Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ExtraLife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
Orange County, California
Hi Everyone! I've ran into another problem...

Alright, I downloaded and installed the trial version Adobe Illustrator CS2 and when my trial was up I decided to delete it. It deleted every file that went with it except a file called "Legal/Tieng Viet.html". Whenever I try to delete this file I get this error "The operation cannot be completed because one or more required items cannot be found. (Error code -43)."

Anyone know how to get it deleted? :confused:

Thanks

- ExtraLife

ExtraLife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
lilstewart said:
Try holding down option while deleting it. :)

hmm...Doesn't work. :-/ I think I'm doing something wrong though. Could you explain it a little more?

Also, it'll go into the trash can but, when I right click and click "Empty Trash" it'll make the noise but, the files will still be there. :confused:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If you trash it and then restart the computer, can you then get rid of it when you empty the trash?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Okay...are you comfortable using Terminal?

Open Terminal type "rm -rf " (don't type the quotes and include a space at the end). The drag the stubborn file from the Trash to the Terminal window. The path to the file will appear in the Terminal window. Hit Return and the file should disappear.

Be very careful using this command...you will get no warning about what's to be deleted and if you use it incorrectly you can delete crucial files and directories that will completely bork your system.

Edit: Argghh! Darn mad jew and his simple links!

ExtraLife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
I tried both Terminal and TrashIt! but, neither works. :(

This is what I get when I tried using Terminal

"my-imac-g5:~ me$ rm -rf /Users/me/Desktop/Legal/
rm: /Users/me/Desktop/Legal/: Directory not empty
me-imac-g5:~ me$"

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
ExtraLife said:
I tried both Terminal and TrashIt! but, neither works. :(

This is what I get when I tried using Terminal

"my-imac-g5:~ me$ rm -rf /Users/me/Desktop/Legal/
rm: /Users/me/Desktop/Legal/: Directory not empty
me-imac-g5:~ me$"

Use:

"sudo rm- rfd /Users/me/Desktop/Legal/"

that should work

ircoops

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2006
its in photoshop too

I am having the same problem from this file, but mine was from the photoshop cs2 trial. I have tried all the terminal commands for deleting files and folders and even the DropNuke app - but no luck, i get the error -43 file not found too.:(

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
ircoops said:
I am having the same problem from this file, but mine was from the photoshop cs2 trial. I have tried all the terminal commands for deleting files and folders and even the DropNuke app - but no luck, i get the error -43 file not found too.:(

file not found might mean that there are illegal characters in the file name.

try escaping characters (putting a backslash ( \ ) before them) like parantheses, colons, dashes etc.

kunio

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2006
Australia
EDIT: I had a similar problem and now it's gone. Try this,

One, try to rename it to remove.rtf if you can and delete it in the terminal.
Two, download the whole version again and delete it altogether. I read somewhere when it's the part of the whole file, there are bits that can't be removed.
My knowledge is short but good luck.

pokeysan

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2007
How To Delete the Undeletable

http://www.spiderjay.com/blog/?p=37

Tieng Viet.html - How To Delete the Undeletable
Published January 13th, 2007 in Computing and Solutions.
I recently had problems with an installation of Adobe CS2 on my Mac and as a result I tried to delete all the Photoshop related files so I could do a fresh install. One pesky file eluded permanent deletion and decided to set up camp forever in my Trash: Adobe Photoshop CS2/Legal.localized/Tiê??ng Viê?t.html

I discovered that the file was actually System Immutable which basically means it cannot be changed or deleted even by the root (super user) in terminal. Even switching to single user mode and attempting to remove it didn’t work.

So how do you get rid of it? After much googling, I finally found the answer…

Restart your Mac in “safe boot” mode: this is done by holding down the shift key as your mac starts up. As soon as you notice it taking a lot longer to boot than usual you can take your finger off shift and give it a rest! My machine took about 5 minutes to load the login screen, so be patient!

julieae2001

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2007
Washington
Safe Mode Trash

Re: Pokeysan

Thank you! I had the same issue with the "tiengviet" file not deleting from the trash bin. Just a quick tip - you can let go of the 'shift key' as soon as you see the screen color change (i.e. the screen turns start up blue). Or else it could stall and take 20 minutes. I had to do to the 6-seconds-of-death button, then followed the steps to be in safe mode, and now all is well. No more 'undeletables' for now. So thank you Pokeysan for the research and help.;)

closing

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
Thank you pokeysan!!!

The exact same file has been bugging me for months!
Finally it's gone!

hovercraft3849

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2009
Thanks!

Okay...are you comfortable using Terminal?

Open Terminal type "rm -rf " (don't type the quotes and include a space at the end). The drag the stubborn file from the Trash to the Terminal window. The path to the file will appear in the Terminal window. Hit Return and the file should disappear.

Be very careful using this command...you will get no warning about what's to be deleted and if you use it incorrectly you can delete crucial files and directories that will completely bork your system.

Edit: Argghh! Darn mad jew and his simple links!

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!! WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.spiderjay.com/blog/?p=37

Tieng Viet.html - How To Delete the Undeletable
Published January 13th, 2007 in Computing and Solutions.
I recently had problems with an installation of Adobe CS2 on my Mac and as a result I tried to delete all the Photoshop related files so I could do a fresh install. One pesky file eluded permanent deletion and decided to set up camp forever in my Trash: Adobe Photoshop CS2/Legal.localized/Tiê??ng Viê?t.html

I discovered that the file was actually System Immutable which basically means it cannot be changed or deleted even by the root (super user) in terminal. Even switching to single user mode and attempting to remove it didn’t work.

So how do you get rid of it? After much googling, I finally found the answer…

Restart your Mac in “safe boot” mode: this is done by holding down the shift key as your mac starts up. As soon as you notice it taking a lot longer to boot than usual you can take your finger off shift and give it a rest! My machine took about 5 minutes to load the login screen, so be patient!

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to put it out there that this worked for me after ALL else failed. I had a folder (unrelated to the Photoshop file being discussed here) that I couldn't delete. I tried everything, terminal, delete programs, all kinds of things. In the end this was the only method that worked so thanks for posting this. I hope it can be of use to anyone else who has a similar problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.