Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Hello, i am thinking about buying a 17" MBP in August-ish. i am wondering if there is any reason to have more than 1GB of memory. I am probably going to be doing some gaming now that we have Boot Camp. if anyone has used both 1GB and something higher, please tell me your experiences. was it worth it? cost is probably not going to be an issue, but i dont want to waste on something i will not notice.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
What games are we talking about? 1GB of RAM should be okay for most cases, but more will definetely not hurt at all.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
I usually do keep more programs open at the same time, games would include things along the the lines of BF2 HL2 etc.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Well it depends what you are doing and the apps. your using. I have 2GB RAM in my iMac (CoreDuo) because I use Flash 8 and some other apps. at the same time. Flash states that if you use more than one app open at a time you need about 1GB RAM for each app. such as Flash and DreamWeaver really needs 1.5-2GB to run smooth going back and forth.
Now if heavy apps. aren't your thing you still will find 2GB much nicer when doing several things i.e. Safari, running iTunes, iChat open, a Word Doc. open,and using a few things from Dashboard. If you can afford it max out the RAM via third party and never wonder what if.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
i've heard its relatively simple to upgrade w/ 3rd party ram in a iMac, what about a MBP? has anyone done this?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Xander562 said:
i've heard its relatively simple to upgrade w/ 3rd party ram in a iMac, what about a MBP? has anyone done this?
I haven't, but I'm sure it's easy.

Remove battery, remove RAM cover, pop-in new RAM, replace cover & battery.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
With 1 GB of ram in my iMac G5, things run pretty smooth, even when I'm running heavy apps, but I would rather have 2 gigs to give it a real boost and know that my machines fully maxed out (I just don't have the $$).

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Xander562 said:

Well if it's like the iBook then it's easy (iBook takes 5 mins.) just lift the KB off and undo two screws, lift Airport Card out, push in RAM, put everything back and turn back on. Not sure if it's the same on the MBP but it should be just as easy ;)

obrien234

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
Brighton, MI
If the MBP is the same as the last gen of PB, then it takes no time at all (if you have the right size screwdriver). There's a panel on the bottom of the MBP that you just need to unscrew (4 screws), and thats where the RAM slot is, just pop it in and go. It's a size 00 philips screwdriver, so its not a common accessory unless you usually do take apart computers. I believe the manual goes through this whole process.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Get as much as possible.

I honestly think RAM is more important than processor speed in day-to-day tasks.

Oded S.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Normally, I'd say 1GB of RAM is enough for 80% of people. But with these new Intel Macs, there's always the possibility that you'll need to run something under Rosetta, so try to get as much as possible.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
It's a lot more efficiant to match your RAM, eg, if your computer has 512MB built onto the logic board, and it has 1 extra slot, it would be more efficiant to add an extra 512MB, rather than 1GB, or if you have 2 slots, it is better to put in 2 chips of the same speed and size, and prefferably make, but it won't harm your computer if you don't. Also, be careful of buying "no name" RAM, it's better to spend those extra couple of bucks and make sure you get RAM that works, and doesn't damage your computer.;)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
dextertangocci said:
It's a lot more efficiant to match your RAM, eg, if your computer has 512MB built onto the logic board, and it has 1 extra slot, it would be more efficiant to add an extra 512MB, rather than 1GB, or if you have 2 slots, it is better to put in 2 chips of the same speed and size, and prefferably make
It is more efficient, but not a lot more efficient, to use matched RAM for Dual Channel Access in intel Macs (other than PowerMac G5 towers, only the intel Macs offer Dual Channel capability.) For most people, 1.5 Gb unmatched will give better performance (due to the extra 512 Mb RAM) than 1.0 Gb with matched 512s.

This is because the benefits of matching only hold as long as you keep your total application and data usage under 1 Gb -- as soon as you hit the swap file on the hard disk, then your speed advantage is wasted. As mentioned in this thread, if you open more than a couple of programs, or use Rosetta to run OSX programs, or use Photoshop, digital audio or digital video applications, you'll breake the 1 Gb barrier almost immediately.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Artful Dodger said:
Now if heavy apps. aren't your thing you still will find 2GB much nicer when doing several things i.e. Safari, running iTunes, iChat open, a Word Doc. open,and using a few things from Dashboard. If you can afford it max out the RAM via third party and never wonder what if.

Gotta disagree here. I have 1.5 GB in my ibook G4, and I have never seen much more than 512 be used at one time. Counting inactive memory I've used over a GB, but that's RAM that could be reclaimed if needed. In terms of RAM actually in use at once, I've never even come close to hitting 1 GB.

I'm a light user, I admit, but not a newbie. I might be running iphoto, itunes, Word, mail, and firefox at once, along with about 11 widgets.

Using menumeters has really opened my eyes; although I max out the processor on a pretty regular basis, I never touch a lot of my RAM.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
dextertangocci said:
It's a lot more efficiant to match your RAM, eg, if your computer has 512MB built onto the logic board, and it has 1 extra slot, it would be more efficiant to add an extra 512MB, rather than 1GB

+1

My PowerBook G4 has 1.5GB RAM, and I still get pageouts. I'd max out the RAM in a second if I weren't planning on getting an Intel desktop later this year.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
NEENAHBOY said:
+1

My PowerBook G4 has 1.5GB RAM, and I still get pageouts. I'd max out the RAM in a second if I weren't planning on getting an Intel desktop later this year.
Um, it would seem that you are disagreeing with dexter, not agreeing.

dexter says get 1 Gb total RAM matched instead of 1.5 Gb total RAM unmatched

But your pageouts are not related to dual-channel or not, they are only dependant on the total RAM, which your apps are exceeding. And your G4 Powerbook doesnt do Dual Channel anyway...

No argument that 2 Gb is better than 1.5 ;)

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
EricNau said:
I haven't, but I'm sure it's easy.

Remove battery, remove RAM cover, pop-in new RAM, replace cover & battery.

I still can't believe I'm planning on doing that to a 2000 dollar computer.
:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.