt the need or want to upgrade until this computer. Not to mention I was so sick of that silver design on all the other laptops, I thought it looked terrible. The love the space grey because it looks like my black book. To all the people who asked for their to be a black color option again, our prayers have been answered and I also upgraded on time because the old macbook thread has been taken over by the new macbook!

Last edited by a moderator:

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Interesting you mention the Nissan Leaf. I would have bought one had it not been for range anxiety. That is why I drive a BMW i3 REX, which helped eliminate my range anxiety, as long as there's a gas station every 60 miles. For longer trips, I use either the Prius or my C250...

When it comes to the rMacBook, the only analogy I could see to "range anxiety" when it comes to Electric Vehicles, is the presence of only one USB-C port. Then again, for MOST people, this port with one or two of the upcoming adaptors should be all they ever need.

And by the way, I forgot to emphasize, that the rMacBook for everyday use is as snappy as anything out there. I have the 1.2/512 and have not experienced lag or it getting hot under my normal "Getting Things Done" use.

In fact, I cannot do things any faster on my15" rMBP. There really is something special about this keyboard and the trackpad!

true, but I pay premium for how light it is. but if I have to pack 1 or 2 adaptors, that kinda defeats the purchase. :(

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
This machine would have been the perfect laptop of all time if it had just two items:

1. MagSafe charging port.
2. Just one USB port.

But, it's still an amazing machine.

goodmove

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Sunrise, FL USA
true, but I pay premium for how light it is. but if I have to pack 1 or 2 adaptors, that kinda defeats the purchase. :(

Possibly. It just depends on the meaning of the word "kinda" and the interpretation each person gives to it and what they are willing to sacrifice for what it means to them.

Look at what is happening with the introduction of color options on the rMB. It makes no difference functionally, yet many were willing to sacrifice having the machine right away for getting the color that was important to them.

Undoubtedly, carrying the adaptors is really, really annoying. But I would rather carry the rMB and the adaptor, over my rMBP. Come to think of it, the only things I ever plug into my laptop are either USB sticks, an external hard drive, an USB mike, and a one time setup for my SnapScan scanner. So I picture the adaptors as being part of those other peripherals, which MOST people rarely use.

Rather than going on with what is a real issue for many. What do you think an ideal number of ports would be? From looking at the design of the rMB - on the outside only, I can only see the possibility of eliminating the earphone input and replacing it with another USB-C port. Would that be enough for most people? Would the loss of the earphones be a big deal for most people?

Life is full of compromises, and that is why so many products are a failure. Although in the case of the rMB, what some consider big compromises, will not lead to a failed product, it will just as you have said, drive them to alternative products for those occasions, the compromise outweighs the benefits.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I'd love to get the new MacBook, but for what I do and the cost of the machine, it would make more sense for me to get a 13" rMBP then the rMB. Plus I would need the money to buy a new machine which I don't have at this time.

My 2011 13" MBP benchmarks about the same as the 1.2GHz model and its still a pretty fast machine. I can imagine the rMB being good enough for blogging and general web browsing. The keyboard would take some getting used to (I got to use it in store) but I don't think I would have any problem with it.

glenb2

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Thanks for writing this, and I agree wholeheartedly. Most negativity is coming from people that don't actually own the machine. Simply put, it's a solid machine, more than capable of most tasks like you said. The dongle issue is overblown. I prefer the extra internal room being filled with battery over rarely used ports. Can't get around physics...legacy USB and HDMI are too thick for this machine.

I have rarely posted to this forum in the 7 years I have been a member, and I have never posted a product review until Today. But people need to know how amazing this tiny machine really is for MOST people.

Also, I have rarely bought an Apple product at BestBuy, preferring the Apple Store experience, until this week. Now, thanks to BB, I have cancelled my Apple Store order and have been enjoying for the past few days this little "Miracle Machine".

I know some of you will disagree with my perception, but at sixty years of age, and having gone through many, many products, including the Sinclair, TRS-80, Commodore PET, Apple II, Atari 800, the Original IBM PC, the FatMac 512 and countless others, I have never been so enthusiastic about a machine as this one, nor has my productivity been higher!

Here's the review I posted at BestBuy.com:
========================================

"I purchased my first Mac, a FatMac in 1984 and have owned dozens of PC's and Macs since. I can tell you that the WOW factor of craftsmanship, performance, design and workflow usability of this new rMacBook is the best yet. This should meet well over 95% of all computing requirements anyone will ever have, and for 80% of the people, this will be all the computer they will ever need.

I have been using this rMacBook for several days now, and I can tell you that my productivity has gone up significantly over what I was used to with my already amazing 15" Retina MacBookPro, just by virtue of me being able to use it practically anywhere due to it's portability and "fun" factor.

As an Architect, design and functionality are my priorities, and this MacBook combines the best attributes of any machine out there with very little compromises for the average user. The keyboard is out of this world and has -at least perceptually- increased my typing speed. The Trackpad has that "Magic" factor attached to it, and has me actually "clicking" on an Apple trackpad for the first time in years. The battery life is more than adequate and the screen is amazing.

I am thrilled that even my part-time Network Marketing business has shown over a 20% improvement in the few days I've been using this rMacBook as I will find any excuse to "play" with this machine. I actually enjoy following up with my business prospects and look forward to using Skype for cold-calling leads!

By adding BetterTouchTool, iClipboard, BetterSnapTool, EasyRes and OmniFocus 2, this new rMacBook has definitely become my dream machine and a "Productivity Monster" that I carry everywhere with me...

This is the future of computing for most people and I am glad it's finally here!"

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
For all those posting about electric cars and range anxiety, Tesla is the answer. Yes I know they are pricey, but when model 3 comes out all your range anxiety will be gone. Also as a previous posted said, I am waiting for mine to be delivered any minute now actually. I too am using this as a 2nd machine to my iMac. I have been waiting a long time for the perfect macbook. I have been using my core 2.0 duo late 2006 blackbook and have never felt the need or want to upgrade until this computer. Not to mention I was so sick of that silver design on all the other laptops, I thought it looked terrible. The love the space grey because it looks like my black book. To all the people who asked for their to be a black color option again, our prayers have been answered and I also upgraded on time because the old macbook thread has been taken over by the new macbook!

Same. Been using a white early 2008 MB and only last year did I start to contemplate an upgrade amidst some very poor battery charge retention. I was unable to decide between the portability of an air and the retina screen of the pro; the moment the murmors of an Air retina option started getting lowder I decided to wait so as not to compromise on one of the two features. I would have been very happy with an air retina but I was pleasantly surprised to see a complete redesign.

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014

You're out not because of any potential "shortcomings" from the rMB itself, but because you couldn't wait.

Your thread: I gave up... :(

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am having an opposite experience. I apparently need the macbook pro power. I didn't think I did, but 5 or 6 spaces and a few programs, and I really feel the machine lag. Also, I love the keyboard when I am using it, but then when I go back the rMBP keyboard I love my pro keyboard even more.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I saw these beauties in my Apple Store and if there was anyway to justify a laptop purchase I would be all over the rMB. It's a thing of beauty. An engineering marvel. Based on my short time with it and the spec sheet I also believe it would meet my needs power wise and be a dream to carry around.

Now just to justify this to the wife....

----------

As a Architect don't you find the 480p Web Cam a disappointment? Talking to client's via FaceTime at 480p is perfection?

They see you in 480p. You see them in all their retina glory.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Now just to justify this to the wife...

What she doesn't know can't hurt her, it's stealthy footprint can get you at-least a few months without detection. Maybe that's how Apple should market it: "So thin, your spouse won't even notice you bought it!"

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.