Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 24, 2003, 01:23 PM   #1
jkojima
macrumors regular

Sony PDAs - will they work with OS X?

I'm looking to buy an iSync-compatible PDA, and the Sony Clie Palm-compatible models really appeal to me. Does anybody know if the Sony Clie handhelds will work with a Mac?

I know they should, because they run the Palm OS, but being advertised only in PC realms I wanted to find out if users of this forum had real applied experience with these PDAs.

If it helps, I'm running Jaguar (10.2.4) on a Powerbook 867 (15").

Thanks in advance!
jkojima is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2003, 02:02 PM   #2
junkionxl
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to junkionxl
i don't think soo…

The sad part is i think that the sony clie will not work with the mac. They are more for windows. I wish they would support the mac but i guess not.
junkionxl is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2003, 03:28 PM   #3
dprlynch
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to dprlynch Send a message via Yahoo to dprlynch
I have a Sony Clie SJ30 and an iBook running 10.2.4. You'll be able to do all the basic palm stuff (To Do, Memo, Contacts, Datebook, installing programs). You'll also be able to use iSync.

You won't be able to use the Clie features unless you use a program called The Missing Sync. You also won't be able to use AvantGo (but I don't miss that program).
Old Feb 24, 2003, 04:13 PM   #4
hacurio1
macrumors regular

Yes you can!!!

There are a lot of programs out there in the web that will allow you to use (most.....not all) of the features of the Sony clie. isync will also help you with the basic stiff like, to do list, address book, etc. But you can also connect a USB memory stick reader on your power book in order to download some of the pictures (if the clie your interested on is the NX70V or NZ90 which have cameras built in.) or put some MP3’s, so that you can listen to them trough the clie.
hacurio1 is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2003, 04:21 PM   #5
jkojima
macrumors regular

Thanks everybody for your posts. I'm looking at the basic Clie model (SL10) as good compromise between the inexpensive (but limited) Palm Zire and the more pricey Palm M500. The basics are really all I want, but it's great to know that products like The Missing Sync exist.

I'll probably go pick it up tonight. Thanks again for your input!
jkojima is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2003, 04:57 PM   #6
Timothy
macrumors 6502

Yes...but...

yes, you can use the Clie with your mac using The Missing Sync...but...

It still doesn't interface elegantly with the mac. There are still work-arounds and issues that you'll need to chase down. It can get frustrating.

I like my Clie, but those who claim that we don't need an Apple-branded PDA either have no personal vision as to what a PDA can be used for, or have never used a Newton.

In the existing PDA world, mac-users are treated like a red-headed step-child. It is time for us to have an ultra-portable computing solution that is as elegant as our chosen desktop platform.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:33 AM   #7
g30ffr3y
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to g30ffr3y
i have the nx70v and what a 600.00 nightmare that thing is... first off ive had three of them, all with varying defects... fortuantely i have a circuit city warranty that takes care of that... os x and isync do not recognize any part of it either which pisses me off, even my crummy xp box wont install certain programs to it for me... so anyway after that rant, i suppose i could try the missing sync, but im not sure that would be worth the cost vs. aggrivation factor... anyway... tim whats the best newton out there and about how much would i expect to see it cost??? thanks...

01.29.04 begin
01.29.07 engage
05.17.08 forever
g30ffr3y is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2003, 12:29 PM   #8
jiholl
macrumors member

NR70 V Memory Stick - mountable disk?

Hi,

I have a sony NR70 V, and now a 1ghz Ti powerbook - osX

If I have a memory stick in the clie, and I connect via its usb cable to the powerbook...will the memory stick show up like a drive....i.e. can i drag MP3s, etc...to it and back? Do I need missing sync to do that? I sync the clie with a PC laptop at work, so really don't need to sync fully with the powerbook...have also heard that you can get data problems with palm based PDAs if you sink with more than one computer?

Thoughts?
jiholl is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2003, 01:23 PM   #9
Jaykay
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Jaykay
Re: NR70 V Memory Stick - mountable disk?

I read in a magazine (macuser in fact) that the Clie NZ90 will not work with the mac unless you have an infra-red port, they didnt mention anything about the memory stick so if that works then i might consider getting...

Quote:
Originally posted by jiholl

If I have a memory stick in the clie, and I connect via its usb cable to the powerbook...will the memory stick show up like a drive....i.e. can i drag MP3s, etc...to it and back? Do I need missing sync to do that?Thoughts?
Also im pretty sure this doesnt work...
Old Feb 26, 2003, 01:35 PM   #10
FelixDerKater
macrumors 68000

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=15025&db=mac
FelixDerKater is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2003, 01:43 PM   #11
morlium
macrumors regular

i have the nr70 (the flip-aound one without the camera), and after some struggle with The Missing Sync and Wordsmith, it now works perfectly with OS X and iSync.

i still can't get the MS to mount through the Clie, but I have a separate reader for that.

i basically use it as a mobile notebook. i'm a writer/editor, and i like to have my address book, calendar and word processing documents synced with my laptop.

it comes highly recommended.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 01:47 PM   #12
Jaykay
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Jaykay
This is a quote from the February edition of MacUser.

Quote:
Missing Sync is also required for the NX70V. And here's the main rub : we could'nt get it to synchronise with our mac via USB, either directly or using the cradle.For the most part it didnt show up as a USB device (although it did show up intermittently). However, with missing sync software installed, you can synchronise your mac and NX70 using IrDa infrared. In other words, you'll need an IrDa Powerbook, or external IrDa connection device to use an NX70V.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers