Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 26, 2003, 05:20 PM   #1
MorganX
macrumors 6502a

FP iMac and unpacking/tilted screen

I though I read a post somewhere that there was a problem with users giving their screens a permanent tilt due to how they were unpacking it.

Is this true? Does it need to be unpacked from the bottom?

Won't be unpacking for a couple hours, any info appreciated.

It's been a while since I've been this excited about a computer, hope it doesn't let me down.

10GB iPod w/Dock
MorganX is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2003, 05:37 PM   #2
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
No problems at all here... just don't pull all from the monitor...

Remember the handle and the base are always the best.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2003, 05:45 PM   #3
gopher
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to gopher Send a message via Yahoo to gopher
http://discussions.info.apple.com/We...Hq.6@.3bb9a876

You be the judge.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 06:11 PM   #4
pivo6
macrumors 68000

I had a hard time unpacking mine from the box. I too heard that other people had problems too. Just pull from the base or "neck" from the bottom. If all else fails, carefully cut out the styrofoam from the computer.

Glenn
pivo6 is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2003, 06:47 PM   #5
Bear
macrumors G3

The Flat Panel iMac is designed to be picked up by its neck.

Open the box from the top. Follow the directions on the cardboard insert on how to unpack it.

I suggest not removing the protective bag around the display until after you have it where it's going. Also if you are saving the box, it might be good to remove the bag carefully so you can re-use it again.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 06:57 PM   #6
beez7777
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear

Open the box from the top. Follow the directions on the cardboard insert on how to unpack it.

I suggest not removing the protective bag around the display until after you have it where it's going. Also if you are saving the box, it might be good to remove the bag carefully so you can re-use it again.
yup, i didn't have much of a problem with mine; it is a bit tricky, but just don't pick it up by the screen, use the neck and put your other hand on the bottom of the machine for support. i actually had my friend over when i got my computer, which made it a bit easier, but my cousin got his iMac out without a problem.
beez7777 is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2003, 07:17 PM   #7
MorganX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear

First, thanks to everyone who responded so quickly. I read all the responses and the Apple.com posts.

BTW, there were no instruction on how to unpack. I took the advice of the guy on Apple.com and opened the bottom, set the box upright on the open bottom, then just lifted the box up.

I do see how some unpacking damage could occur. I didn't want to lift it by the neck so I fingered around until I found an easier way. Lift the screen straight up (it's natural motion) then the foam that houses the neck and speakers slips right out. After that you can lift it from the base with no problem.

Does anyone package a product any sweeter than Apple? So far my experience is as nice as my iPod experience. I put in the Airport EX card and an Apple 512MB SODIMM for 1G.

I haven't plugged it in, or removed the screen protecting foam, until I decide where I'll keep it. It's so sweet, it needs a place just for it, not just anywhere on a desk. Man if the performance is acceptable, I'm going to become somewhat of an Apple Lover! I wish I felt this way unpacking my PC parts ;>

Thanks again....

10GB iPod w/Dock
MorganX is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2003, 08:50 PM   #8
beez7777
macrumors 6502a

yeah, unpacking an apple product is quite an exciting experience. one note of advice: if you plan on moving it from one room to another, don't be afraid to carry it by the neck. It feels awkward, but it's the reccommended way to carry it. by the way, good luck with the computer, hope it brings lots of joy.
beez7777 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers