Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 23, 2003, 09:24 AM   #1
Ifeelbloated
macrumors regular

Os 10.3?

Does anyone have an inkling when OS 10.3 is coming out?
Old Feb 23, 2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Bear
macrumors G3

Re: Os 10.3?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ifeelbloated
Does anyone have an inkling when OS 10.3 is coming out?
The general feeling (as indictaed by other threads on this forum) is probably late summer to early fall.

My guess is that 10.3 might be the release of OS X that you need for 970 based systems. (Presuming Apple uses the 970's.)
Old Feb 23, 2003, 09:37 AM   #3
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

This is anything but "Hardware Discussion", please post in the right forums.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 09:37 AM   #4
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

I think Bear is right on the Mark, 970 and 10.3 at the same time and 10.3 will all but forget os9 and be built to sceam with the screamer 970. Now lets all hope this happens.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 10:47 AM   #5
eyeluvmyimac
macrumors regular

what's going to be so special about 10.3, especially since 10.2 just came so recently. 10.2 brought so many cool changes, what do they have planned for 10.3?? Is this whole "Panther" thing true, is that what it's going to be called, or is that just spec?
Old Feb 23, 2003, 10:48 AM   #6
SoonToGetAMac
macrumors 6502

Anyone think it'll work with the iBook?
SoonToGetAMac is offline   0
Old Feb 23, 2003, 10:59 AM   #7
dricci
macrumors 6502a

10.3 info has been pretty scarce. I think Think Secret said they were going to try to get some new info. I have no doubts that it'll be 64-bit ready and ship with machines utilizing the 970.
dricci is offline   0
Old Feb 23, 2003, 11:13 AM   #8
zulgand04
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by edesignuk
This is anything but "Hardware Discussion", please post in the right forums.
if u look its harware/software forum, take a look on the main page.
zulgand04 is offline   0
Old Feb 23, 2003, 11:45 AM   #9
Ifeelbloated
macrumors regular

As good as Apple is with getting things out the door. I don't give them credit for getting the OS ready for the new chips if there is any, be it a G5 or whatever. That's a ways off. Come on, they're not THAT good.
I'm just waiting to slap some money down for a truly robust and well rounded OS X.x. There are some small things about 10.1.5 that are annoying but 10.2 just looks like too much of baby step to put down money for. Just my $0.02.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 12:54 PM   #10
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by zulgand04
if u look its harware/software forum, take a look on the main page.
If you look the description for this forum is:

"discuss any aspect of Mac/Apple hardware"

There is a specific forum for software discussion.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 01:22 PM   #11
pyrotoaster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by eyelovemyimac
what's going to be so special about 10.3, especially since 10.2 just came so recently. 10.2 brought so many cool changes, what do they have planned for 10.3?? Is this whole "Panther" thing true, is that what it's going to be called, or is that just spec?
I'll try to answer this as best I can.
10.3 will be released at some point, with some new features, but we really are speculating as to when and what.
As for the whole "Panther" thing, I don't know if Apple will continue the faux fur thing, but Panther probably is 10.3's codename. 10.0 was Cheetah, 10.1 was Puma, and as we all know 10.2 is Jaguar.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 03:06 PM   #12
Gus
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Gus
Sic 'im edesign!

By the way, I dig the new avatar.

Regards,
Gus
Old Feb 23, 2003, 03:46 PM   #13
beatle888
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SoonToGetAMac
Anyone think it'll work with the iBook?
an ibook? i would hope so. i would think that
all computers that are at this moment able to
run X will be able to run future X upgrades.
beatle888 is offline   0
Old Feb 23, 2003, 04:06 PM   #14
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally posted by Ifeelbloated
As good as Apple is with getting things out the door. I don't give them credit for getting the OS ready for the new chips if there is any, be it a G5 or whatever. That's a ways off. Come on, they're not THAT good.
Actually if the next chip is the IBM 970, Apple probably has a few already. And if not, they know the design specs so they can have a prototype motherboard ready.

So based on this, and the fact that minimal modification is needed to get an OS running on the 970, I expect that needed OS changes won't be what holds up a Mac based on the 970 from going out the door.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 04:57 PM   #15
MasterX (OSiX)
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to MasterX (OSiX)
The 970 has the capability to run an updated version of 10.2, but 10.3 will probably also come in a 64-bit version which will be easier for Apple than MS since Apple can just make a new compiler for their SDK and run the OS through it (more or less, probably less than they'd like, but not too much effort all things concidered). It's likely Apple is hard at work with their 64-bit stuff and hardware that will reallly bring some attention back to the platform which used to have all the power. The new PowerMac970 will probably come with (my specs here, not rumored or based on much):

Single 1.4 GHz
Dual 1.6GHz
Dual 1.8 Ghz

OS X 10.3 64-bit
Updated quicktime, openGL and quartz to run in true 64-bit (which means all the stuff we complain about now should be fixed, like iTunes encoding too slow, iPhoto and iCal's GUI not being fast enough, etc)

I'm putting all my eggs in the 64-bit basket.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 05:31 PM   #16
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterX (OSiX)
OS X 10.3 64-bit
Updated quicktime, openGL and quartz to run in true 64-bit (which means all the stuff we complain about now should be fixed, like iTunes encoding too slow, iPhoto and iCal's GUI not being fast enough, etc)

I'm putting all my eggs in the 64-bit basket.
Having watched a couple of OS's go through the 32-bit to 64-bit migration, I figure with your scenario, 10.3 will come out about 12 months after a 970 based Mac is released.

I'll be surprised if it is sooner. Having an OS go from 32-bit to 64-bit is much more than just recompiling it with a new compiler. And as for applications, with no tweaks to the source, a 64-bit version may show no improvement.

As I said elsewhere, I think we'll see a phased approach.[list=1][*]970 Based Powermac with a slightly modified OS X.[*]64-Bit OS with some of the utilities rewritten in 64-bit.[*]Applications will come out over time with a 64-bit version.[/list=1]
32-bit applications should be able to run just fine under a 64-bit version of the OS.

As for the version number, I suspect 10.3 for a 970 based Mac. This makes it clear cut what version of OS X is needed on it.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 05:59 PM   #17
dstorey
macrumors 6502a

what i'd like to see is someone thats good with photoshop to mock up a panther box in the style of jaguar with the panther fur X etc. Would be a cool look into the future, or maybe i'm just bored.
dstorey is offline   0
Old Feb 23, 2003, 06:31 PM   #18
eyeluvmyimac
macrumors regular

sounds good to me!, now if only i could find my talent.......somewhere around here........
Old Feb 23, 2003, 06:39 PM   #19
DavPeanut
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DavPeanut
Because of Apple being able to have access to the 970 long before the release, I think that we will see an OS built for the 64-bit processors coming out with the processors themselves.

I would think that a change from 32-bits to 64-bits would be important enough to change the Move the OS up to 10.5.
DavPeanut is offline   0
Old Feb 23, 2003, 06:42 PM   #20
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally posted by DavPeanut
Because of Apple being able to have access to the 970 long before the release, I think that we will see an OS built for the 64-bit processors coming out with the processors themselves.
Of course there will be an OS for them. The question is whetehr the first one will be a 32-bit or 64-bit OS when the 970 based Macs are released. I say a 32-bit OS for the first pass.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 06:49 PM   #21
DavPeanut
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DavPeanut
Quote:
Originally posted by Bear
Of course there will be an OS for them. The question is whetehr the first one will be a 32-bit or 64-bit OS when the 970 based Macs are released. I say a 32-bit OS for the first pass.
I ment not just re-compiled.
DavPeanut is offline   0
Old Feb 23, 2003, 06:50 PM   #22
vniow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally posted by dstorey
what i'd like to see is someone thats good with photoshop to mock up a panther box in the style of jaguar with the panther fur X etc. Would be a cool look into the future, or maybe i'm just bored.

That's pretty easy to to actually, just modify the TIFF file and there ya go. (remember to do permissions first)

Hard Drive>>System>>CoreServices>>loginwindow.app>>Contents>>Resources>>AboutBox.tiff

Sample: (not mine)

vniow is offline   0
Old Feb 23, 2003, 09:54 PM   #23
wolfywolfbits
macrumors member

Ahh, vniow, isn't that still just jagular fur again???

Actually how can they use a panther's fur pattern? Panthers don't have any spots! So it'd just be plain brown or plain black fur wouldn't it?
wolfywolfbits is offline   0
Old Feb 23, 2003, 09:57 PM   #24
vniow
macrumors 603

Yeah, but you can put in any image you like, that was just an example.
vniow is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2003, 12:07 AM   #25
beatle888
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfywolfbits
Ahh, vniow, isn't that still just jagular fur again???

Actually how can they use a panther's fur pattern? Panthers don't have any spots! So it'd just be plain brown or plain black fur wouldn't it?
well, panthers are also sleek and powerful...
maybe they'll make some altra smooth X in black, no fur, just sleek and black.
beatle888 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers