Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old May 4, 2006, 11:23 PM   #1
findpankaj
macrumors member

XTerm application on MacOS X

I need an Xterm type of interface to do my development work. Is something included in X11SDK? I installed the package but the application is not getting invoked from /usr/X11R6/bin/Xquartz
I am getting the following error:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/X11R6/bin/./Xquartz
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
==========

Any idea about this?
What are the tools you guys use for your work. I normally use humming bird software on my office PC. It provides a great interface to Unix servers.

Even a basic Xterm type of application would also help. I don't like terminal software which my Mac has.

Thanks.
iPhone
findpankaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 11:26 PM   #2
grapes911

X11 is great. It should be on your OS X install disk.
Old May 4, 2006, 11:29 PM   #3
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

I think that you will need to reinstall X11 from your OS X disc, X11 should just start on double-click and xterm should be there.

(then again, if the only part you want is xterm, why not just use Terminal?)
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 11:29 PM   #4
findpankaj
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapes911
X11 is great. It should be on your OS X install disk.

Thanks. But is it included in X11SDK or another Software?
I can't find on my OS Disk.
iPhone
Old May 4, 2006, 11:31 PM   #5
grapes911

You do not want the SDK, you just want X11. I'm not sure where it is on the disk. Maybe try pacifist?

http://www.charlessoft.com/
Old May 4, 2006, 11:33 PM   #6
findpankaj
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapes911
You do not want the SDK, you just want X11. I'm not sure where it is on the disk. Maybe try pacifist?

http://www.charlessoft.com/
Ok. I will try once more. Thanks Guys!
iPhone
Old May 5, 2006, 12:04 AM   #7
mrichmon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by findpankaj
Ok. I will try once more. Thanks Guys!
On Tiger install disks, X11 is an option during the installation of OS X. If you did not select this when you installed OS X then you can download the installer for PPC from http://www.chemistry.ucsc.edu/~wgscott/xtal/x11.html
mrichmon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 05:56 AM   #8
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichmon
On Tiger install disks, X11 is an option during the installation of OS X. If you did not select this when you installed OS X then you can download the installer for PPC from http://www.chemistry.ucsc.edu/~wgscott/xtal/x11.html
you don't have to reinstall OS X to add X11, you just do a custom install of just that.
Old May 5, 2006, 08:53 AM   #9
slooksterPSV
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to slooksterPSV Send a message via MSN to slooksterPSV Send a message via Yahoo to slooksterPSV
When I install my X11 its like on Optional or Additional Installs off of the Mac OS X DVD.
Old May 5, 2006, 09:27 AM   #10
dr_lha
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooksterPSV
When I install my X11 its like on Optional or Additional Installs off of the Mac OS X DVD.
Yes. To install X11, stick in your Tiger DVD, open up the disk in Finder and click on "Optional Installs". After clicking "OK", "Agree" etc, you should be faced with a list with check boxes. Click on the arrow next to "Applications" to expand the list, then click the check box next to "X11" and click "Install".
Old May 5, 2006, 09:37 AM   #11
demallien
macrumors regular

Quote:
I don't like terminal software which my Mac has.
Why ever not? A terminal is a terminal is a terminal. You type text in, it spits text back out... About the only worthwhile innovation that I have ever seen in a terminal program on Mac/Linux/BSD is the ability to have multiple sessions open as child windows of the terminal app, rather than having to run a root window each time. And even that "improvement" wouldn't be enough for me to bother changing the default on my system...
demallien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 09:39 AM   #12
grapes911

Quote:
Originally Posted by demallien
Why ever not? A terminal is a terminal is a terminal.
The OP mentioned Humming Bird Software. Humming Bird is known (at least to me) for it's tunneling capabilities. Terminal lacks this, but X11 does not.
Old May 5, 2006, 09:49 AM   #13
plinden
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I I normally use humming bird software on my office PC. It provides a great interface to Unix servers.
When I discovered VNC, I stopped using Hummingbird Exceed. Exceed worked fine, but any kind of flakey connection (e.g. from home) meant I lost the session.

VNCserver on your Unix servers keeps the session information on the server itself, so if you lose a connection you can reconnect to exactly the same session.
plinden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 09:54 AM   #14
yellow

Quote:
Even a basic Xterm type of application would also help. I don't like terminal software which my Mac has.
Uhhh.. it's the same thing as an xTerm? Except no X11.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 10:11 AM   #15
mrichmon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If all you want is an xterm then installing X11 is rather a heavy-weight approach.

Personally, I don't have any problems with the OS X terminal program but there are some alternatives out there:

iTerm
MacWyse
mrichmon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 10:12 AM   #16
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow
Uhhh.. it's the same thing as an xTerm? Except no X11.
Except for tunnelling (Apparently, though i've never succeeded on my Mac) which lets you run applications with a GUI on your Mac remotely...
Old May 5, 2006, 10:24 AM   #17
yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead
Except for tunnelling (Apparently, though i've never succeeded on my Mac) which lets you run applications with a GUI on your Mac remotely...
That would be covered under the 'no X11' clause of my post.. as it allows you to run X11 GUI apps from a remote UNIX box.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 11:05 AM   #18
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Fair point, though I think thats probably what he want's to do, especially after mentioning eXceed which lets you do that on Windows...
Old May 5, 2006, 12:30 PM   #19
savar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to savar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead
I've been able to SSH tunnel X11 on my mac. I connected to my Roomate's x86 running Gentoo...some apps didn't work, but I was able to run Firefox, plus all the goofy standards like Xeyes, etc. Never tried it across the internet though.
Old May 5, 2006, 01:07 PM   #20
slooksterPSV
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to slooksterPSV Send a message via MSN to slooksterPSV Send a message via Yahoo to slooksterPSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by savar
I've been able to SSH tunnel X11 on my mac. I connected to my Roomate's x86 running Gentoo...some apps didn't work, but I was able to run Firefox, plus all the goofy standards like Xeyes, etc. Never tried it across the internet though.
I've SSH'ed to the Server at my school, but like you said, never with X11 though... Hmmm... I wanna try.
Old May 5, 2006, 01:27 PM   #21
dr_lha
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by savar
Never tried it across the internet though.
It works across the internet, I've even done it across the Atlantic (i.e. In Europe connecting to a computer in US), although that was a bit painful!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming