Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trogdor!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Anyone using the eclipse program for some of your programming needs? thoughts on it?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
trogdor! said:
Anyone using the eclipse program for some of your programming needs? thoughts on it?
I use it for all of my Java needs on Windows, OS X (PowerPC), and OS X (Intel). I love it, and it's well worth the price. ;)

superwoman

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA
I use it for Java development, and I love it too. But I do want to complain that the UI can freeze once in a while, which means I have to kill and restart it. Other than that, I don't think you can beat the features and price.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Ptui! Real programmers don't use IDEs.

Anyway, netbeans is a nice alternative but eclipse probably has better 3rd party support (plugins etc)

trogdor!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Yah, I use it for java programming in os X and in windows. I love how it compiles on the fly. It also is the first program Ive found for OS X that will let you program in java 1.5.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
plinden said:
Ptui! Real programmers don't use IDEs.
I'm impressed with your ability to view these forums with your green (or is it amber?) ASCII CRT. It's not blocked by stacks of punch cards, is it? ;)

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
grapes911 said:
I hope you are being sarcastic. Many real programms use IDEs because of their efficiency.
Have you ever known anyone to use "ptui!" with a serious comment, who wasn't French?

Anyway, people should use what they are must productive using. I do program almost exclusively with the command line and vi, because I know all the vi shortcuts and like to control what exactly goes into every file.

I also use command line scripts and pling extensively. You should see me building and deploying a war file to Tomcat on Linux, using a single script call on the command line, compared to a colleague who uses eclipse on Windows. You can't tell me that hunting for the Tomcat Monitor in the task bar, clicking Stop, hunting for the Explorer window containing the location of the war, selecting it, dragging to the webapps directory, hunting for Tomcat Monitor again and clicking start, is more productive than what I do (I'm sure there must be a more efficient way for him to do that, but since I'm ok doing it my way, I can't be bothered trying to find out).

Also, since our code is built and unit tested nightly, any code I check in automatically works with the auto build scripts, while some other colleagues need to maintain two different build environments (again, they may just be too dumb to work out how to do it once, but again, it doesn't bother me).

However, if I need to do extensive refactoring, I'll use eclipse because it's a huge pain doing it any other way, and I think it's a pretty good program. Edit: and like I said in my other comment, from what I've used, netbeans also seems to be a pretty good program.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I looked at Eclipse and dabbled in Project Builder, but I'm more seriously studying IntelliJ IDEA, which I now plan to use for some team-based cross-platform Java development.

IntelliJ used to be missing a GUI designer, but the latest release has one. Lots of refactoring too.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
FYI: ptui is the traditional way to show the sound one makes when spitting. Basically equivalent to the word phooey when showing disdain or mock disdain.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
just out of curiosity, anyone here using eclipse on an intel mac? i know 3.2m5a is supposed to be a unibin, but for some reason it doesn't like my mac :(

edit: oi, scratch that. it works now, guess the dock icon wasn't the unibin :eek:

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
janey said:
edit: oi, scratch that. it works now, guess the dock icon wasn't the unibin :eek:

3.2m5a release that you mention, but in my experience Eclipse has never been all that happy with the OS X dock. (At least for the versions I have used spanning pre-official OS X support through 3.1.)

It looks like Eclipse uses a loader program which then starts up the Eclipse environment. The problem is that if you start up Eclipse and then drag the application icon across the dock so it stays there and shutdown Eclipse then double clicking on the dock icon will not start up Eclipse. If instead you drag the loader program to the dock then you can click that to start Eclipse, but while Eclipse is running you will have two Eclipse icons in the dock.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
mrichmon said:
3.2m5a release that you mention, but in my experience Eclipse has never been all that happy with the OS X dock. (At least for the versions I have used spanning pre-official OS X support through 3.1.)
yeah, i know. it's been like that as far as i can remember.

but my only problem was that i had the wrong loader in the dock - i have multiple copies of several applications because sometimes the unibin is screwey, or vice versa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.