Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:31 PM   #1
peter2002
Banned

Thumbs up USA Today reviews Xserve

Gene Steinberg gives a favorable review to Apple's new Xserve. With superior speed, ease of use and setup, and low price, he says the Xserve is great buy.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...teinberg_x.htm
peter2002 is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2003, 01:06 PM   #2
macktheknife
macrumors 6502a

Things like Xserve will hopefully get more IT managers to take Apple more seriously. Apple has many corporate computing hardware and software like Xserve, WebObjects, etc. that they need to promote heavily. Many reviewers have written glowing reviews (bordering on love letters) for many of these tools. With so many Linux and Unix switchers, it's time that Apple let more people know that OS X is ready for business.

"Far too many Mac users walk about in a daze convinced that Steve Jobs is their friend." -- "Matsu"
macktheknife is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2003, 04:08 PM   #3
timbloom
macrumors 6502a

Other than on their own website, and through independant reviews, does Apple even advertise this? I have never seen a print ad, or anything along those lines.
timbloom is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2003, 04:50 PM   #4
mikulashek
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikulashek
Quote:
Originally posted by timbloom
Other than on their own website, and through independant reviews, does Apple even advertise this? I have never seen a print ad, or anything along those lines.
I'm surprised by this as well, I wonder how well the Xserves are actually selling so far.
mikulashek is offline   0
Old Mar 8, 2003, 07:41 PM   #5
icetraxxg5

Send a message via AIM to icetraxxg5
Well the Xserve must be selling well because they released the Xserver RAID.
icetraxxg5 is offline   0
Old Mar 8, 2003, 07:51 PM   #6
Jaykay
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Jaykay
Quote:
Originally posted by icetraxxg5
Well the Xserve must be selling well because they released the Xserver RAID.
Well the Xserve raid is for a slightly different clientel. they were always going to release an Xraid (people need them, like us).

But yeah, i can see it now... Jeff Goldblum : "The Xserve RAIDhold your entire colleges files on this beautiful unit, and it can sing too"...
Old Mar 8, 2003, 08:14 PM   #7
AmbitiousLemon
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to AmbitiousLemon
Re: USA Today reviews Xserve

Quote:
Originally posted by peter2002
Gene Steinberg gives a favorable review to Apple's new Xserve. With superior speed, ease of use and setup, and low price, he says the Xserve is great buy.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...teinberg_x.htm
wow quite a rave review. although i knew from what you asid ti would be positive, i was still surprised by this guy's enthusiasm for the xserve.
AmbitiousLemon is offline   0
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:28 PM   #8
jholzner
macrumors 65816

Re: Re: USA Today reviews Xserve

Quote:
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
wow quite a rave review. although i knew from what you asid ti would be positive, i was still surprised by this guy's enthusiasm for the xserve.
Well, he also owns and writes for a website called macnightowl.com. So, I'm not suprised why the review was so favorable. I'm not saying the XServe isn't great...just that he's a mac guy to begin with.
jholzner is offline   0
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:52 PM   #9
macktheknife
macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Re: USA Today reviews Xserve

Quote:
Originally posted by jholzner
Well, he also owns and writes for a website called macnightowl.com. So, I'm not suprised why the review was so favorable. I'm not saying the XServe isn't great...just that he's a mac guy to begin with.
Very true. I would like to have a hard core but open-minded Unix system admin to review the Xserve and compare it to other types of servers. I think that will be the real test for Xserve.

"Far too many Mac users walk about in a daze convinced that Steve Jobs is their friend." -- "Matsu"
macktheknife is offline   0
Old Mar 8, 2003, 11:43 PM   #10
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by timbloom
I've seen a few ads for Mac OS X and business, Mac OS X as a UNIX operating system and things like that. They look good but I've yet to see an ad on XServe..maybe Linux magazines have them...ComputerWorld, InfoWorld, InternetWorld.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Mar 9, 2003, 08:51 AM   #11
benixau
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to benixau
Re: Re: Re: Re: USA Today reviews Xserve

Quote:
Originally posted by macktheknife
Very true. I would like to have a hard core but open-minded Unix system admin to review the Xserve and compare it to other types of servers. I think that will be the real test for Xserve.
i think it would hold its own actually. why? cause if you cant GUI it then you can terminal it.
its simple.
you must be careful though, you may cause him to switch
Old Mar 9, 2003, 09:05 AM   #12
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally posted by bousozoku
I've seen a few ads for Mac OS X and business, Mac OS X as a UNIX operating system and things like that. They look good but I've yet to see an ad on XServe..maybe Linux magazines have them...ComputerWorld, InfoWorld, InternetWorld.
Ah, yes. They advertise the Xserve in publications that people who buy servers read.
MisterMe is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers