Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Help/Tips

Old Feb 1, 2003, 12:06 AM   #1
BicyclePunk
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to BicyclePunk
Trash Locked Files

Ok, for some reason, I have over 60 locked files in my trash can on 10.2.3. I think there is a way to quickly empty the can without having to unlock each one. There is, right? Thanks for the info.
BicyclePunk is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2003, 12:19 AM   #2
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Re: Trash Locked Files

Quote:
Originally posted by BicyclePunk
Ok, for some reason, I have over 60 locked files in my trash can on 10.2.3. I think there is a way to quickly empty the can without having to unlock each one. There is, right? Thanks for the info.
In OS 9 you used to be able to hold down either option or command while emptying trash to override. try it. not sure if it works in OS X.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2003, 12:32 AM   #3
FredAkbar
macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Trash Locked Files

Quote:
Originally posted by arn

In OS 9 you used to be able to hold down either option or command while emptying trash to override. try it. not sure if it works in OS X.

arn
I'm pretty sure that this feature has been removed in OS X. I know that you can delete a file no matter what using Terminal (with sudo rm), but I think you'd still have to delete each file separately. You know what I'd really like? A Terminal command that can instantly delete all the files in a certain folder, but not the actual folder that contains these files. Like in this example, I'd like to be able to tell Terminal to remove all files IN the trash, but to not remove the trash folder itself. Does anyone know of a command for this? If I were to type "sudo rm -r ~/.Trash", it would delete my entire Trash directory in my home folder. I'd like to delete just those files in the trash, not the the trash itself.

Sorry if I got a bit repetitive there, but I hope you got the idea. I don't really have a solution to your problem--all I can do is ask a related question.

--Fred
FredAkbar is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2003, 12:40 AM   #4
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Re: Re: Re: Trash Locked Files

Quote:
Originally posted by FredAkbar

Like in this example, I'd like to be able to tell Terminal to remove all files IN the trash, but to not remove the trash folder itself. Does anyone know of a command for this? If I were to type "sudo rm -r ~/.Trash", it would delete my entire Trash directory in my home folder. I'd like to delete just those files in the trash, not the the trash itself.
try:

"sudo rm -r ~/.Trash/*"

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2003, 12:47 AM   #5
FredAkbar
macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Re: Re: Trash Locked Files

Quote:
Originally posted by arn

try:

"sudo rm -r ~/.Trash/*"

arn
Oh...My...God...it worked...lol you're a genius Arn, thanks a bunch, I'll try to remember that.
FredAkbar is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Help/Tips