Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:48 AM   #1
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

How can I remove items from the "Open With" menu?

When I control click on a jpg to use the open with feature it takes forever to load the available programs. Looks like after installing photoshop there are about 20 additional options in my open with menu.

How can I remove items from the "open with" menu??
Roy Hobbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 01:17 PM   #2
harveypooka
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanwagoner
When I control click on a jpg to use the open with feature it takes forever to load the available programs. Looks like after installing photoshop there are about 20 additional options in my open with menu.

How can I remove items from the "open with" menu??
I have the same with ImageReady, quite annoying. The apps reside in the Photoshop folder...maybe try moving them to a different folder? I doubt that'll work though. I wonder if the Open With just scans the App folder to see if stuff can open the file you're playing with.
harveypooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 01:22 PM   #3
Mitthrawnuruodo

Find the droplets in Photoshop folder -> Samples -> Droplets (one folder for Image Ready, one for Photoshop), then make two zip archive with all the droplets, one in each folder. Keep the zip files and the droplets you want to keep and trash the rest of them.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 01:23 PM   #4
harveypooka
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo
Find the droplets in Photoshop folder -> Samples -> Droplets (one folder for Image Ready, one for Photoshop), then make two zip archive with all the droplets, one in each folder. Keep the zip files and the droplets you want to keep and trash the rest of them.
So does Open With just scan the app folder?
harveypooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveypooka
So does Open With just scan the app folder?
I don't know, I think it just scans the entire system for applications that can handle the file type in question (you can get a complete list of applications e.g. from System Profiler). I know for sure it also looks in /Applications, ~/Applications and /Developer/Applications with subfolders as well as /System/Library/CoreServices and /Spill (my Games folder).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X