Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 2, 2003, 07:03 PM   #1
shadowfax0
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to shadowfax0
What happened to the Xserve RAID?

Does anyone know what happened to this, shouldn't it have been announced some time ago? Any word?
Old Feb 2, 2003, 07:11 PM   #2
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

You may recall they originally said late 2002 and then pushed it back to early 2003...

I'm hoping they're doing some serious upgrades to the whole Xserve line, to warrant the wait.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 07:30 PM   #3
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Re: What happened to the Xserve RAID?

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowfax0
Does anyone know what happened to this, shouldn't it have been announced some time ago? Any word?
MacWhispers claims it's delayed due to a switch to Firewire 2... but no other word about it.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Feb 3, 2003, 01:13 AM   #4
occam
macrumors member

Exclamation heat and power supply issues acc'g macosrumors

And macosrumors has just posted that:

*The long-awaited Xserve update will not come for several more weeks (at least), due to the fact that current 1.42GHz G4 processors are too hot for use in a 1U rackmount environment and the Xserve RAID 2U unit continues to experience persistent supply and reliability issues that Apple will need more time to work out.

So, there are several competing rumors, none or all of which may be half-true! Interesting that software issues are not mentioned as I suspected perhaps that OS X Server may need some upgrades, tweaking, or optimizing to handle Xserve RAID throughput. That seems perhaps the most likely (though I like the idea of the firewire upgrade).
occam is offline   0
Old Feb 3, 2003, 09:58 AM   #5
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

Strange that MOSR says the Xserve RAID is 2U...everything I've heard prior says it's 3U.

Probably just a typo...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers