Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
very cool, I can't wait for the downloads to go up on apple.com

and it has a CD and DVD install, great work apple

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Is iDVD really too big to fit on a CD? It wouldnt make sense for them to do it for any other reason cuz all you would need is a combo or DVD drive to install with a DVD and you need a superdrive to use the App

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
Is iDVD really too big to fit on a CD? It wouldnt make sense for them to do it for any other reason cuz all you would need is a combo or DVD drive to install with a DVD and you need a superdrive to use the App
It looks like the CD has iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes.

And that the DVD has those plus iDVD.

This makes sense. That way the people who don't have a combo or superdrive can still install the three iApps thay can use.

And yes, iDVD is really bigger than a single CD's worth of data. iDVD 2 is almost 2 full CDs worth. With iDVD adding more themes, it has to be much larger.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Chaszmyr

Yep iDVD is too big to fit on a CD. The last revision was something like 800-1000megs.

arn

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by scem0
Is there a reason they don't use 2 install CDs?

Although I'm not very sure at all, I do recall someone saying that iDVD was like 2.5 GB, so you'd need more like 4 install CDs.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Originally posted by scem0
Is there a reason they don't use 2 install CDs?
Why don't they just put the iLife programs on a DVD instead of a 700Meg CD??

[Edit] I'm an idiot. I didn't read the thread before posting. Disregard this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.