Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KelinDrawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Do they use the same technology? Is the rMB (2015) screen in any way superior to the rMBP (2015)?

Apart from the resolution and the form factor, of course.

charea

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
It appears the rMB screen is different. Pixel arrangement differs to allow better energy efficiency (30% better). It's also slimmer.
Whether this improves or not display quality, it's unclear.

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
It appears the rMB screen is different. Pixel arrangement differs to allow better energy efficiency (30% better). It's also slimmer.
Whether this improves or not display quality, it's unclear.

rmbp 13 and 15 are brighter.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its a completely difference technology based on what they said when the MB was released. Is it better, I have no idea. On the flip side, do you want to be on the bleeding edge of brand new technology that has no track record?

I do love the design of the MB, though I do have some things against it, i.e., price, selection of processor. From what I've seen/read on the reviews, the screen is gorgeous.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I had them both for two weeks and while the specs may be different, in real life use with scaling set to roughly the same setting, I never saw a difference. It may be that I am :cool: (and I don't mean cool)...

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I brought my 2015 MBPR into the Apple store when i checked out the MBR. The MBPR for sure got brighter with the brightness cranked up. Also noticed a slight contrast difference, couldn't really tell which looked better to be honest lol, both looked good. I think i have a picture from when went. Ill check and upload it.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Not sure how much justice this photo does. Click it for full resolution. And both brightness were turned all the way up. I would say the screen gets about maybe 15% brighter on the MBPR, somewhere around there. Hard to tell with Apples crappy lighting. Also a bit of contrast color difference. Nothing crazy i don't think at least.
Maybe something to do with the MBPR is able to get brighter?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 146
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.