Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Just wondering if Tim Cook is really that greta of a CEO, or is he riding on Ives' coat tails? Jobs was great because of his incessant drive for perfection and utility. What is Cook's greatest skill? Jobs said that Cook was more of a supply chain guy than a products guy. Is that it? Would it be enough if Ives ever departed Apple?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The numbers don't lie. The apple watch is a great product, while I'm not in the market for one, clearly he saw the vision and had Apple pursue it.

Ive certainly had his hand in the design, but you have to give credit to Cook for apple's record profits and rolling some new products.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Anyone who says Tim Cook is ineffective really needs to go back through the years and see just how much he's done to contribute to the position the company is in now.

His managerial style is way different than Steves, but he's a superb executive. He's the one that got their supply chain where it is now, locking out competition and securing product parts for Apple only.

...at the very least, for the "Steve Faithful" - Tim is old-school, Welcome-Back-Steve-Let's-Revitalize-The-World Apple. He didn't come back with Steve, but was brought on board very soon and is a big reason why the company has done so well.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I agree with Melrose and Maflynn. Cook is a worthy successor and competent CEO.

becneel

macrumors member
May 9, 2015
I felt that Steve Jobs was the spirit of Apple, and with his passing it seems like all Cook does is more sequels to existing product lines and maybe the Apple Watch, which probably wasn't his idea.

But Cook is a good CFO

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Cook is probably Apple's best option considering his past. There won't be a second Steve Jobs. Dunno who'll come after but God help them because they have quite a task on their hands.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I felt that Steve Jobs was the spirit of Apple, and with his passing it seems like all Cook does is more sequels to existing product lines and maybe the Apple Watch, which probably wasn't his idea.

But Cook is a good CFO

Jobs started Apple (with the Woz), and yeah, he was the spirit of apple, there's no way anyone can replace that. On his own Cook has been very good at leading Apple. Apple was different in a lot of ways thanks to Jobs, but that should take anything away from Cook.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Personally, I think Tim Cook is a much better CEO than Steve Jobs ever was. He's begun matching employee's charitable contributions, he's put a new emphasis on renewable energy, he's begun paying out a dividend to shareholders, and heck - look at how well the stock has done since he became CEO.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Personally, I think Tim Cook is a much better CEO than Steve Jobs ever was. He's begun matching employee's charitable contributions, he's put a new emphasis on renewable energy, he's begun paying out a dividend to shareholders, and heck - look at how well the stock has done since he became CEO.

True, but there are many ways of measuring how successful a CEO is. Tim Cook is doing a good job, but he's no Steve Jobs.

And vise versa; Cook was hired because of his talent in other areas.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
no he did not.

but he was the one that constructed the supply chain behind the iPhone. many (e.g. HTC, Samsung, LG) failed to understand the brilliance of his operational strategy until they realized they lacked critical components and manufacturing partnerships Apple had in place.

Tim did allot, but he never invented the iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.