Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/31374468/

It's taking me an age to do this! probably take another week with adding the pixel details and such. Addictive as hell all this. I haven't done real pixel art since December when I finished the artwork for my game. Maybe it's just me. but I love pixels :)

C&C? taking into note the description on Deviant Art.

EDIT: and you have to look at it zoomed in. The thumbnail image is a miniscule bit of the full screen size (1680*1050)

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Looks cool - let us know when finished! But for now, allow me to ask a stupid question: what *is* pixel art, if not exactly what it says on the tin?

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
in a nutshell it's an image where the artist places every pixel down themselves. no aid of anything, really. just a mouse and a palette.

I used to only make pixel art for my games but doing so has just opened me up to a fairly forgotten art form.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
raggedjimmi said:
in a nutshell it's an image where the artist places every pixel down themselves. no aid of anything, really. just a mouse and a palette.

I used to only make pixel art for my games but doing so has just opened me up to a fairly forgotten art form.

woah. now I understand what it is, it makes it pretty impressive. I find it hard enough to draw with a pen and paper - so you don't even make a scan first and "fill it in"? From memory as you go along is a toughie!

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
It's not "strict" pixel art though. I'm not using dithering - never liked it, both making it and looking at it. I'm not limiting myself to a palette and I'm using a bit of transparency. A sort of modern day pixel art I suppose...
anyways. just added a watch tower, deepened the woods. gonna get some more guys in later :)

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Opensword's Pixen! It's ok, crashes out more times than I'm happy with but it was free. And Photoshop to lay everything out in. Pixen stutters with a pic over 128*128px so I'd imagine it having a heart attack at 1680*1050.

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
That is very cool, you should've been around in the days of the SNES, you could've made a very decent living with your pixel art.

freeny said:
Photoshop is your friend:)

Friends don't charge you $649.00 for their company :D

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
floyde said:
That is very cool, you should've been around in the days of the SNES, you could've made a very decent living with your pixel art.

Friends don't charge you $649.00 for their company :D

oh no nonono. Back then you had even better pixel artists. When it became a forgotten art form nobody did good pixel art pics for a long time. Look at OCS Chaos Engine graphics. They managed to get an entire semi-photo looking scene in 32 colours way back in 1991. They were gods. Have a lot of respect for them.

Here's one of my much more traditional pixel art drawings.
http://www.deviantart.com/view/24624332/
Though it was never fully finished :) the water needed so much doing to it.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Bit of an update.
I've replaced the moon with a giant "planet skeleton" style thing. Darkened the sky, added in torches on the ground, added a watchtower with an extremely beefy looking cannon on top. It's all good. I just wish I didn't have any coursework or Lost to watch else I'd steam right ahead with this!

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Um, where's the anti-aliasing? :p :D

But seriously, nicely done! Pixel art has its own charm.

I'm also a member on DA, but I barely have any work posted there.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Voidness said:
Um, where's the anti-aliasing? :p :D

But seriously, nicely done! Pixel art has its own charm.

I'm also a member on DA, but I barely have any work posted there.

The AA is going to take aaaages! I can't wait. Thinking I'm going to try a new technique where I don't AA inside an object, but AA it against its background.
Have this killer idea of a mortar launching off a missile into the sky with a stream of smoke being blown back. I love trying to get physics into pixel art stills. however strange that sounds.

barrysfarm

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2005
Awesome...I love pixel art. A couple of years a go the two person design studio I was a part of sent out a birthday card that I created using an animated pixel art. It may be painstaking and move really slowly, but it really is addictive.

I know it pales in comparison, but:

http://www.lmntal.com/holiday/party.html

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Mad! I've never been much a fan of Iso pixel art though. I pixelled my bedroom in Iso once. many ytears ago!

Another update; I've always LOVED pixelling water. Especially water falls. I've got a water tank that burst ontop of a hill so it's pouring out water near the base in the image. I'd show a preview but Green Wing is on in a moment :)

All my mates are saying I have way too much free time :D I haven't even begun texturing and AA yet!

I named the file "lifes work" which it will probably end up being at this rate!

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Damn impressive rj, I love it.

I'd love to have a desktop image when you get done, if you are going to release it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.