Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBeard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR came with my Time Warner Cable. I have some shows recorded that I want to transfer to my MacBook and edit, convert and watch/put on my iPod. The only way I've read that you can get recorded shows off a Scientific Atlanta box is by selecting "Record to VCR" and then hooking up some Composite/S-Video and recording it in analog. So I need a converter of some sort that has analog in and USB/FireWire out.

What is the cheapest solution to my problem?

Thanks.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
iBeard said:
I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR came with my Time Warner Cable. I have some shows recorded that I want to transfer to my MacBook and edit, convert and watch/put on my iPod. The only way I've read that you can get recorded shows off a Scientific Atlanta box is by selecting "Record to VCR" and then hooking up some Composite/S-Video and recording it in analog. So I need a converter of some sort that has analog in and USB/FireWire out.

What is the cheapest solution to my problem?

Thanks.
Probably not the cheapest, but it should work. Any miniDV camcorder with Analog-to-Digital conversion. You'll need plenty of hard drive space as DV footage is not heavily compressed.

EDIT -- Wait a minute. Does the SA DVR box have a Firewire port? If it does, you may be able to use your Mac to record from the SA box with the help of Virtual D-VHS (or something like that). I think most people use it to record live HDTV or cable. It might work with recorded stuff on the DVR hard drive. All you would need is a Firewire cable.

Then you would play it back with VLC and could maybe convert it to some other format.
ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.