Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam.bronstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
I am having this issue...

I have setup osX to share with windows, wrote down the ip address, installed Bonjour on Windows, mapped the new drive and I was in business working in windows while keeping my files within OSx.

I notice that everytime I connect to the internet the network no longer works. The computer changes the ip address for sharing from a local address to an internet address. How do i keep the setting static?

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
adam.bronstein said:
Can anyone help?

I have the same problem with Virtual PC and that's a far more mature product. Most times I can drag and drop files between OS X and Windows XP ... except for the times that I can. And my router recognizes XP and assigns an IP address, except for when it doesn't. I've never been able to figure out why these issues crop up or when a new IP address is assigned, it all seems random to me.

kouljackson

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2006
okay maybe this isn't what your after, but when I used PearPC(which is an emulated VM from PC so i can run OSX) i had to create two different IP's one just for the windows stuff, and one for the MAC. No one explained why we had to do this(esp. with Wireless stuff) but i believe its' because autoIP or DHCP was trying to handel two IP's with one MAC ADDRESS. Trying creating your network with firm ips and not autoIPS.

I maynot understand your question, but i hope this helps.

adam.bronstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
still not there...

This article is describing exactly what I want to do...

http://techpedia.org/a/28

keep my files on the mac hard drive, not in the partition and work with them through a network. But to no avail... I have bonjour installed, but when I browse for connections, windows does not see the network I setup in OSX!

Help! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.