Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

traXx13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
my ipod won't update...what will i do? i just got it a month a go..before it does but after a few weeks it won't update..an error occures when i try to update the songs using itunes..the error was "the ipod memory cannot be read or written to"..what should i do? please help,im from the philippines,and my ipod is from california..a gift from my uncle..please help me..i dont know what to do with it... :confused:

traXx13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
yup..

yup..i tried it..i still wont work..what else can i do? is there other way? please...............:confused:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
mad jew said:
Are you on a Mac? You could connect it to the Mac, open Dick Utility in the Utilities folder and try repairing the disk. :)
You must be tired MJ, First Eric beat you and second the typo... (emphasis mine).

To the original poster. Tell us more what kind of iPod, what version of iTunes, and what platform (Mac/PC) are you trying to use.

B

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm pretty stupid when it comes to Windows but I'm sure there's an alternative disk checking app. Actually, from memory, if you right click on the iPod in Explorer and go to Properties, there should be an option to check for errors under the Tools tab. :)

balamw said:
You must be tired MJ, First Eric beat you and second the typo... (emphasis mine).

How's it meant to be typed? :D

Oh, and I think the platform being used is Windows... :p

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
mad jew said:
I'm pretty stupid when it comes to Windows but I'm sure there's an alternative disk checking app. Actually, from memory, if you right click on the iPod in Explorer and go to Properties, there should be an option to check for errors under the Tools tab. :)
I don't think you need to check the filesystem here, particulalrly if running iPod Updater and doing a refresh/reformat didn't fix the problem.

A thread on discussions.apple.com implies that this error can arise from a corrupted track in your library. Perhaops backing out any tracks you might have added around the time the errors started cropping up....

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=935101

B

traXx13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
balamw said:

To the original poster. Tell us more what kind of iPod, what version of iTunes, and what platform (Mac/PC) are you trying to use.

B

im using an ipod shuffle..the ipod was bought last june, and im using the itunes that was included in the package,im not familiar with the version..( what platform (Mac/PC) are you trying to use.)???? :confused:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
traXx13 said:
im using an ipod shuffle..the ipod was bought last june, and im using the itunes that was included in the package,im not familiar with the version..( what platform (Mac/PC) are you trying to use.)???? :confused:
Great. iPod shuffle, stock iTunes and running on Windows.

See my last response. It seems like this error can show up for some corrupted tracks. This would explain your sudden onset of problems.

B

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If it's a shuffle then balamw is more likely to be correct in the assertion that it's a corrupt track. You can try checking for errors using the Properties method but it's probably more beneficial to try uploading just a few of your song at a time to the shuffle until you find the corrupt song(s) if there is/are any.

Oh, and assuming you did the 5 Rs, you'll be running the very latest version of iTunes now. :)

traXx13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
balamw said:
Great. iPod shuffle, stock iTunes and running on Windows.

See my last response. It seems like this error can show up for some corrupted tracks. This would explain your sudden onset of problems.

B

thankz..

traXx13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
mad jew said:
If it's a shuffle then balamw is more likely to be correct in the assertion that it's a corrupt track. You can try checking for errors using the Properties method but it's probably more beneficial to try uploading just a few of your song at a time to the shuffle until you find the corrupt song(s) if there is/are any.

Oh, and assuming you did the 5 Rs, you'll be running the very latest version of iTunes now. :)

thnkz mad jew..

balamw please dont be 2 hard on us beginners and less furtunte people.sentmntal value are more valueable 4 us than expnsive things..thankz for ur help..

guylafleur

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2004
Tokyo, Japan
I had a similar. problem this spring

luckily I was still on the one year warantee.

I took it to the genius bar at apple in Ginza, and the guy said basically there was nothing they could do as I had screwed the software

guylafleur

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2004
Tokyo, Japan
damn! pressed the wrong button

anyway, what had happened, was I was using it on a windows machine at work, and i pulled it out before it had actually disconnected by the software, probably a difference of about 1-2 seconds!:mad:

They gave me a new one on the spot, and I was a happy camper:D

I recommend taking it to an Apple store ASAP, if not sooner, since your warantee may be finished (last June it was bought?):(

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
traXx13 said:
balamw please dont be 2 hard on us beginners
FWIW I was just trying to summarize the facts. The solution might have been quite different depending on which iPod you had, what software you were running, and whether you were trying to sync it with Windows or a Mac... If I had been trying to be hard on you I'd probably have put in a few :rolleyes: or :p .

Did you ever get it working?

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.