Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexwoolley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Hey guys, first post...so hello! But now down to business ;)

Ive got one of the new IMacs, and ive just been given a CRT monitor, and i was wondering how I may go about connecting them both together in order to have a stretch screen (being able to simply drag between both screens). Any help would be great, cheers!

Alex.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
You need a mini-dvi to vga adapter (assuming you have a vga connector on the end of that cable). You can get one from Apple.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
In the "Displays" section of System Preferences, you should be able to dictate your dual monitor setup in the "Arrangement" panel.... :)

alexwoolley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
damn you guys are quick! I like it here. Cheers for the help guys, think ill swing by the Apple store on monday and grab myself one.

Alex

Ps. More a curiousity thing than anything else, but is it possible to connect more than 2 screens together?

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
alexwoolley said:
Ps. More a curiousity thing than anything else, but is it possible to connect more than 2 screens together?

Hundreds of people have aksed whether this is possible on a MacBook Pro or iMac. I have answered them yes. I used to have a link to an adapter, but I lost it. It transformed one DVI port into two. I would only recommend doing this on the MacBook Pro though, since it has a Duallink DVI connector, and therefore is capable of running external displays at up to 3840x2400, or two 23" ACD's, which are both 1920x1200. The iMac only has a Singlelink DVI connector, and can run external displays at up to 1920x1200. This means, you would have to run two external monitors at 960x600, or as it is possible; 800x600, which is very low resoltuion and would s*ck hard. So, yes you can, but don't do it with an iMac, MacBook or MacMini. Only a MacBook Pro.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.