Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
agreed, hopefully these are specialized, like always on voice command core, low power notifications core or whatever, stuff like that
yep....raw power just to have it is useless. Lets focus more on battery life and always listening voice control. Smooth seamless user experiences with the UI.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah, I think its getting ridiculous. I mean are we computing the mass of the sun, texting and playing solitaire at the same time :eek:

I can see some improvements in this arena, but as stated, battery life is thing that should be focused on more then how many cores can you fit in on a mobile platform.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Yeah, I think its getting ridiculous. I mean are we computing the mass of the sun, texting and playing solitaire at the same time :eek:

I can see some improvements in this arena, but as stated, battery life is thing that should be focused on more then how many cores can you fit in on a mobile platform.

Agreed. It has just gotten to the point of saying I have more cores than you do.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
You guys know those are 2 big cores and 8 baby cores right? More cores is the only way to scale power and efficiency

I dint see you people complaining about the 6-8 cores in your gpus lol

Those big cores are supposed to get 30-40% better instructions per clock then the current arm offerIngs so adding more baby cores makes sense to scale power.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You guys know those are 2 big cores and 8 baby cores right? More cores is the only way to scale power and efficiency

I dint see you people complaining about the 6-8 cores in your gpus lol

Those big cores are supposed to get 30-40% better instructions per clock then the current arm offerIngs so adding more baby cores makes sense to scale power.
I am all for more cores and more power. But it needs to translate into something tangible. Something that will enhance the user experience for me. Like better battery life due to more power efficient cores. Maybe designate some of the smaller cores to do voice control so we can have always on voice control. Maybe better threading of the processors to handle more requests without any noticeable hesitation. I am all for more power but it needs to translate into better performance and not just raw power.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
There's a constant race on android world for more cores more memory more extra this extra that simply to outdo the competition, often it seems at the expense of user experience.

The reality is Android needs to focus, make their 4 cores as good as Apple's 2 core - rather than at the moment where we have a situation with many 6 - 8 core handsets benchmarking not much greater than those 2. Which is ridiculous. It's a end user experience meaningless spec race at times.

Give me consistent performance which is consistent across the board, give me software that is written to best take advantage of it. Give me a device where everything is there to serve a better end user experience rather than for gimmicks or 1 upmanship.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
There's a constant race on android world for more cores more memory more extra this extra that simply to outdo the competition, often it seems at the expense of user experience.

The reality is Android needs to focus, make their 4 cores as good as Apple's 2 core - rather than at the moment where we have a situation with many 6 - 8 core handsets benchmarking not much greater than those 2. Which is ridiculous. It's a end user experience meaningless spec race at times.

Give me consistent performance which is consistent across the board, give me software that is written to best take advantage of it. Give me a device where everything is there to serve a better end user experience rather than for gimmicks or 1 upmanship.
I am 100% with you on all points. I just don't see some of it happening until the device makers control the hardware and software end to end.
That's why I was excited to hear about OPO and CyanogenMod partnering on a phone. But that didn't pan out.
Apple can design the hardware to take advantage of the software ( or vice versa) and blend the two together. They are the best in the business at it.
The Android platform needs to have an OEM step up and do the same without having to have a skin or overlay on an mobile OS to get features.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Arm t880 gpu got leaked up to 16 gpu cores and 80% faster then gs6 gpu while saving 30% power

The gs7 is going to be a monster!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I don't know, I mean we are at 8 cores now already, Samsung did it with it's Exynos which Snapdragon has copied the concept from.

I can see the idea behind it all, but do you really need 4 cores for background tasks? Can't 2 do the same job? And then you have those 4 power cores if you like.

But lets be realistic here peeps, phones and tablets, more so phones, are getting more and more and more integrated with our lives and are doing more and more as a result so I guess it's to be expected their power will evolve too. We tend to never leave home without our phones now.

I guess with the way it's going phones really will replace everything else? Why do we even call them phones anymore? Nokia even called it's N95 back in the day the 'Multimedia Computer'.. check out this TV advert:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Arm t880 gpu got leaked up to 16 gpu cores and 80% faster then gs6 gpu while saving 30% power

The gs7 is going to be a monster!

Heck...the Note 5 will be a monster!

I guess I be throwing more money ....

money-throw.gif

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I don't know, I mean we are at 8 cores now already, Samsung did it with it's Exynos which Snapdragon has copied the concept from.

I can see the idea behind it all, but do you really need 4 cores for background tasks? Can't 2 do the same job? And then you have those 4 power cores if you like.

But lets be realistic here peeps, phones and tablets, more so phones, are getting more and more and more integrated with our lives and are doing more and more as a result so I guess it's to be expected their power will evolve too. We tend to never leave home without our phones now.

I guess with the way it's going phones really will replace everything else? Why do we even call them phones anymore? Nokia even called it's N95 back in the day the 'Multimedia Computer'.. check out this TV advert:

No idea how many cores we need. How many does my/ our GS6 have? How many does an iPhone have?

Im just asking because it isnt a feature i care about. I care about screen size, memory space, RAM and battery life...and a few others.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I get the impression some people aren't getting why multicore designs are adding cores.

Hint: it's not just for bragging rights.

bubbleboil

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2014
If ten core are so useful, I Don see why laptop and desktop still have dual core and perform better.

In any case, they should be improving performances, power efficiency of these arm processor than simply adding core. Even x86 have been using just dual or quad core for many years

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
If ten core are so useful, I Don see why laptop and desktop still have dual core and perform better.

In any case, they should be improving performances, power efficiency of these arm processor than simply adding core. Even x86 have been using just dual or quad core for many years

My unbloated gs6 Flys with it's 8 cores! and I get 6 hours on screen time!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-14-23-05-26.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-14-23-05-26.png
    208.1 KB · Views: 101

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Oh and the famous sunspider that everyone loves

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-14-23-08-42.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-14-23-08-42.png
    406.4 KB · Views: 96

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I get the impression some people aren't getting why multicore designs are adding cores.

Hint: it's not just for bragging rights.

Isn't it to have lower powered cores to save power? At least I think that's the mobile idea.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
No idea how many cores we need. How many does my/ our GS6 have? How many does an iPhone have?

Im just asking because it isnt a feature i care about. I care about screen size, memory space, RAM and battery life...and a few others.

I think your phone has 8 cores, 4 low powered ones for background tasks and 4 high powered ones for everything else like games etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.