Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman35

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2006
It seems like Apple introduced Airport Extreme a long time ago. Any thoughts on whether or not apple has plans to increase the speed from 55? Everytime I open a Best Buy flyer it seems like there are 3 to 4 companies boasting speeds up to 100 Mbs. I have a fiber connection at home and feel like I am not harnessing it full potential.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Those companies are using the "Pre-N" technology that has yet to be fully decided on. I would imagine Apple will release updated Airports once the "N" standard is fully certified.

Edit: 802.11n equipment is supposed to be officially released in mid-2007 and will support a max of 540 Mbit/sec with increased range. I would imagine that's when we can expect Apple to update Airports. Any other enhancements are cheap tricks like caching that provide sketchy real-world results at best.

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
Macman35 said:
It seems like Apple introduced Airport Extreme a long time ago. Any thoughts on whether or not apple has plans to increase the speed from 55? Everytime I open a Best Buy flyer it seems like there are 3 to 4 companies boasting speeds up to 100 Mbs. I have a fiber connection at home and feel like I am not harnessing it full potential.

If they do, they probably will introduce it at WWDC. I'll let you know, I'm going :D !!!!!!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
mad jew said:
When it eventuates, it'll probably get a name change. They won't keep the Extreme nomenclature IMO.

Airport Exceptional? Airport Extraordinary? Airport Enormous?

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
nickelbackmac said:
If they do, they probably will introduce it at WWDC. I'll let you know, I'm going :D !!!!!!
I doubt that it's going to happen that soon.
Wishful thinking really....

You lucky pup. Have fun at WWDC. If your a girl, flash Steve for me. ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The trouble with those products that work at 108 Mbps or 125 Mbps is that they don't interoperate. They almost always work with only one brand of products. As far as the pre-N products go, I wouldn't even consider anything like that because, despite the claims, early adopters will probably have to replace everything to get conforming equipment after the standard has been ratified.

As soon as the new standard is available, Apple will support it, and later on, they'll support it well.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
bousozoku said:
The trouble with those products that work at 108 Mbps or 125 Mbps is that they don't interoperate. They almost always work with only one brand of products. As far as the pre-N products go, I wouldn't even consider anything like that because, despite the claims, early adopters will probably have to replace everything to get conforming equipment after the standard has been ratified.

As soon as the new standard is available, Apple will support it, and later on, they'll support it well.
Not necessarily, if you pick the right vendor, it will merely be a firmware update. The problem is there are two conflicting Pre-N hardware standards. Only one will be used.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Yes, it will. Then it'll be called MacPort Extreme Pro.;)

I think that one reason they didn't start using 108 Mbps is because it is known to cause more interference. Wikipedia Article

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Chef Medeski said:
Not necessarily, if you pick the right vendor, it will merely be a firmware update. The problem is there are two conflicting Pre-N hardware standards. Only one will be used.

There is a right vendor?

I hate to say this, but we've faced this so many times. Video discs, Video tape, AM Stereo, Stereo t.v., audio discs, and the list goes on forever. It's just as well to wait for the end result and not make an expensive gamble for a few Mbps.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Sorry for the noobish question- Whats the deal with the letters- the 802.11 wireless went from A, to B, to G, and now N? Any significance to these letters? Any reason why they didn't go from B to C and then to D?

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
totally out of the subject, but i never got why the grades in school go from D to F, and not D to E :confused:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
steamboat26 said:
Sorry for the noobish question- Whats the deal with the letters- the 802.11 wireless went from A, to B, to G, and now N? Any significance to these letters? Any reason why they didn't go from B to C and then to D?

See this page...scroll down to the "Standards" section.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
penter said:
totally out of the subject, but i never got why the grades in school go from D to F, and not D to E :confused:

I've never noticed why U.S. schools went from D to F or why public schools don't charge.

Certainly, if you got something greater than an A, it wasn't better, as it is with 802.11. :D

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
My only hope with Apple supporting 802.11n is that they make it compatible with current AirPort extreme card slots. I remeber that you couldnt fit an extreme card into a machine that took the old 11M/bits card. I really hope that isnt the case again.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
bousozoku said:

That seems to be the way Apple works with everything and once they do come out with a new APE expect to buy a new Mac unless Apple is smart and makes upgradeable cards...

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
WildCowboy said:
Those companies are using the "Pre-N" technology that has yet to be fully decided on. I would imagine Apple will release updated Airports once the "N" standard is fully certified.

Edit: 802.11n equipment is supposed to be officially released in mid-2007 and will support a max of 540 Mbit/sec with increased range. I would imagine that's when we can expect Apple to update Airports. Any other enhancements are cheap tricks like caching that provide sketchy real-world results at best.

I would like to point out apple did start using wireless G before it standards where set and the airport extreme was using pre G techologys when it first came out.

I dont know how long they lag behind other companies at doing this but I know they release it a head of time.

Wireless N is starting to appear all over the place. Just figure I point out in the past apple has moved on wireless tech before it was standardizn and now they are one of the only wireless makers that are not using N.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Macman35 said:

I'd be VERY surprised if you were maxing out even a regular 11 mbps connection.

You'd have pretty much the fastest internet in the world if you could max out a 54 mbps connection.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
apunkrockmonk said:

You'd have pretty much the fastest internet in the world if you could max out a 54 mbps connection.

A 54 Mbps connection only has about 20 Mbps data throughput. Wired protocols have much less overhead but we still haven't reached anywhere close to the limit for home users.

I noticed today that eWeek is echoing my concerns over buying non-compliant hardware early.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Is there a chance there will be AirPort and AirPort Pro?:D

I think it will be quite difficult upgrading AP cards in MB(P's) since they're placed in the hinge, and it will require complete disassembly and a detachment of screen part...:(

So far N won't be relevant for me though, since we have 1 mbit internet at home, and though N may have better range, it'd be cheaper to just buy an accesspoint or stronger antenna.:p

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
apunkrockmonk said:

Not true. Sweden has lines with 100Mbps DSL lines. :(

I wonder when us lonely Jacksonvillers get ADSL2+. :\

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The next generation should be close, Broadcom and Atheros are conducting compatibility testing for their 802.11n products.

Should be close to kicking the things out the door.

However, 10Gb ethernet has been gathering dust on the shelves -- about time for the Pro line and XServe to get a bump with a set of new Broadcom chips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.