Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Hi,
I am sure this question has been asked before, but I searched the forum and couldn't find anything specific.

There seem to be a wealth of text editors out there. Some more expensive than others, and some better than others. I have recently been playing with a couple of them, trying to find my favourite! I think I have decided on SKedit, but I would like to know what you are all using, as I am fairly new to this game.

So let's hear your € 0.02

scott182

macrumors member
May 23, 2004
Madison, WI
I also primarily use TextWrangler. There used to be a free version of SubEthaEdit, that is still usable, that I prefer to TextWrangler simply for the fact that it has a more Mac-like look, but I needed the FTP/SFTP support in TextWrangler. On initial glance of the way remote files are handled in skEdit, it seems to be done a bit better in TextWrangler. Unfortunately, TextWrangler doesn't have project capability as far as I can tell.

BBEdit seems to be the most preferred editor, full of features but quite expensive ($199.00) -- definitely more than I need.

Smultron is pretty decent, and open source/free, but lacks FTP.

TextMate shows a lot of promise, but IMO is currently overpriced for what it offers (~$50 US), lacking FTP support right now. A very nice feature is code folding, which I haven't seen in any other editor (maybe BBEdit??).

You may want to look at the Comparison of text editors on Wikipedia.

This is what I'm looking for in a text editor: code folding, FTP/SFTP, and projects (and ideally free!). Anyone know of anything? Until I find all these, I'll probably continue to use TextWrangler.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
scott182 said:
You may want to look at the Comparison of text editors on Wikipedia.
Wow the stuff you find on wikipedia!
If you take the ftp support out of the equation. For example, I already use Fetch and I don't mind paying shareware prices for software.

SKedit offers code hinting, auto completion & projects. I am still learning, so I find those a great help. They make me quicker.:cool:

I suppose it's a personal choice. I am just interested to hear what other people use.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
I love Smultron! I used to use jEdit, but it was ridiculously slow due to its being written in Java. I prefer the look and feel of Smultron anyway.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Another vote for Smultron. Developer is very friendly and responsive, too.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
For the last year I was using SubEthaEdit, but I've always just used it as a text editor when the whole point is network editing...

Anyway, I didn't really like how they started charging for it. Either charge from the start or don't...

I've been looking at new editors for a few weeks anyway, and I just decided on TextMate about 30 minutes ago...
I was working on a PHP script real quick and when I finished I was amazed at how quickly I'd churned it out and how clean it was.

reality

edit: and there's never been a question about CSSEdit for... editing... css...
http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
Another vote for Smultron. Simple and does exactly what I want, all the while having a perfect OS X GUI.

VIM is good too for small things just so I don't have to leave the terminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.