Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoshiii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Hello I have IBook G3 700Mhz that I just replaced the harddrive with a new 80 gig drivel. I am installing OS 9.2 on it, from a retail cd. But when it boots up while I am holding down "C" it only shows a folder with a question mark. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to use the install cds that came with the IBook first?
(I posted this topic in the wrong place the first time)
Help

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
You need to boot the drive with a Mac OS X CD and go into disk utility and reformat the drive to have OS 9 drivers for the HD.

Are 700MHz capable of OS 9.2?

yoshiii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Yes, it had it already as well as OS 10.2 when I got it. Replaced the hard drive so can have a bigger and faster harddrive.
I will try booting from OS 10

Thank you

yoshiii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
It wont let me boot, it still shows the folder with a flashing question mark.

So should I try using the install cd that came with the IBook?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
yoshiii said:
So should I try using the install cd that came with the IBook?

Yep. Have you formatted the drive? You can do this through Disk Utility on the install disks by erasing the drive (and selecting a format type).

As for having OS9, I don't know much about the older computers but was your machine actually capable of booting into OS9 or were you running it through OSX (Classic mode)? :)

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
yoshiii said:
Hello I have IBook G3 700Mhz that I just replaced the harddrive with a new 80 gig drivel. I am installing OS 9.2 on it, from a retail cd. But when it boots up while I am holding down "C" it only shows a folder with a question mark. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to use the install cds that came with the IBook first?
(I posted this topic in the wrong place the first time)
Help

You can ONLY boot into OS9 using the orginal iBook CD-ROMs due to they have an enabler to make it work on this model. After a OS is released to retail, Apple has to write enabler software for it to run on models thats newer.

yoshiii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
So I cant use the OX 10 cd to format drive and than install OS 9? I have to use install cds?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.