Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old May 31, 2006, 01:56 PM   #1
mode
macrumors member

Apple EPP and student discounts..

Hey there,
I've been looking into getting a MacBook Pro for next year. I'm entering my senior year of highschool, and though I know that Apple offers discounts to college students, I'm not sure if the same goes for senior high students as well.

But I recently found out that the company that my stepmom works for is covered by Apple's online Employee Purchasing Program (which extends the offer to employees as well as family), and I was wondering if its at all possible that I would be able to recieve a student discount on top of the EPP discount when I make my purchase. Every little bit helps, and if anyone's tried this or knows if there are any student discounts available to me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks alot!
mode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 01:58 PM   #2
wako
macrumors 65816

i dont believe they are stackable... their not coupons
wako is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 06:45 PM   #3
cyberdogl2
macrumors regular

nope you cannot do this. one or the other no double dipping.
cyberdogl2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 06:50 PM   #4
adk
macrumors 68000

Don't even bother worrying about it, you can't get the education discount unless you can furnish a college ID or acceptance letter.
adk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 08:49 PM   #5
manic
macrumors regular

How big is the student discount? something like $100, or a percentage of the full price??
manic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 08:53 PM   #6
mode
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk
Don't even bother worrying about it, you can't get the education discount unless you can furnish a college ID or acceptance letter.
I wonder why Apple doesn't offer discounts to highschool students who can present an ID. That's a bummer.

Oh well, I'll take what I can get. Either I can use the EPP discount or find a refurbished model on the Apple website, but I'm not seeing the 17" MBP listed as a refurbished option.
mode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 08:55 PM   #7
jsw
Moderator emeritus

As mentioned, the discounts are not stackable, but the EPP price represents a pretty good savings.
Old May 31, 2006, 09:01 PM   #8
Xander562
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Xander562
Quote:
Originally Posted by manic
How big is the student discount? something like $100, or a percentage of the full price??
just go look for yourself, you can look at the store w/o giving any type of ID, just dont buy anything unless you really are a student. it is a percentage by the way.
Old May 31, 2006, 09:04 PM   #9
cyberdogl2
macrumors regular

it's not a percentage at all. different models have different pricing, and you can check the price at their educational store. my macbook was 1050, but you get more off a mbp
cyberdogl2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 09:12 PM   #10
manic
macrumors regular

Im kinda asking because im not in the US, but was curious anyway
manic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:56 PM   #11
i8jon
macrumors newbie

A

Actually They do. They even do middle schools, Elementary Schools, and Private schools.
i8jon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:18 PM   #12
djharris
macrumors member

For me, (US Federal Gov't Employee, Contractor, or Active Duty) EPP savings are the same as the academic discount. Check prices under your step-mom's program as well as your favorite college, you don't need a log-in or ID or anything to just browse prices. If they're the same, you might as well have her buy it on your behalf since you can have it now. (It's allowed under program rules) As others have said, you can't double dip.

One of the best deals in either store is on Applecare, which you can buy up to a year after you buy your computer. (Don't forget to register it online as soon as you get it, or you won't be covered after Year 1)
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:43 PM   #13
designs216
macrumors 65816

I've found refurbs to be a deeper discount than the EDU route. The warranty is the same and it's been checked over twice. Both MBPs I've purchased have arrived in pristine condition, the only difference being the plain white box. You can use Refurb.me to let you know when the exact config you want is available so you don't have to constantly check. With a little patience you can get a great deal.

If you don't mind the standard screen, you can also compare prices at Amazon where you'll pay no sales tax in many states.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:04 AM   #14
Mr. G4
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk View Post
Unless you go to the Apple store to buy it. If you order online, there is no ID to show.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:58 AM   #15
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by djharris View Post
For me, (US Federal Gov't Employee, Contractor, or Active Duty) EPP savings are the same as the academic discount. Check prices under your step-mom's program as well as your favorite college, you don't need a log-in or ID or anything to just browse prices. If they're the same, you might as well have her buy it on your behalf since you can have it now. (It's allowed under program rules) As others have said, you can't double dip.

One of the best deals in either store is on Applecare, which you can buy up to a year after you buy your computer. (Don't forget to register it online as soon as you get it, or you won't be covered after Year 1)
Dave, that guy has graduated from college by now. The post before yours woke up a 6 year old thread.

I have found epp pricing is as good as edu pricing but refurb pricing is better than both. I also found that Microcenter and Frys often have last year's model new in box long after Apple stops selling it online. I picked up a new in box late 2011 MBP for $200 less than Apple was selling it for in their refurb store. I then picked up Applecare for a very good discount using my epp price.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice