Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I guess most of us are here because we were early on the iphone bandwagon, but since picked up other phones. So a comment in amother thread got me thinking about the first time I tried something other than an iphone.

My first iphone was the 3g and it was awesome..my second phone at the time was a raze 2, but when the time came that was upgraded to a pre plus.. webos is was a kiler, too bad what hapened, stupid appthicker. My first android phone after that was a Moto atrix, loved that phone, warts and all.

What about you? What was the first phone you got post iphone?

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
My first smart phone was the iphone 4S. I kept it for two years and switched to the Samsung Galaxy S4. Great specs and screen but too much bloat from Samsung and AT&T. I'm going back to an iphone when my contract expires in November.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
It started off with Nokia N82 first before iPhone. Then I used iPhone 2G and iPhone 4 for three years from Nov 2008 to 20011.

I say 2011 were baby steps into something else.

Palm Pixi Plus
Nexus One
Samsung Focus
Cherry Mobile Flare
Back to Nexus One
HTC One M7
Xiaomi Mi 3
Nokia Lumia 635
Sharp Aquos Crystal

I didn't really move away from iPhone until 2013 when I uninstalled that CPU crippling software called iTunes.

My next phone will still be Android but I do use iPhone 5 as third stringer for the time being. So I never really leave iOS but it isn't my daily driver like it was over half a decade ago. But right now, after getting the ASUS Transformer Book T100 and Toshiba Canvio Slim hard drive, I have no interest in another phone since those two are perfect for each other to transfer all my videos via my Xiaomi with TubeMate. I want maybe a Sony PlayStation 4. Get myself back into console gaming.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I seem to float around and I like to try different phones. I guess the first non iPhone I got (after buying an iPhone, I had a blackberry before the iPhone), was the Nexus One., since then I've flipped flopped between Android, iOS and now even Windows.

I'm currently on an iPhone 6 plus but I picked up a Lumia as a family phone for my kids to use from time to time. It lets me play with that OS, and have a phone for the kids in case of an emergency.

bearboy

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Chi-town
I moved to Android after the 4S, so sometime in 2011 I believe (had the original iPhone then the 3G and 4). Before those I had a Palm Treo 680.

My first Android phone was the HTC EVO 4G. Then the Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, now a Note 4. If the iPhone 6s or whatever Apple decides to call it has a decent spec bump I may jump back but I'm pretty content with Android.

I still use an iPad since I've never really found an Android tablet aside to the previous Nexus 7" tablets that I liked.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
My current android streak began last year with the S5, Note 4, and S6

The last iPhone I owned for any extended period of time was the iPhone 5S.

As for why, I just don't think Apple's product offerings are all that interesting currently. I tried going back to Apple with the iPhone 6, but it was just lacking in so many ways I just decided to stick with my S5.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
IPhone 3G was my last iPhone and I went to the Nexus-One and didn't look back, until just recently, I picked up the iPhone 6 Plus at the new year, and I Jailbreaked it immediately, and I tried so hard to get used to it, and like it, but I am now on a Nexus 6 and sold the 6 Plus.

The iPhone 6 Plus is a great phone, with insane battery life, but iOS just isn't for me anymore, too limited and very little customization, I felt handcuffed using the iPhone 6 Plus.

Now I am loving my rooted and ROM'd Nexus 6, only issue is, its a hair too large. I do think 5.5" screen size is the sweet spot.

Between the iPhone 3G and iPhone 6 Plus, I have owned 13 different Android flagship phones in the span of the last 5 to 6 years. I am just too comfortable with the custom Android OS. To me iOS is too limited and boring.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
First smartphone was a BB; I was with them for 4 years. I decided to move on to a different platform after playing with flagships from Samsung, HTC and Apple, iphone it was. (of course it helps that almost the whole family, and most friends are on iphone).

Iphone 6 came out, went back to look at Samsumg/HTC. Bought an iphone 6. Yesterday went to look at an S6; thought it was a nice device, but that's where it ended.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I was the consummate Apple fan. I had every iPhone there was. I had just about every Apple product there was. Desktops laptops time capsules you name it I had it. When the rose colored glass came off was when the iPhone 4 was released. That's when they released iphones in June. I waited 4 hours in 90 degree Arizona heat to get the iPhone 4. Got the phone walked around the corner to call my friends. Service would drop every time. Turned out to was AntennaGate . The carrier and the Apple people treated me like I was doing something wrong. I could show them how you hold the phone and it loses service. Yet somehow it was my fault. I asked for a replacement only to be told by Apple store mangers that the all were that way. But they gave away free bumpers for a problem that didn't exist.
That experience led me to trying Android.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I first tried Android on a Galaxy Nexus about 3 years ago. The Nexus One and Nexus S had preiously caught my eye but the Galaxy Nexus was the first phone that I thought was truly a counterpart to the iPhone. It offered a substantially larger display with very good resolution and the recently released Jellybean was being touted as a substantially improved version of Android, offering performance comparable to iOS thanks to Project Butter. I also only wanted an unlocked device running stock Android.

I liked the GNex, found Android to be an eye-opening experience that certainly took some time to adjust to but was nice. I found that hardware to not quite be the equal of the iPhone however. I spent the better part of the next year and a half living almost exclusively on Android (Nexus 4, Note II, HTC One M7) before moving back to the iPhone with the 5S. I still keep a toe in the Android waters but don't necessarily rely on it day-to-day presently. My 6+ meets all of my needs and then some for the time being.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Started with blackberry curve, then iPhone 4, now currently on gs4 gpe

I still use iPad air daily and iPhone 4 as a music machine for my son/ backup phone

I could go either way on next phone, but I'm happy for now.

I like how some android devices are like pcs , complete freedom for the user

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I like how some android devices are like pcs , complete freedom for the user

^^ this. Had a 3Gs and a 4s and finally got tired of Apple iOS limitations and lack of really allowing me to use the phone the way I wanted to.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
The keyboard and screen size of the original Moto Droid kept me from ever experiencing an iPhone. Google won the war before it even started (for me)..

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I've been using mobile phones for years, using smartphones for a few years before the iPhone was ever launched. I had three iPhones and ditched it after iOS7 hit my iPhone 5. Got a Nexus 5 that I still use daily.

The best one and one of the best phones I've ever had was the iPhone 4, bar it's home button that failed and it's poor camera, it was rubbish with my dogs fur.
But I am thinking of returning with the iPhone 6S when it's launched.

If I remember correctly this was my first ever mobile phone:

nok502.jpg

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I guess most of us are here because we were early on the iphone bandwagon, but since picked up other phones. So a comment in amother thread got me thinking about the first time I tried something other than an iphone.

My first iphone was the 3g and it was awesome..my second phone at the time was a raze 2, but when the time came that was upgraded to a pre plus.. webos is was a kiler, too bad what hapened, stupid appthicker. My first android phone after that was a Moto atrix, loved that phone, warts and all.

What about you? What was the first phone you got post iphone?

Left the iPhone 2010 and i got the GS1 Vibrant. Been on Android ever since.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I left the iPhone in 2012 after my iPhone 4 was stolen. I went on a two year android steak:

Galaxy note 1 -S4- note 3-S5.

I briefly tried to return the the iPhone at the beginning of 2014 with the 5S but I found the screen too small, too low resolution and the battery life poor with lack of a removable battery.

Things have changed a lot with the iPhone 6 plus. I decided to give it a try and I've lasted 5 months with it so far. In that time I've expanded my apple ecosystem (iPad mini 3, iPad Air 2, MacBook Air, Apple TV 3) I'll be adding the apple watch when it arrives.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
MOTODroid, iPhone 4, Galaxy S3, iPhone 5, Nexus 5, iPhone 6

The Nexus 5 was the only tolerable Android device that was about as good as the iPhone 5, but at the end of the day, the shortcomings of hardware in the N5 drove me back to iPhone.

Now with the watch, I don't believe I'll be going back to Android for a while. Which is fine, because Android is in the same rut iPhone has been in for a couple of generations. We're approaching the point where the smartphone is just a baked product.

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
I used to be able to name all of the phones I've owned but I can probably start with the NEC 525, Motorola MPx220, Audiovox SMT5600, Siemens SX66, XV6700, Moto Q, then my first iPhone on launch day, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, then I went Android...I got a Note 2, then swapped to an S4, then a Note 3, and back to the 5S, and now 6 Plus. I liked swapping ROMs on the android phones daily. I would TiBackup everything and just restore whenever a Rom caught my eye. It was fun, hadn't felt like that about a phone since the first jailbreak days. But it got old after the Note 3 and the Knox dilemma. We could only use TouchWiz based roms and that completely turned me off. So I went back. It was almost like an affair. I had my fun with Android but ultimately "went home" to iOS. :)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
5S was the last phone I used almost all the time, but around the 4S was when I started dabbling in Android. iOS hasn't evolved very much, although Apple hardware continues to be top notch and dazzling. Finally I just had to let go of the incredible hardware but terribly primitive OS for Android where I got the opposite, very functional OS but terrible hardware. Thank god Android phone makers stepped up their game, although no one makes a phone as nice as Apple yet. So I went from the 5s to the Note 3, to the Note 4 and I've dabbled with the iPhone 6+ a little bit in between there.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
The i5 was last my iPhone with a move to the s4 which I had til the Note 3 came out. From there, I purchased the Nexus 6 when it became available and for the first time in a while, I haven't had the desire to change; until the next Nexus of course. :D

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I got my first cell phone in 1993 but my smart phone sequence is:

BB 8830
T-Mobile G1
iPhone 4
HTC One Mini

My favorite is the 8830 but my next phone will either be an Ubuntu phone or a Jolla. I'm done with both Android and iOS unless something amazing pops up.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I tried Android about 3 years ago, but finally went to Android about 1.5 years ago, just after iOS 7 was released and the 5S didn't get a bigger screen.

I'm pretty neutral, like Android, like iOS - might stay on Android, may go back to an iPhone 6S if it's brilliant.

I tend to use apps that can be used on both platforms easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.