Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
London
I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum, but it's the best fit I could find...

Is anyone else excited to see Apple demo their streaming service at WWDC 2015 because of the possibility of seeing an Android app on stage?

This is new territory for Apple. It's always a bit odd when they show off a Windows product, but this will be even stranger.

Also, what hardware will they use, does everyone think? A nexus? A Galaxy S6? Android running on an iPhone?

Or perhaps they will only demo the iOS version then subtly mention it's also available on Android 4.3 and newer, too.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum, but it's the best fit I could find...

Is anyone else excited to see Apple demo their streaming service at WWDC 2015 because of the possibility of seeing an Android app on stage?

This is new territory for Apple. It's always a bit odd when they show off a Windows product, but this will be even stranger.

Also, what hardware will they use, does everyone think? A nexus? A Galaxy S6? Android running on an iPhone?

Or perhaps they will only demo the iOS version then subtly mention it's also available on Android 4.3 and newer, too.
Which streaming service? Apple is coming out with a couple.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The one based on Beats Music.
Apple have a heck of a lot to do to persuade me to switch from Google Play Music All Access to their new streaming service.

They also need to play catch up on this - launching it in the usual apple way of USA and then 8 months later trickle to some more countries and 3 years down the line Ireland gets it would be an absolute joke at this stage.

Global rollout - discounts if your purchase albums whilst being a subscriber, and a competitive price point (has to be less than my €7.99 GPM) and not have limits on number of devices I can access from -

Otherwise to be quite frank, I honestly don't care if they show it off on a gold plated dildo as it would be too little, too late to the party.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Apple have a heck of a lot to do to persuade me to switch from Google Play Music All Access to their new streaming service.

They also need to play catch up on this - launching it in the usual apple way of USA and then 8 months later trickle to some more countries and 3 years down the line Ireland gets it would be an absolute joke at this stage.

Global rollout - discounts if your purchase albums whilst being a subscriber, and a competitive price point (has to be less than my €7.99 GPM) and not have limits on number of devices I can access from -

Otherwise to be quite frank, I honestly don't care if they show it off on a gold plated dildo as it would be too little, too late to the party.
I agree. Too little, too late. I use Google All Access the most, and then Spotify and Pandora for streaming. I see no need to change, especially since I already have my music curated and set on all 3 platforms. I also know that when I travel to Europe, I'll still have access to Google All Access, which is a bonus.

The limit on number of devices is probably going to be in place though. As long as it is between 5 and 10 devices and you can delete one device to add another without issue, it isn't that big of a deal. Apple already has this policy in place for iTunes, and doubt it will change.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014

My guess is since this is a grifting/skimming service they'll roll it out fairly quickly. If they could monetize iMessage and Facetime usage you'd suddenly see Android apps for them too.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
My guess is since this is a grifting/skimming service they'll roll it out fairly quickly. If they could monetize iMessage and Facetime usage you'd suddenly see Android apps for them too.

They could monetize on it now if they wanted to. iMessage and Facetime on Android would be more about the sign of the times vs strictly of monetary gain.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
They could monetize on it now if they wanted to. iMessage and Facetime on Android would be more about the sign of the times vs strictly of monetary gain.

I really wish Apple would open up iMessage and Facetime. Those two services would easily become number 1 for a vast majority of Android users, since many friends and family members have iPhones. And frankly Facetime is just plain better than Skype and Hangouts (at least for 1 on 1 calls).

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I really wish Apple would open up iMessage and Facetime. Those two services would easily become number 1 for a vast majority of Android users, since many friends and family members have iPhones. And frankly Facetime is just plain better than Skype and Hangouts (at least for 1 on 1 calls).

Yea that would be nice.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I thought Spotify was #1.
Spotify is the leader. Thats why Apple is going after them full force. Now because of that the DOJ and the FTC and EU are investigating Apple over their business practices concerning Spotify

The Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission are looking closely into Apple’s business practices in relation to its upcoming music streaming service, according to multiple sources. The Verge has learned that Apple has been pushing major music labels to force streaming services like Spotify to abandon their free tiers, which will dramatically reduce the competition for Apple’s upcoming offering. DOJ officials have already interviewed high-ranking music industry executives about Apple’s business habits, but it appears the FTC has taken the lead in recent weeks.

"ALL THE WAY UP TO TIM COOK, THESE GUYS ARE CUTTHROAT."

Apple has been using its considerable power in the music industry to stop the music labels from renewing Spotify’s license to stream music through its free tier. Spotify currently has 60 million listeners, but only 15 million of them are paid users. Getting the music labels to kill the freemium tiers from Spotify and others could put Apple in prime position to grab a large swath of new users when it launches its own streaming service, which is widely expected to feature a considerable amount of exclusive content. "All the way up to Tim Cook, these guys are cutthroat," one music industry source said.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/4/8540935/apple-labels-spotify-streaming

http://nypost.com/2015/04/01/competition-commission-probing-music-streaming-services/

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011

I'd like Photos to be cross-platform, or at least on Android and rapid improvements to the web-app. They could certainly monetize this by increasing iCloud revenue.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014

They could probably get one-time fees selling the apps, which would be chump change to Apple (and maybe a net loss, since these apps keep people imprisoned to iPhones), but they couldn't get the type of recurring charges to make a meaningful profit center.

...adding, if Apple really cared about empowering their customers they'd make these apps as useful as possible - which means making them universally available. Unfortunately, that runs counter to their imprison and exploit business model.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I'm sorry for being slow here, but what does Beats Music have anything to do with Android?

Beats music is (has been) a cross-platform service. Now that Apple own Beats and have had time to formulate their music streaming strategy, it will be interesting to know if they will continue cross-platform Beats service, or pull the plug on Android & WP.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
They could probably get one-time fees selling the apps, which would be chump change to Apple (and maybe a net loss, since these apps keep people imprisoned to iPhones), but they couldn't get the type of recurring charges to make a meaningful profit center.

...adding, if Apple really cared about empowering their customers they'd make these apps as useful as possible - which means making them universally available. Unfortunately, that runs counter to their imprison and exploit business model.

Agree 100%. Only other thing I can think of is if Apple made those apps for Android ad based revenue. But that's highly unlikely.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Beats music is (has been) a cross-platform service. Now that Apple own Beats and have had time to formulate their music streaming strategy, it will be interesting to know if they will continue cross-platform Beats service, or pull the plug on Android & WP.

I just cant imagine apple supporting other platforms, it shall be interesting indeed

Yes I know windows has itunes, but at the time it seemed required for ios adoption and they haven't added new features to windows through itunes like continuity

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple's approach is to provide services and products to keep consumers enmeshed in their ecosystem. Producing android apps flies in the face of this methodology. I do not see apple looking to provide android apps.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Apple's approach is to provide services and products to keep consumers enmeshed in their ecosystem. Producing android apps flies in the face of this methodology. I do not see apple looking to provide android apps.

The difference here (and in iTunes) is the app is a means of selling content; Will be it's own profit center business unit. For that you want the largest market exposure possible.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The difference here (and in iTunes) is the app is a means of selling content; Will be it's own profit center business unit. For that you want the largest market exposure possible.

If they want users to be able to buy the music they hear on their music service, wouldn't that require having iTunes on Android as well? I'd be shocked if I ever say an iTunes App on Android. :eek:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

As a huge potential source of revenue to inject into iTunes, I can def see Apple creating an iTunes music app specifically for Android users. Even if just 0.5% of Androids 1.5billion users signed up to buy a couple of songs, that is still a lot of cash for both Apple and the record labels/artists.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
If they want users to be able to buy the music they hear on their music service, wouldn't that require having iTunes on Android as well? I'd be shocked if I ever say an iTunes App on Android. :eek:

This Beats thing will be separate and different from iTunes, probably subscription streaming ala Spotify, Play Music etc. As noted above, 1.5 billion Android users is too huge a market to ignore.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
This Beats thing will be separate and different from iTunes, probably subscription streaming ala Spotify, Play Music etc. As noted above, 1.5 billion Android users is too huge a market to ignore.

Right, that I understand. To take advantage of users urge to own a song they hear though would require a means to instantly purchase that music and thus, wouldn't that require an additional iTunes Store app? That was my question and what I'm not certain Apple would ever do. And not being familiar with the rules surrounding the Play Store or their terms of use for developers, would Google even allow an iTunes Store app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.